Mountebanks

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: Mountebanks

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:35 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:36 am

Very creative. I suppose it helps to have a generic name ... like Bill Smith. Or ed.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:59 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48790276
A Frenchman who killed his parents, wife and children in a case that inspired a book and two films has been freed after 26 years in jail.

Before the murders, Jean-Claude Romand, now 65, spent 18 years pretending to be a medical student and then a researcher at the World Health Organization (WHO).

He was in fact making money by taking cash from family friends and claiming to invest it in Switzerland.

He went on a killing spree in 1993 as his fraud was about to be exposed.

In January 1993, he killed his wife with a rolling pin at their home before killing his seven-year-old daughter and five-year-old son with a rifle.

On the same day, he travelled more than 80km (50 miles) to his parents' house and killed both of them, as well as their dog. He returned home, where his wife and children lay dead, set fire to the house and swallowed sleeping pills.

Romand has expressed remorse and is reported to have become religious during his 26 years in prison.

His former brother-in-law has criticised the decision to release him. Emmanuel Crolet told French radio earlier this month: "The word 'free' is hard to hear... For me, he's won."
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:49 am

Why I support the death penalty.

Provided the standards are strict.

I also support ponies!

There is no justice. There is just us.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:30 am

My only problem with the death penalty is that the system seems to make too many mistakes.

Life in prison without parole: if, on the off-chance that we discover decades later that a mistake was made and an innocent person went to prison, they can at least get the rest of their life back. If you already executed them, though, too late.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:56 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:30 am
My only problem with the death penalty is that the system seems to make too many mistakes.
Same here.
Life in prison without parole:
But it is, as that case shows, almost never that.

And life in prison is not a punishment for a Charles Manson or Robb Schneider.

Like I said, there is no justice. There is just us. And it sucks, because you can never get that "justice." There is never any balance.

Which is, of course, why I am Team Jonas.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:10 am

Unlicensed “health coach” claims health advice is free speech—court disagrees

The judge noted that the "health coach" was free to offer pro bono advice.

A federal court on Wednesday rejected claims by an unlicensed “health coach” that the unqualified health advice she provided to paying clients was protected speech under the First Amendment.

In rejecting her claim, the court affirmed that states do indeed have the right to require that anyone charging for health and medical services—in this case, dietetics and nutrition advice—be qualified and licensed. (State laws governing who can offer personalized nutrition services vary considerably, however.)

Heather Del Castillo, a “holistic health coach” based in Florida, brought the case in October of 2017 shortly after she was busted in an undercover investigation by the state health department. At the time, Del Castillo was running a health-coaching business called Constitution Nutrition, which offered a personalized, six-month health and dietary program. The program involved 13 in-home consulting sessions, 12 of which cost $95 each.

Under a Florida state law called the Dietetics and Nutrition Practice Act (DNPA), anyone offering such services needs to be qualified and licensed to protect against bogus advice that could cause significant harms. Those qualifications include having a bachelor’s or graduate degree in a relevant field, such as nutrition, from an accredited institution; having at least 900 hours of education or experience approved by the state’s Board of Medicine; and passing the state’s licensing exam.

Del Castillo had completed none of those things. Her only credential for providing health services was a certificate from an unaccredited, for-profit online school called the Institution for Integrative Nutrition. Otherwise, she had a bachelor’s degree in geography and a master’s in education.
https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/07 ... disagrees/

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:36 am

NJ man scammed women out of $2M on dating sites: DOJ
A New Jersey man scammed dozens of women out of more than $2 million by posing as a US service member — who was stationed overseas and looking for love on internet dating sites, according to federal prosecutors.

Rubbin Sarpong, 35, of Cumberland County, would allegedly “woo” his victims online and then convince them to send him money under the promise that he’d be sending back “gold bars” from the Middle East.

Using “myriad email accounts and Voice Over Internet protocol phone numbers,” prosecutors say Sarpong and a number of conspirators communicated with over 30 women and instructed them to wire him money.

“Between January 2016 and Sept. 3, 2019, Sarpong and his conspirators, several of whom reside in Ghana, allegedly participated in an online romance scheme, defrauding victims in New Jersey and elsewhere,” said Department of Justice officials in a press release Wednesday.

“Sarpong and the conspirators set up dating profiles on various dating websites, using fictitious or stolen identities and posing as United States military personnel who were stationed overseas,” the release said. “They contacted victims through the dating websites and then pretended to strike up a romantic relationship with them. After establishing virtual romantic relationships with victims on the online dating platforms and via email, the conspirators asked them for money, often for the purported purpose of paying to ship gold bars to the United States. Although the stories varied, most often Sarpong and the conspirators claimed to be military personnel stationed in Syria who received, recovered, or were awarded gold bars. The conspirators told many victims that their money would be returned once the gold bars were received in the United States.”
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare