The Official Ebola Thread

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The Official Ebola Thread

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:34 am

Natural causes.

People just explode.

--J. "Intense!" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:42 pm

Spontanious combustion?

Oh well, the story in Fiji continues...
5 Locals Under Observation After Mystery Illness Linked to US Couple's Deaths
Five locals who are understood to have had direct contact with the US couple who died in Nadi, are now under observation at the Nadi Hospital.

The two security guards, two medical staff and a Police officer are believed to have shown symptoms similar to those taht the afflicted Americans before their deaths.
There is more...
Patients Under Observation In Fiji Over Mystery Illness Not Allowed Visitors
A man has revealed that his daughter is one of the two nurses among the five patients under observation at Nadi Hospital over a mystery illness.
The man, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue, said they tried to visit her daughter in hospital.

But they were told no visitors were allowed into the rooms. They watched her through the glass window from outside and she appeared to be getting better, he said.

The man said they dropped off some food for here and the medical professionals, wearing masks, took it in.
It should be safe to assume the nurses were using "basic protective measures" when dealing with sick patients (the two Americans), and that may not have been enough, thus the masks...

So far, they have NO idea what the two vacationing Americans died from....
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:51 am

Skeeve wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:42 pm
Spontanious combustion?

Diseases do not travel!

Silly!

--J. "Ev'ryBODY Dead!" D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:57 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:51 am
Skeeve wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:42 pm
Spontanious combustion?
Diseases do not travel!

Silly!

--J. "Ev'ryBODY Dead!" D.
Well, maybe they just incubate during travel?

In other news...
Large Ebola outbreaks new normal, says WHO
Previous Ebola outbreaks affected relatively small numbers of people.

But the Democratic Republic of Congo is dealing with the second largest outbreak ever, just three years after the world's largest one ended.

It might take 2 more years to contain Congo Ebola outbreak, WHO official says
In a "worst-case scenario," the current Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo may take up to two years to end, a World Health Organization official said Thursday.
And it is not even summer yet....

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:22 pm

Update on Fiji Story: Texas Couple Who Died in Fiji Emailed Relatives: ‘Throwing up for 8 Hours’
A Texas married couple who died while on vacation in Fiji sent emails about being violently ill before their deaths. However, the messages didn’t seem to indicate their lives were in danger.
We are both going to doctor now,” Michelle Paul, 35, wrote to her mother, Juliet Calanog, after they both arrived in the Pacific Island nation.

She said, “We have been throwing up for 8 hours. Dave has diarrhea. My hands are numb. We will text when we can.”
Spoiler:

Yea I know, we have no idea what they (the couple in Fiji) DID have.

But they describe stage 3 symptoms, so... IF it was ebola, they could have been infected in Texas, traveled to Fiji, and died....

Who knows, maybe it is something even worse we still have no idea...

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:27 pm

I think Ebola is really, really unlikely.

We now know all three died from internal hemorrhaging. Maybe they were intentionally poisoned with some sort of anticoagulant rodenticide.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:07 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:27 pm
I think Ebola is really, really unlikely.

We now know all three died from internal hemorrhaging. Maybe they were intentionally poisoned with some sort of anticoagulant rodenticide.
All three?
Are you talking about the deaths in the Dominician Republic?
3 Americans die at same resort in Dominican Republic

I was talking about the two Texans, who left Ft. Worth Texas, and went to Fiji.
Yes five other people have been put in quarinteen but so far as I know they are still alive.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:41 pm

Could it even just be a case of food poisoning?

I just don't see Ebola being very high on the list of possible causes, even if some of the symptoms are similar to symptoms of Ebola. Fever and vomiting Vomiting and diarrhea can be caused by many diseases.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:28 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:41 pm

I just don't see Ebola being very high on the list of possible causes, even if some of the symptoms are similar to symptoms of Ebola. Fever and vomiting Vomiting and diarrhea can be caused by many diseases.
Well it could be, however, IF that is the case, then why have people who came into contact with this couple from Texas been put into isolation?

Update: Fiji's Nadi Hospital Ward In Isolation Mode

If you read you will find they STILL do not know what they died from.
The mininistry of Health and Medical Services, Police, other agencies and US authorities are also carrying out investigations into the mysterious deaths of the couple.
The couple were staying at the hotel after ariving in the country on May 22...
Mrs Paul died on May 25. Mr Paul died three days later at Lautoka Hospital.
It seems to be taking quite a while to find the cause of death...
I would not expect an extremly long time for poison to be detected...

I guess we'll see...

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:32 pm

Skeeve wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:28 pm
Anaxagoras wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:41 pm

Well it could be, however, IF that is the case, then why have people who came into contact with this couple from Texas been put into isolation?

Update: Fiji's Nadi Hospital Ward In Isolation Mode

If you read you will find they STILL do not know what they died from.
The mininistry of Health and Medical Services, Police, other agencies and US authorities are also carrying out investigations into the mysterious deaths of the couple.
The couple were staying at the hotel after ariving in the country on May 22...
Mrs Paul died on May 25. Mr Paul died three days later at Lautoka Hospital.
It seems to be taking quite a while to find the cause of death...
I would not expect an extremly long time for poison to be detected...

I guess we'll see...
As a precaution because the cause is unknown.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:51 pm

Meanwhile back in Africa: IFRC Says Ebola at Tipping Point in Congo With 2,000 Cases
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, the world’s largest humanitarian organization, said the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has reached a tipping point with 2,000 cases.

“The numbers being reported have risen dramatically,” the IFRC said via Twitter on Monday. The organization wants to “reset” the Ebola response as case numbers ramp up.
WHO: One in four DR Congo Ebola cases could be going undetected
One-quarter of Ebola infections in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo's latest outbreak of the disease may be going undetected, the World Health Organization (WHO) has warned.
Considering Ebola is now in a war zone, this is REALLY NOT good...

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:40 pm

Recent evidences from the Dominican Republic suggest that Ebola is really butt-hurt MFYs fans.

What?

--J.D.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:08 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:40 pm
Recent evidences from the Dominican Republic suggest that Ebola is really butt-hurt MFYs fans.

What?

--J.D.
I guess we need a break for some comedy...okay...

Ebola is a breath mint, NO Ebola is a candy mint!
Stop, stop, your both right!!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:28 pm

Sorry Skeeve.

You will never win a bad taste contest in a thread where Ebola-chan cosplay has already been posted. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:49 pm

So I guess this isn't going to fly either:

"Ebola, it's bleeding from every pore. It's explosive diarrhea. No, it's two deaths in one!"
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:06 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:28 pm
Sorry Skeeve.

You will never win a bad taste contest in a thread where Ebola-chan cosplay has already been posted. 8)
I was not trying to win anything....just sharing...

"Meanwhile, back in the jungle"
Child dies as Ebola outbreak spreads from the Congo to Uganda
Background: The WHO and DRC Health Ministry have had difficulty squelching the outbreak as a result of community distrust, armed rebel groups and violence against health workers.

What they're saying: "Though unsurprising, this is an unfortunate development that illustrates what we’ve long feared — that the deadly outbreak of Ebola in DRC may spread beyond borders and threaten other countries," said Jennifer Nuzzo, a senior scholar at Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security. "While Uganda is quite adept at controlling Ebola outbreaks, batting Ebola in multiple countries is a much harder endeavor than one that’s contained geographically."
Ebola no longer confined to the DRC....

And yes, even our lame-stream media is reporting on this...from the NYT:
First Ebola Cases Reported in Uganda, in Spillover From Congo Outbreak
A 5-year-old Congolese boy who traveled with his family into Uganda has died from the Ebola virus, international health officials said on Wednesday — a day after the case was confirmed as the first appearance of the highly contagious disease outside the Democratic Republic of Congo since an outbreak began there a year ago.
So, with up to a 21 day incubation period, how many people were infected along the journey?
As I said, this is not good....

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:15 pm

That's OK Skeeve, I just like to gloat. :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:44 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:15 pm
That's OK Skeeve, I just like to gloat. :)
NP Abdul...

As I said, this is not good....
Update: Ebola Jumps Borders As Epidemic Rages On
Three cases of cross-border Ebola transmission have been reported in Uganda since the outbreak began in eastern Congo last year, according to the Financial Times. One of the victims, a five-year-old boy, has died of the disease while two of his relatives also tested positive.

On Wednesday, health experts in both countries were scrambling to understand how the boy's relatives crossed the border on June 9th, and who they may have infected along the way. The boy was taken to a Ugandan hospital after vomiting blood and exhibiting other symptoms, while two relatives of the boy also tested positive for Ebola. Uganda has been heavily screening visitors from Congo for signs of fever, and has vaccinated more than 4,700 health workers against the disease according to a joint statement by WHO and Ugandan officials.
Uganda’s health ministry said the boy’s mother, who is Congolese but married to a Ugandan and living in the Kasese district of Uganda, had travelled back to Congo to nurse her sick father, who subsequently died of Ebola. On returning to Uganda, the boy had started coughing up blood and vomiting and was taken to Kagando hospital where health workers immediately suspected Ebola.

A sample of his blood tested positive for Ebola and on Wednesday two of the boy’s relatives were also confirmed to have contracted the disease. -Financial Times

Over 2,000 cases of the disease have been recorded in the Congo over the last 10 months, with over 1,400 deaths since August. It's still the second most deadly Ebola outbreak behind the 2013-2016 West Africa epidemic which killed 11,310 people. While it took seven months for the outbreak to reach 1,000 cases - it took just three more months for that figure to double.
Efforts to contain the spread have been hampered due to the extreme turbulence in the region. In April, doctors and nurses working in the heart of the Ebola outbreak threatened to go on strike amid threats of violence and actual assaults. Many locals also think Ebola is a Western scam brought to the country by foreigners to make money off the local population.
o-kay....
As the Times notes, experts had previously warned that if Ebola jumped borders into a neighboring country, it would mark a serious escalation of a crisis that has proven incredibly difficult to manage.

According to microbiologist Peter Piot who helped discover Ebola in 1976, eastern Congo is an "extraordinarily difficult environment to control an epidemic because of armed conflict and community mistrust."

Meanwhile - guess which country the United States welcomed most of its refugees from in 2018?
Skeptics, I think it may now be time (past time?) to start practicing VERY aggressive safe hygiene...

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:08 am

Information complement on Congo:
Congo declares measles epidemic after it kills more than Ebola

DAKAR (Reuters) - Congo’s government has declared an epidemic of measles, which the latest health ministry figures show has now killed at least 1,500 people, over a hundred more than have died of Ebola.

While health officials have focused on the far deadlier hemorrhagic Ebola virus concentrated in Democratic Republic of Congo’s lawless east, some 65,000 suspected cases of measles have been reported across the vast central African country.

The health ministry revealed the measles figure when it declared the epidemic on Monday.

Medical charity Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said on Tuesday that 1,500 deaths from measles had been recorded in the first five months of 2019, the highest since 2012, which was the deadliest measles epidemic of the last decade.

Ebola has so far killed 1,390 people in Congo’s North Kivu province, the latest Congo health ministry figures show.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKCN1TC2FV

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:14 am

P. – S.
Uganda confirms first Ebola case outside outbreak in Congo

KAMPALA, Uganda (AP) — A child in Uganda has tested positive for Ebola in the first cross-border case of the deadly virus since an outbreak started in neighboring Congo last year, Uganda’s health ministry said late Tuesday, in a blow to efforts by health workers who for months sought to prevent contamination across the heavily traveled frontier.

The 5-year-old Congolese boy has been isolated with family members at a hospital in a western district near the Congo border, Ugandan Health Minister Jane Aceng told reporters. Two family members were being tested for Ebola after developing symptoms, with results expected on Wednesday.

The announcement puts new pressure on the World Health Organization to declare the Ebola outbreak — the second-deadliest in history — a global health emergency. The outbreak is unfolding amid unprecedented challenges of rebel attacks and community resistance in a region that had never experienced Ebola before.
https://www.apnews.com/355c333c9aa644c3a371f5b17887ceeb