What's killing us this week?

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: What's killing us this week?

Post by Doctor X » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:14 am

Positive thoughts.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:53 am

Air Pollution Is Killing Millions More People Than We Thought

Air pollution could be killing 8.8 million people worldwide each year—almost double the figure previously thought, that's according to the authors of a study, who said heir findings highlighted the “urgent and important” need to tackle the issue.

Deaths caused by air pollution appear to have overtaken those caused by smoking, according to a study published in the European Heart Journal. In 2015, air pollution was thought to be responsible for 8.79 million deaths, compared with the 7.2 million caused by tobacco smoking, the study—which focused on Europe—found.

An additional 790,000 deaths in Europe were likely caused by air pollution, with between 40 to 80 percent of those associated with cardiovascular disease, according to the study. Fine particulate matter could be shaving 2.2 years off the life of the average European, likely due to a combination of densely populated areas and poor air quality, the authors of the study warned.
https://www.newsweek.com/air-pollution- ... le-1358195

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:32 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:35 am

Bruce wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:47 am
Dad opted to start chemo treatments for his stage 4 pancreatic cancer this week, even though it's only expected to extend his 3 to 6 month life expectancy by a few months. He's 67, 340lbs, and drinks about a case of Pepsi a month. Prior to the cancer diagnosis, he's never had any health problems in his life.

I was there when he met the cancer doc that will be monitoring him during the chemo treatments. He asked dad about his appetite and if he had lost any weight. No trouble there. Then the doc said, "Well, I don't want you losing any weight, and I want you to eat as much as you can."

I haven't seen my dad smile like that in years. He's been waiting for years to find a doctor who would tell him that. The only way it could have been better is if he had said, "And I want you to bathe in Pepsi every night, sleep on a pillow of hamburgers and, wrap yourself in a warm blanket made of bacon. There are no more rules. Live it up while you can."
Sorry Bruce.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:56 am

Thanks. I think he's on his way to accepting it. We had several talks. Just hope he takes the pain meds when the time comes and doesn't try to tough it out. He says he won't, but I think he still hates pills more than pain. I've been calling frequently, trying to keep his spirits up. He still has his sense of humor.
Such potential!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:37 am

Does Roundup cancer? Jury says yes:

A Man Said He Got Cancer After Spraying Monsanto's Weed Killer. A Jury Agreed. (Blame Buzzfeed for the headline)
A federal jury in San Francisco has found that a commonly used weed killer played a significant role in causing a California man's cancer, delivering another blow to the agrochemical giant Monsanto as it fights a similar decision reached last year.

In a verdict announced Tuesday, jurors ruled in favor of Edwin Hardeman, a 70-year-old Sonoma County man, finding that exposure to the herbicide Roundup was "a substantial factor" in the development of his cancer.
(There was a similar verdict last year. But is there any compelling scientific evidence?)
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:08 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyphosate#Toxicity
Cancer
The consensus among national pesticide regulatory agencies and scientific organizations is that labeled uses of glyphosate have demonstrated no evidence of human carcinogenicity.[92][93] Organizations such as the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Food and Agriculture Organization, European Commission, Canadian Pest Management Regulatory Agency, and the German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment[94] have concluded that there is no evidence that glyphosate poses a carcinogenic or genotoxic risk to humans.[92] The final assessment of the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority in 2017 was that "glyphosate does not pose a carcinogenic risk to humans".[92][95] The EPA has classified glyphosate as Group E, meaning "evidence of non-carcinogenicity in humans".[92][96] Only one international scientific organization, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), affiliated with the WHO, has made claims of carcinogenicity in research reviews. The IARC has been criticized for its assessment methodology by failing to consider the broad literature and only assessing hazard rather than risk.[92]

There is weak evidence human cancer risk might increase as a result of occupational exposure to large amounts of glyphosate, such as agricultural work, but no good evidence of such a risk from home use, such as in domestic gardening.[97] When weak statistical associations with cancer have been found, such observations have been attributed to bias and confounding in correlational studies due to workers often being exposed to other known carcinogens;[98] meta-analyses that show an effect between glyphosate use and non-Hodgkin lymphoma have been criticized for not assessing these factors, underlying quality of studies being reviewed, or whether the relationship is causal rather than only correlational.[98]
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:08 am

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:31 am

What better science board do you want than twelve members of your community?!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Moe
Title: AAM Local 6 7/8ths

Post by Moe » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:48 pm

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arc ... es/586153/
In a single drop of water from Lake Ontario, you can find an abundance of algae. In these algae, scientists in 2015 found a new virus belonging to an enigmatic group called giant viruses. And nested inside these giant viruses, scientists have now found yet more novel viruses—three tiny ones that they have named CpV-PLV Larry, Curly, and Moe.

“I originally named them to see if I can get away with it,” says Joshua Stough, now a postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Michigan. He’s a co-author of a new paper describing and naming the Three Stooges, so, in fact, he has gotten away with it.
Oh a wise guy, eh? An egghead!
Why you numbskull! Pick out two!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:01 pm

No Shemp!?? Outrageous!!!
William Shakespeare

shemp
Title: crazy as fuck

Post by shemp » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:11 am

Yeah, where's mine????
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:19 am

shemp wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:11 am
Yeah, where's mine????
That would be anticlimactic – you're a big virus all by yourself.

shemp
Title: crazy as fuck

Post by shemp » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:26 am

I resemble that remark!
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:51 pm

Some food for thought regarding opioids

William Shakespeare

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:39 am

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:36 pm

Dead link apparently
William Shakespeare

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:05 pm

Certainly brain dead voters tweeting about it all.

"Don't eat meat, Umkay? 'Cause meat's bayud. Umkay?"
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:31 am

Hundreds of thousands of marine viruses discovered in world's oceans

Survey reveals virus diversity hotspots in the Arctic Ocean, as well as the surface waters of temperate and tropical seas.

The world’s oceans harbour nearly 200,000 virus species — two orders of magnitude more than scientists had previously recorded, according to a survey of marine microbes. Researchers also found an unexpected pocket of viral diversity in the Arctic Ocean.

The results, published on 25 April in Cell, provide scientists with a foundation for understanding how viruses affect marine ecosystems — including the effect they have on the way organisms interact and the ocean’s response to climate change.

Every spoonful of seawater is filled with millions of viruses. And although most are harmless to people, they can infect a variety of marine life such as whales, crustaceans and bacteria. Mapping viral biodiversity will provide a more accurate depiction of what’s happening in the ocean and enable researchers to better predict its future, says Ahmed Zayed, a microbiologist at the Ohio State University in Columbus and co-lead author on the study.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-01329-w

Better stay on land. :shark:

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:24 am