Mountebanks

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Anaxagoras

Mountebanks

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:13 am

But not politicians. They have their own forum, and we can stipulate that most of them are charlatans or at least charlatan-adjacent.

So this thread is for other imposters, fabulists and frauds.

The Fake Sex Doctor Who Conned the Media Into Publicizing His Bizarre Research on Suicide, Butt-Fisting, and Bestiality
If you look up Dr. Damian Jacob Markiewicz Sendler online, you might think he has a MD and a PhD from Harvard Medical School. He presents himself as the chief of sexology at a non-profit health research foundation based in New York. His website states he’s one of the youngest elected members of the American Psychiatric Association and the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law, and that Barack Obama gave him a President’s Gold Service Award for his contributions in medicine and mental health.

Based on the information available online, Sendler could be one of the most accomplished 28-year-olds in medicine.

But he’s not. Those are all lies.

Sendler is a serial fabulist. The accomplished doctor character Sendler has created has appeared in numerous media outlets—Vice, Playboy, Savage Lovecast, Huffington Post, Insider, Bustle, Thrive Global, Women’s Health, and Forbes, among others. Many of these platforms have published Sendler’s lies and publicized his bizarre and irresponsible studies on necrophilia, zoophilia, lethal erotic asphyxiation, and sexual assault. And until recently, he was soliciting patients through his website where he offered online psychotherapy and sex therapy.

After weeks of interviewing and corresponding with dozens of sources at universities and hospitals, I’ve finally parsed fact from fiction. And after interviewing Sendler for several hours, I figured out how he’s gotten away with it—until now.
I guess it also goes to show how due diligence and basic fact-checking takes a back seat to the opportunity to publish a flashy, click-baity headline.

When confronted with the fact that all of his credentials and honors were fabricated, he had a very Post-modernist sort of defense: that everything is subjective and besides, we live in a post-truth world anyway because Trump.
When I asked Sendler during our main interview, at the Gizmodo office, if he saw these falsifications as marketing or misrepresentation, his demeanor shifted, and he finally spoke to me in a way that seemed earnest: “That’s sort of subjective, right? Isn’t everyone sort of misrepresenting themselves in every way?” he said.

Then he seemed to threaten me. “Like I don’t know you, right? You might be working here today but you might not work here tomorrow, right? And I might feel intimidated by you today but tomorrow you don’t have a job, right? And I still have mine, right?”

As his diatribe continued, Sendler helped me realize why people like him believe they can get away with falsifying their entire career and lying to vulnerable people.

“You have to understand that in the world where people use—even the President of this country uses Twitter and creates falsehoods every day,” Sendler said. “How do we then quantify the degree of guilt that you can do, right? Because, you see, if the most powerful man can do this eight, nine thousand times... and he doesn’t care. He still does his thing, and people still support him because they believe in the agenda that he executes.”
So basically his excuse is that it's OK to lie now because Trump lies and he gets away with it. There's no consequences and it doesn't matter what the Fact-checkers in the media do, or how many "Pinocchios" or "Pants-on-fires" they award him. It's the old "Look What Trump Made Me Do" excuse (apologies to Abdul).
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Re: Mountebanks

Post by Witness » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:20 am

Interesting thread start. Wonder where it will go. :)

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:01 am

The "Look with what Trump made me do" trope didn't apply to successful moneymaking activities. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:06 am

I sometimes wonder if the more absurd the claims, the more believable they are since people think, "well . . . he must be telling the truth since no one would lie like that!"

That stupidity was and is, incidentally, a cornerstone of Christian historical apologetics. "No one would make that up!"

In the rain.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:06 am

But insofar as people like to use him as an excuse for their own bad behavior.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:09 am

The old "it's to crazy not to be true" reverse logic.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:40 am

There are a number of such I may have mentioned, and it seems ridiculous that anyone would follow them.

Yet they do.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:48 pm

Most people are reasonably honest and they expect honestly from others.
How you ever met a real pathological liar? I mean someone who simply lies about everything? Knew one. A friend. Bought presents (like a quilt) for us and claimed she made it. Explained how she joined a quilting circle. Ornate fucking story. Any pressure on her would cause her to kill off her father. I recall driving around Lake Michagan with a business associate and reconstructing how many times her father died to get her out of jams. But the lies were delivered earnestly and matter of factly. And they concerned EVERYTHING. And we bought it for a long time.

John Edwards. Lied right to the faces of the people who thought he could communicate with the dead. Just opened his mouth and lied. Jimmy Swaggart and dozens of others of his ilk.

Guy looks you in the eye and tells you something. Takes your hand, shakes it. Exudes gravitas. Wouldn't you believe?

Recall the story of when I engaged in communicating with the dead? I did it. Because people want to believe.

</rant>
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:20 pm

ed wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:48 pm
Most people are reasonably honest and they expect honestly from others.
How you ever met a real pathological liar? I mean someone who simply lies about everything? Knew one. A friend. Bought presents (like a quilt) for us and claimed she made it. Explained how she joined a quilting circle. Ornate fucking story. Any pressure on her would cause her to kill off her father. I recall driving around Lake Michagan with a business associate and reconstructing how many times her father died to get her out of jams. But the lies were delivered earnestly and matter of factly. And they concerned EVERYTHING. And we bought it for a long time.
I wonder if she had any brothers or sisters or other family members. It would be fun to get them in the same room together and then try to steer the conversation to their father and see what the sibling says.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:37 am

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:05 am

ed wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:48 pm
How you ever met a real pathological liar?
Knew one in college and another that was a former landlord. Their ability to lie without any hint of guilt is unreal. Remember that lady in Michigan who claimed her dog had special powers and could find missing people? She lead police on wild goose chases for years and was on multiple TV programs before she was finally busted planting bone fragments and training her dog to "find" them. The police found bags of bone fragments in her home. Her mom knew she was a pathological liar and couldn't bring herself to turn in her daughter. This is a woman who looked families straight in the eye and told them her dog would find their missing loved ones. Sick.
Such potential!

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:19 am

Key players charged in $200 million psychic mail fraud case

Two people have pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit mail fraud for their roles in one of the biggest consumer scams in history, according to court documents unsealed this week. 
Canadian citizens Maria Thanos and Philip Lett managed the day-to-day operations of  Infogest Direct Marketing, according to the documents. Previous government filings show that this Canadian company used letters allegedly written by French clairvoyant Maria Duval to prey on the sick and elderly. Infogest ran the North American arm of the scam, raking in more than $200 million from more than 1.4 million victims in the United States and Canada.   

Their alleged boss, who the government says was the leader of Infogest, has also been charged. Patrice Runner faces 18 counts of mail and wire fraud and  conspiracy to commit mail fraud, wire fraud and money laundering. Court records show that Runner's arrest warrant was provided to both Interpol and authorities in Spain, where the Department of Justice says he was arrested in December. Social media suggests he lives in Ibiza, Spain, and the Spanish government is now considering an extradition request by the United States, according to the DOJ. 
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/07/worl ... index.html