Not sure if complicated scam...

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Nyarlathotep

Not sure if complicated scam...

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Or simple scam + weird coincidence

A couple of weeks ago I ordered some gaming stuff from an online retailer and shipping was supposed to take 7-10 days. It wasn't a terribly expensive item so it was only yesterday that I began to think "Hey, what happened to that thing I ordered?" and even at that, I was only juuuust reaching the end of the 7-10 days, if you count only business days, so I hadn't contacted them yet. Then I get an e-mail from the company telling me that they had a problem with a couple of orders, mine included, and that tracking on it didn't show it having been delivered yet and asking me to confirm whether it had or had not been delivered. I said no and they replied that they thought that might be the case and they would send a new one immediately. So far, so good and I was impressed that the company informed me of the problem BEFORE I sent them a nasty-gram. And everything about this e-mail exchange looked legit.

Figured that would be the end of it except for waiting another couple of weeks for the NEW package to arrive. Then this morning I woke up to a weird message on my Facebook. It was from someone I never heard of asking me if I had gotten my package. Everything about this message screamed "SCAM!!!!" to me. It asked me to contact them back either by text or by e-mail. The e-mail addy implied it was from someone working for Fed-Ex but I find it...highly doubtful...Fed-Ex would contact me via my Facebook account and the domain for the e-mail was Yahoo. Com. Not to mention I don't think Fed-Ex would have it sent from someone's person profile, complete with selfies. Further I googled the number that I was given to send a text to, and I saw some people have gotten calls from that number trying to lure them into some sort of prize money scam. So that sealed the deal for me.

I always check Facebook profiles of strangers who send me messages or friend requests though, just out of force of habit. And the weird thing is that the person was not only local but from my old home town of 300-sih people. Which is either a weird coincidence or someone is targeting me very specifically for a scam of some sort. I am reasonalby sure that the e-mail from the comany was legit and I am beyond a reasonable doubt sure that the facebook message was a scam. So at this point I am not sure if...

A) Everything was on the up and up between me and the company, but just by coincidence someone on the same day decided to pick me for some sort of weird scam.

or

B) Someone is managing to intercept e-mails from one of us and decided to try their luck with this scam due to our exchange

Further there is the mystery of whether it is coincidence that the person purports to be from my tiny, tiny hometown. Was I very specifically targeted or is it just another weird co-inky-dink?

Weird either way.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Re: Not sure if complicated scam...

Post by corplinx »

A

ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Nyarlathotep wrote:Or simple scam + weird coincidence

A couple of weeks ago I ordered some gaming stuff from an online retailer and shipping was supposed to take 7-10 days. It wasn't a terribly expensive item so it was only yesterday that I began to think "Hey, what happened to that thing I ordered?" and even at that, I was only juuuust reaching the end of the 7-10 days, if you count only business days, so I hadn't contacted them yet. Then I get an e-mail from the company telling me that they had a problem with a couple of orders, mine included, and that tracking on it didn't show it having been delivered yet and asking me to confirm whether it had or had not been delivered. I said no and they replied that they thought that might be the case and they would send a new one immediately. So far, so good and I was impressed that the company informed me of the problem BEFORE I sent them a nasty-gram. And everything about this e-mail exchange looked legit.

Figured that would be the end of it except for waiting another couple of weeks for the NEW package to arrive. Then this morning I woke up to a weird message on my Facebook. It was from someone I never heard of asking me if I had gotten my package. Everything about this message screamed "SCAM!!!!" to me. It asked me to contact them back either by text or by e-mail. The e-mail addy implied it was from someone working for Fed-Ex but I find it...highly doubtful...Fed-Ex would contact me via my Facebook account and the domain for the e-mail was Yahoo. Com. Not to mention I don't think Fed-Ex would have it sent from someone's person profile, complete with selfies. Further I googled the number that I was given to send a text to, and I saw some people have gotten calls from that number trying to lure them into some sort of prize money scam. So that sealed the deal for me.

I always check Facebook profiles of strangers who send me messages or friend requests though, just out of force of habit. And the weird thing is that the person was not only local but from my old home town of 300-sih people. Which is either a weird coincidence or someone is targeting me very specifically for a scam of some sort. I am reasonalby sure that the e-mail from the comany was legit and I am beyond a reasonable doubt sure that the facebook message was a scam. So at this point I am not sure if...

A) Everything was on the up and up between me and the company, but just by coincidence someone on the same day decided to pick me for some sort of weird scam.

or

B) Someone is managing to intercept e-mails from one of us and decided to try their luck with this scam due to our exchange

Further there is the mystery of whether it is coincidence that the person purports to be from my tiny, tiny hometown. Was I very specifically targeted or is it just another weird co-inky-dink?

Weird either way.
Could be paranormal. Can't rule that out.
About that stereo

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Could be an inside job. Someone at the legit company saw an opportunity in selling some information. Someone at my middle-son's company was doing that with credit card data. He was too stupid to realize that the probability of tracing it back to him was 100%.

Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Post by Tiosylanyl »

Nyarlathotep wrote:Or simple scam + weird coincidence

or

Weird either way.
C. Flounder's revenge.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

The plot thickens. I sent a message back to the person telling them that I didn't know what they were talking about. Then they explained that I should be receiving $500,000 from some sort of sweepstakes. I then replied that I understood now and to tell Ramon I got the money but I still can't start cooking the next batch until Felipe shows up with the Sudafed.

So what I think happened is that it was a coincidence I got the message when I did. But I think the reason it was from someone from my hometown is that a relative of someone I know from home got hacked and I am listed as 'someone you may know'. I get those from time to time

Stay tuned for the results of my conversation

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Nyarlathotep wrote:I then replied that I understood now and to tell Ramon I got the money but I still can't start cooking the next batch until Felipe shows up with the Sudafed.

Keep in mind that the NSA, ATF, CIA, FBI and DEA all read your email. Maybe even Obama.

Of course they will not read this forum to learn you're just joking; this place is public.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

The conversation so far. With a few edits that should be obvious

Scammer McShitnugget
Have you get your package? Text this number or email
(xxx) xxx-xxxx / scammyemailaddress@yahoo.com
Wednesday

Me
Not sure what you are talking about. Are you sure you meant this message for me?

Scammer McShitnugget
I work for the Facebook Awareness team.Your Name was displayed and chosen through an electronic device machine for the ongoing raffle draw Bonanza on the facebook database in order to show Good Citizen appreciation and your Name was displayed among the lucky winners,that won the sum of 500,000USD through a random Name picking and your money is ready to be deliver to you at your door step.
We will like you to verify your name and address because we don't want to make any mistake in delivery terms.
Here is your Ticket Number T654565219464335 with serial number 89080
Name :
Address :
City :
State :
Zip Code :
Text number :
God Bless
Text or email (xxx) xxx-xxxx / scammyemailaddress@yahoo.com

Me
I get it. Tell Ramon I got his money but I can't start cooking the next batch until Felipe shows up with the Sudafed. I haven't heard from Felipe and I am starting to worry

Scammer McShitnugget
I want you to know that is 100% real and sure

Me
I know. It's me you're talking to. I know how to be discrete. Felipe may be a problem though. I think he may have gotten busted. What does Ramon want me to do with him when he shows up?

Scammer McShitnugget
Why
Why

Me
Because I don't trust him. Felipe that is, not Ramon. Ramon has never been anything but square with me.
But Either way, if Felip shows up, I am going make sure Felipe isn't wearing a wire. If he's wearing a wire, that's it.

Me
Hey, Felipe just showed up. If I don't hear otherwise, I'm going to deal with the problem. Tell Ramon not to worry, nothing will get traced back to him

Scammer McShitnugget
Hello I want you to believe me
Today

Me
Oh I beleive you, wink wink.

ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Nyarlathotep wrote:The plot thickens. I sent a message back to the person telling them that I didn't know what they were talking about. Then they explained that I should be receiving $500,000 from some sort of sweepstakes. I then replied that I understood now and to tell Ramon I got the money but I still can't start cooking the next batch until Felipe shows up with the Sudafed.

I am sure that the NSA liked that interchange.
About that stereo

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Me too. I hope they enjoyed seeing it on their electronic device machines.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Scammers work like a call center. They are not the brightest bulbs in the ostentatious holiday display. They follow a rubric and when you get off of it they sort of start pissing themselves.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

This one is especially dumb. Two days now and he/she hasn't figured out that I am not going for it. From so far today.

Me
Oh I beleive you, wink wink.

Scammer McShitnugget
will you go and make payment now so that your prize money can be delivered to you

Me
I'm beginning to think you don't really work for Ramon. WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO PULL HERE?

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

What? How can you collect the prize money if he does not fill out the required anti-terrorism forms?

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Doctor X wrote:What? How can you collect the prize money if he does not fill out the required anti-terrorism forms?

--J.D.
That's a good point. I think I will switch tactics here.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Remember, all you can do is hope to waste his time.

You can also try to flush his bank account but in that case you have to save all of the e-mails with full headers and all of that.

--J.D.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Oh, he's not getting anywhere near my bank account. RIght now my plan is pretty much what you said, see how much time of his I can waste.

And I couldn't save the e-mails because this exchange isn't being done by e-mail. this scammer contacted me through Facebook's messaging system, apparently Scammer McShitnugget hijacked the account of a relative of a friend of mine. I let said friend know to tell their relative, but I haven't heard back.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

No, what you propose to do is to wire the fee directly into his bank account. Better still, you create a fake yahoo/hotmail account of your lawyer/financial adviser and direct the dumbfuck to e-mail it. From THAT you get his headers, IP. Then, after wasting his time--promising to wire the amount to "wherever."

"What do you mean it is not there? I wired it to the branch you live next to! No, it will not work at any other branch."

Eventually, you tell him to give you a bank account to wire to. Let me know if you get that far. In the guise of your lawyer citing "USC #287-stroke-Your MOM" to avoid Anti-Terrorism Seizure it must be an account that has at least $10,000 in it AND has been open for a year.

Be impatient. Slap him for his incompetence.

If he is dumb enough to get it, he will get it from his boss.

Then PM me and I will PM "what" to get form him and "where" to send it.

He will really enjoy the response from his boss when the account is seized as part of a criminal enterprise.

You really want to disassociate the fuck from FB and a real person. He will eventually forget you. They may even "bump" the idiot to a higher idiot who actually collects the money in the gang.

--J.D.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Good idea but it seems my fun is over as my message apparently reached the real owner of the account and they've been shut down.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Some people have real fun torturing these Cunts--for that is all they are. I never had the time and patience.

--J.D.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

I could not possibly comment.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.