Psychic Sal awarded £125.000 in damages.

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Psychic Sal awarded £125.000 in damages.

Post by Doctor X » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:55 am

CrackProof2013 wrote:I know Randi sent Peter Rip-off into bankruptcy, and how he has ever been allowed to not only minister again but to allow him to return to TV Evangelism is beyond me.
Sorry . . . needed a "moment" after the RS came back against the MFYs.

I have an ever lengthening list of certified Cunts--those who feast on the carcasses of the dead exploit the suffering of victims--which includes Pophoff, Jenny McCarthy, Sylvia Browne, and many others. However, there are a lot of resources out there to know they are all full of shit. It becomes a responsibility of adults to take advantage of education.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:43 am

CrackProof2013 wrote:The Daily Mail after publishing an article claiming she may not be a genuine psychic and the voices she hears may not be from the dead, but from a ear piece she wears while on stage.
Doctor X wrote:
CrackProof2013 wrote: They settled because Sally specifically claimed for the paper accusing her of using an ear piece to cheat. Not that she cheats in any other way or in general, but she sued for that specific allegation. She did that because she knows they can't prove she did use a radio ear piece to receive info.
They were fools for publishing specific allegations for which they did not have evidence.

--J.D.
I don't suppose the original article is still available on the web?

Did they claim that she may use an ear piece? Would they need evidence if such a caveat were used? Or "allegedly"?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:11 am

I am not an expert on British libel law. Therefore I do not know how much of a clear statement it would have to be. Would "their are allegations she uses a wireless ear piece" when they have a few credible witnesses alleging that be enough? Frankly, I think they could defend that if they had such witnesses.

Or did the definitively state that uses such as a statement of fact. That is more problematic. I suspect they got sloppy; they just assumed she did because others have and went with it. This is The Daily Mail. Read by the wives of the people who run the country.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:18 am

According to the Wiki, she was overheard receiving messages from an offstage accomplice during a performance in Dublin.
Criticisms and libel suits

During a show in Dublin, Ireland, in September 2011, Sally Morgan was accused of receiving information about her audience members from an off stage confederate, which she then repeated in her "psychic readings". Following a show at the Grand Canal Theatre, several callers to radio network RTE reported that they had overheard a male voice relaying information to Sally from the control room at the rear of the theatre. A caller said, "The first half of the show went really well but when the second half started, we could clearly hear a man's voice coming from the window behind us. Everything he said, the psychic would say 10 seconds later. It was as if she was having the information relayed to her."[3][4][5][6][7] On her website, Sally Morgan responded to The Guardian's report by denying the involvement of all Grand Canal Theatre employees and stating that her head microphone was a one-way device.[8] The Daily Mail was later forced to pay £125,000 in damages after accepting that the earpiece claim was "untrue", and that the staff who had been overheard had been subcontracted by the theatre and were not members of Morgan's team.[9]
Decide for yourself.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:35 am

If The Daily Mail had the evidence but chose to cave for whatever reason, then that is on them, and shame on them.

--J.D.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:51 am

Prolly thought it would be far less expensive to settle out of court.

It ain't cheap going after "celebrities" who are in the public eye.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:05 am

I thought of that, but if every newspaper caved when they were in the right some humongous over-generalization would happen and spam and will not someone think of the children!

Not to cast aspersions, but we are discussing The Daily Mail. They are a walking libel suit. I would rather assume they normally protect themselves and this was a cock-up in which they did the math. Also, if they had a case, in Britain one can recover costs which is very difficult to do in the US. So it should not have cost them if they had a very strong case. Indeed, this Sally Cunt could face a crippling debt along with the negative publicity.

Granted, I do not have all of the facts, and I am not a barrister!

--J. "DAMNIT Jim! I'm a Doctor, Not a Queen's Counsel with Specialties in Libel!" D.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:27 pm

CrackProof2013 wrote:I know Randi sent Peter Rip-off into bankruptcy, and how he has ever been allowed to not only minister again but to allow him to return to TV Evangelism is beyond me.
"Allowed" by whom?

Better to allow it, than to legitimize it with professional licensing.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:24 pm

Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:14 pm

It certainly isn't perfect, Dr. Matt but it works sometimes.

Simon Singh won after a long and very expensive attack by the British Chiropractic Association.

Malfie Henpox

Post by Malfie Henpox » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:06 pm

The Daily Mail is a dusgusting newspaper, they deserve it. And Sally appears to be one of the rare, genuine psychics.

My mate Steve saw hew live once. He said she was really good. And he has the gift, so he'd know. One time he bet on a 0-0 draw, and it happened. I think he won about £20. Can't really argue with proof like that.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:54 pm

And this, folks, is why conjurers don't like to give away how they do their tricks: lest somebody be taken in by the same trick done a different way.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.