False Unemployment Insurance Claims

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

False Unemployment Insurance Claims

Post by Pyrrho »

Yup I am now part of the statistics. Someone filed for unemployment benefits using my name and address. I got two pieces of paper mail from Ohio with a temporary password and a temporary username. The password uses the last 4 digits of my Social Security Number. Have notified HR and the bank, will have to call Ohio Job and Family Services tomorrow to let them know it is fraudulent.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
xouper
Title: mere ghost of his former self

Re: False Unemployment Insurance Claims

Post by xouper »

Wow. That sucks.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

I did call the unemployment services agency and the agent said that the fraudulent application had already been flagged for review, and they added a notification that I have confirmed it to be fraudulent. I have placed a "initial fraud alert" with the credit reporting companies. That will require businesses to obtain confirmation of identity for anyone who tries to open new credit in my name. If that is not sufficient I will place a "security freeze" which will require my personal consent to any new credit applications. My bank will set a PIN that I will have to provide to get any bank account information whenever I call the bank. Bank said that the unemployment application is likely to be "malicious" in that they can't get money that is sent to my home address anyway, that they don't know yet where the data breach is or was--quite a few people where I work have been subjected to this, and people at other companies have been as well. It's become a big problem lately. So they recommended the fraud alert and if necessary, the security freeze. I will probably also sign up at Lifelock or another ID theft monitoring service. To help me keep my mind right.

https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Med ... idance#faq
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Jimmy the Gent
Title: Goodfella

Post by Jimmy the Gent »

Gimme my fuckin' money!
You trying to be a wiseguy with me?
Witness

Post by Witness »

Sorry to hear that, Pyrrho. Hope the trouble ends there. :|
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Credit report shows no new credit applications so that is good.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Signed up with an ID monitoring and fraud remediation service. Was a bit of work looking at all the "top 10" reviews, comparing plans and pricing, figuring out this that and the other thing, entering private data into yet another database (but the criminals already have it, obviously), etc. but doing nothing is not a good idea given the situation. I'm debating whether or not to issue a credit freeze.

FWIW

https://www.consumerreports.org/identit ... ese-steps/

https://www.consumerreports.org/identit ... o-for-you/
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Also...over the past several months we've been getting spam calls at the house and on my cell phone. Most of them are the "we've been trying to contact you about your vehicle warranty" but some of them are simply, "Is Pyrrho there?" which I conclude is an attempt to verify that the phone number they have is correct for me OR they are trying to trick me into saying "Yes" which would be used to invoke some kind of contract or other, I have no idea. So a proper call blocking app and home phone are next on the list. My cell phone is a bit outdated so I am considering getting a new one, or I go back to using a cheap ass flip phone that, you know, is just for phone calls, none of this here Internet malarkey.