The Official Ebola Thread

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The Official Ebola Thread

Post by Doctor X »

Of course not.

One needs to remember that mistakes happen in routine. People naturally pay less attention to elements of a routine. We are wired that way.

One tries to build layers of safeguards to combat against this.

For all of this, of course, I blame Obama Hal.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

New Study Suggests End of Ebola in Liberia by June
http://www.voanews.com/content/new-stud ... 97525.html

Good news!!! At least now I can settle my vacation plans.

Here are the happy greeters at the airport queuing up to await my arrival on June 25.
n.b. there is not a lot to do in Liberia.
This space for let
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

ed wrote:New Study Suggests End of Ebola in Liberia by June

Here are the happy greeters at the airport queuing up to await my arrival on June 25.
They are rather optimistic.

On the lighter side, we get this tidbit from the tracker website ...
"Margibi County Health Officer, Dr. Adolphus Yeiah, has revealed that there has been no new case of Ebola in Margibi County for the last 28 days. He said, however,the recent quarantining of Lonfay Town in Gibi District was due to a dead body that was transported from Monrovia to the town at night on December 17, 20 14. Yeiah said the dead body was dressed in ordinary clothing like a regular passenger and strapped with seat belt in the front seat of the taxi, which evaded the checkpoints to smuggle the body into the county.He said the County Health Team (CHT) through its partners received a tip-off but before they could reach the town the next morning, the people had already carried out an overnight wake-keeping and early burial.
:!
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

We have the same problem down here. I just toss 'em into lake ed.
This space for let
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

The news media seems to have lost interest in Ebola lately, haven't they?

Looking at the map and the numbers, it seems to be slowing down:

http://www.healthmap.org/ebola/#timeline
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Anaxagoras wrote:The news media seems to have lost interest in Ebola lately, haven't they?
WE ARE TALKING ABOUT BRADY'S SOFT BALLS Anax.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Doctor X wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:The news media seems to have lost interest in Ebola lately, haven't they?
WE ARE TALKING ABOUT BRADY'S SOFT BALLS Anax.

--J.D.
Seriously though. I am hearing that "deflategate" was the lead story on national network news on more than one network. The regular news, not the sports news.

:jaded:
William Shakespeare
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

In all seriousness it was the lead "Breaking Story! :hyper: " on ClintonNewsNetwork, MSWeAREFoxNBC, and Faux News.

NPR aired their documentary on the rectal harp players of Upper Volta . . . after a repeat of a show on fixing a broken wagon wheel.

Seriously.

The "joke" I made on the other thread about "WE HAVE A PERSON OF INTEREST!!!!!!"" which blasted across the same ImagenewsImage networks had to do with the not-leaked revelation that the "Person of Interest"--as the NFL put it--was a ball boy taking 90 second to go to the bathroom. Rather than leave the balls unattended he brought them with him as he is suppose to.

Of course, while all that happened, "Snowpocalypse" hit the North East, ISIS is executing hostages, and all sorts of actual meaningful things like whether or not this current outbreak is burning out.

Oh and Sarah Pallin may run for President along with a bunch of other Complete Hopeless. Image

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Doctor X wrote:Of course, while all that happened, "Snowpocalypse" hit the North East, ISIS is executing hostages, and all sorts of actual meaningful things like whether or not this current outbreak is burning out.

Oh and Sarah Pallin may run for President along with a bunch of other Complete Hopeless. Image

--J.D.
War has ramped back up again in Ukraine. Lots of obviously Russian tanks in the country, driven by obviously Russian soldiers in obviously Russian uniforms with only their insignias removed or covered. And we are supposed to believe that Russia is not invading Ukraine. Lots of things that seem to be objectively somewhat more important.
William Shakespeare
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Well, Obama already demonstrated he will do nothing if Russia simply conquers the Ukraine, other than send a "Strong Letter of Disapproval" and maybe do a Youtube video with an unfunny comedian who failed High School English. Whether or not "something" should be done in this case was reduced to a point not worth mooting when he scurried away from his vow to respond to Syria using chemical weapons. If he lacks the balls to spank a rather defenseless Assad who faces all sorts of opposition trying to take his head, he is not going to find them and have them pass NFL regulation PSI [Get on with it!--Ed.] in the face of Putin.

So, yes, it is still about soft balls.

Back to Ebola, I have not paid much attention to the attempts to devise a vaccine.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Here's another one of those explainer videos about Ebola. I posted one about measles in another thread.

[youtube]sRv19gkZ4E0[/youtube]

And this one is about the immune system itself. It would actually be better to watch this one first as the other ones build on it:

[youtube]zQGOcOUBi6s[/youtube]
William Shakespeare
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Actually watched those from the link on the measles and they do a very good job on it, particularly the risk and fear.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Well, I think we can officially say that the worst is probably behind us now:

As Ebola Cases Dwindle, West Africa Turns To Economic Recovery
West Africa is about to receive a hefty infusion of cash. This Friday the World Bank unveiled a major aid package for the three West African countries at the center of this past year's Ebola epidemic.

Over the next 18 months, the bank plans to provide Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea $650 million in recovery assistance, mostly in the form of grants. The African Development Bank followed suit Friday with a pledge of about $300 million in similar funding.
Meanwhile, the effort to bring cases down to zero continues to grind forward. Liberia has not had a single new case since late March. Sierra Leone is in sight of that goal as well, said the World Health Organization's Bruce Aylward at a news conference Thursday. He noted that for the past two weeks there have been only nine new cases confirmed there.

"They [Sierra Leone] are down to numbers where they can drive this to zero," Aylward said.

Another hopeful sign is that a large share of new infections — nearly 70 percent — are occurring in people whom health officials had already been tracking because they were known to have been in contact with an Ebola patient. That's important because it suggests health officials are doing a good job of identifying potential transmission chains.

But Aylward also warned that the campaign to end Ebola in Guinea is proving more "bumpy" than it is in Liberia and Sierra Leone. And he's worried that the progress across West Africa has created a false impression that the battle to stop Ebola has been won. "This is not done," he said. "Success is not assured," he added.
ETA: Those treatment centers built by the military came too late to be of much use in the current outbreak, but perhaps they will still be useful for other things in the future I hope?
Recently, the U.S. effort in Liberia has come under fire. The multimillion dollar effort to build Ebola treatment units was completed too late to be of much use, The New York Times reported Sunday. The U.S. deployed almost 3,000 military troops at a cost of hundreds of millions to erect 11 treatment facilities. But by the time they were ready, the caseload in Liberia had already fallen precipitously. Only 28 Ebola patients were treated at a unit built by U.S. forces.

Nonetheless, Aylward said, the U.S. promise to build these centers provided an important morale boost for Liberians at the height of the crisis. The U.S. also gave material support and air transport, which was instrumental in getting health worker teams to hard-to-reach hot spots, he said.

Finally, Aylward noted that when the U.S. committed to building the treatment units, statistical models were suggesting infections would continue to rise exponentially in the coming weeks and months.
William Shakespeare
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

ed wrote:New Study Suggests End of Ebola in Liberia by June

WHO is saying the disease has been eradicated in Liberia. A month early too! :)
William Shakespeare
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

The Ebola virus has been detected in the eye of a US doctor who had already recovered from the illness.

The medic, who caught the bug while working in Sierra Leone, had blurred eyesight and pain two months after being declared Ebola-free.

Scientists say his eye infection presents no risk to the public.

But reporting in the New England Journal of Medicine they warn that research is needed to see if Ebola can also linger in other parts of the body.

BBC

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Interesting article about a Canadian-developed Ebola vaccine, which seems to be effective:

The story of ‘the Canadian vaccine’ that beat back Ebola
CONAKRY, Guinea — When Alseny Conté’s wife developed a high fever and became sick in 2015, the farmer from Bouramaya, Guinea, became her caregiver. The 37-year-old spent days comforting her and cleaning up after her as she vomited blood and developed severe diarrhea — two markers of the dreaded Ebola virus.

When her condition worsened, a desperate Conté put his wife on the back of his motorcycle and left their tiny village of 50 thatch-roofed homes. He took her to a traditional healer. Then, fearing she was near death, he drove down bumpy red dirt roads to the home of her mother in a nearby village.

Soon, his wife had succumbed to Ebola, the deadly hemorrhagic fever that can cause its victims to bleed from the nose, the mouth and eyes as it quickly overwhelms their system.

The disease, which swept through West Africa in 2014 and 2015, not only killed Conté’s wife but infected her brother, who lived with their mother.

But despite his close contact with his dying wife, Conté remained healthy. The farmer had received the Ebola vaccine referred to as VSV-EBOV during clinical trials near his home.

He was one of 4,000 people who were given the experimental Canadian-made vaccine as part of the trial. Like many in Guinea who feared it would make them sick, his wife refused to take the vaccine.

Conté feared the vaccine, too, but was convinced it would protect him.

Before they realized he had been vaccinated, health workers warned Conté that he would almost certainly become sick.

Ebola is spread through contact with the blood and bodily fluids of those sick with the disease. Health workers wearing protective gowns and masks began monitoring the West African farmer’s temperature twice a day. But, after 21 days, Conté didn’t have so much as a headache.

Bouboucar Diallo, an Ebola response surveillance co-ordinator with the World Health Organization in Guinea, was one of those keeping a close watch on the unfolding crisis. The internationally recognized expert in global health, a Canadian who attended the University of Winnipeg among other institutions, had a front-row view of the vaccine when it arrived in Guinea for clinical trials early in 2015.

He watched as its stunning interim results — which found the vaccine was as much as 100 per cent effective — made headlines around the world.

But it was the story of Alseny Conté – one Diallo now tells – that convinced him. If the vaccine really was highly effective, Diallo knew, Conté would not become sick despite being at high risk. The Guinean farmer’s experience spoke volumes.

“That is when I knew the vaccine worked.”
OTOH, and this is old news now, but the clinics set up in Liberia by the US seem to have arrived too late to do much good:

Empty Ebola Clinics in Liberia Are Seen as Misstep in U.S. Relief Effort
MONROVIA, Liberia — As bodies littered the streets and the sick lay dying in front of overwhelmed clinics last year, President Obama ordered the largest American intervention ever in a global health crisis, hoping to stem the deadliest Ebola epidemic in history.

But after spending hundreds of millions of dollars and deploying nearly 3,000 troops to build Ebola treatment centers, the United States ended up creating facilities that have largely sat empty: Only 28 Ebola patients have been treated at the 11 treatment units built by the United States military, American officials now say.

Nine centers have never had a single Ebola patient.

“My task was to convince the international organizations, ‘You don’t need any more E.T.U.s,’ ” said Dr. Hans Rosling, a Swedish public health expert who advised Liberia’s health ministry, referring to Ebola treatment units.

“I warned them, ‘The only thing you’ll show is an empty E.T.U.,’ ” he added. “ ‘Don’t do it.’ ”

The American response, it turns out, was outpaced by the fast-moving and unpredictable disease.

Facing criticism that his reaction to the devastating epidemic had been slow and inadequate, Mr. Obama announced his signature plan in mid-September, focusing on Liberia, America’s historical ally.

But even before the first treatment center built by the American military opened there, the number of Ebola cases in Liberia had fallen drastically, casting doubt on the American strategy of building facilities that took months to complete.

The emphasis on constructing treatment centers — so widely championed last year — ended up having much less impact than the inexpensive, nimble measures taken by residents to halt the outbreak, many officials say.
ETA: gotta include this graph:

William Shakespeare
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

He even fucked up this.

--J.D.

Witness

Post by Witness »

BBC wrote:Why Ebola keeps coming back

The news of an Ebola outbreak in the town of Bikoro in north-west DR Congo instantly brings to mind the horror of the epidemic that took 11,000 lives and infected 28,000 people in West Africa between 2014 and 2016.

It is a nightmare no-one wants to relive - or should have to.

Since 4 April in DR Congo, there have been more than 30 possible cases - involving 18 deaths - although only two incidents have so far been confirmed as Ebola.

So why does Ebola keep coming back and what work is being done to prevent a repeat of the tragedy in West Africa?
[…]
There are five identified strains of the Ebola virus, the deadliest to date being the Zaire strain.

This is the strain involved in the latest outbreak, for which there is now a vaccine ready for emergency use.

In December 2016, final results of a large trial of this vaccine - with funding from the Wellcome Trust and the UK and Norwegian governments - confirmed it provides a high level of protection.

It was developed rapidly during the 2014-16 epidemic but came too late to have a significant impact at the time.

It is not yet fully licensed, but thanks to global efforts it has been proved safe for human use and 300,000 doses are stockpiled.

Crucially, it would be free for patients and could be in the area within three to four days.
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-44070470
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Well at least there's a vaccine for it now, so hopefully this outbreak can be nipped in the bud, although it depends on whether it's safe for aid workers to enter the affected areas. This being DR Congo I don't know about that.
William Shakespeare
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I, for one, find it sad that so many People of Color[Tm.--Ed.] will risk getting the autisms when there are many other alternatives such as acupuncture, Reiki, prayer, Qi Gong, and Robitussin.

--J.D.

Witness

Post by Witness »

The Telegraph wrote:WHO fears 'explosive increase' in new Ebola cases as outbreak moves to city

The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has spread from the countryside to a major city of 1.2m inhabitants, prompting fears of a full blown health emergency.

A UK rapid response team, comprising doctors, nurses and other public health experts, is expected to be deployed to the region in the next 48 hours by Public Health England (PHE) as part of an international effort to contain the deadly haemorrhagic disease.

The outbreak was first reported on May 8 in the remote rural area of Bikoro in the north west of the country. Now three cases, one of which has been laboratory confirmed, have been reported in Mbandaka, a densely populated city of more than one million people, with poor sanitation and sparse healthcare facilities.

The latest official figures suggest at least 44 people have been infected and 23 have died since the outbreak started, although experts fear many more cases may have gone unreported.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/0 ... 2m-people/
shemp
Title: inbred shit-for-brains

Post by shemp »

Doctor X wrote:I, for one, find it sad that so many People of Color[Tm.--Ed.] will risk getting the autisms when there are many other alternatives such as acupuncture, Reiki, prayer, Qi Gong, and Robitussin.

--J.D.
Ipecac! Vomit out the virus!
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"what dicking deep shit i produce" -- pillory

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

People are shitting themselves to death
Crap so much they fail to take a breath
But even when their kids are starvin'
They thought Trump would throw them Charmin.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Homeopathic ipecac!

--J.D.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Doctor X wrote:I, for one, find it sad that so many People of Color[Tm.--Ed.] will risk getting the autisms when there are many other alternatives such as acupuncture, Reiki, prayer, Qi Gong, and Robitussin.

--J.D.
Health workers fighting Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo have run into an invisible but powerful hurdle — a belief system that deems the disease to be a curse or the result of evil spirits.

Some people are refusing medical care and turn instead to preachers and prayers to chase away the threat, they say.

The pastor of an evangelical church last Wednesday died several days after he “prayed” for an Ebola victim who went to him for help, a doctor said.
https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/africa ... ical-care/
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Prayer works after all it seems. Just not the way the petitioners thought it would.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

There's an app for that.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Seems to have dropped out of the news for the most part. Here's the most recent story I could find:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory ... d-55886179
At least 38 Ebola cases, including 14 deaths, have been confirmed in what is Congo's ninth Ebola outbreak since the virus was first identified more than four decades ago. Officials have said the pace of new confirmed cases has slowed, with none in Mbandaka since May 17. Efforts are shifting to more remote areas, where most of the cases have been confirmed, to contain the outbreak.

This outbreak is a major test of an Ebola vaccine that for the first time is being used at the start of an epidemic after showing promise late in the West Africa outbreak that killed thousands a few years ago.
Sounds like it is being effectively contained.
William Shakespeare
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

A shill for Big Pharma [Tm.--Ed.] I see, Anax.

:freedom:

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Too bad there's not a vaccine for stupidity.

The Doctor Killed In Friday's Ebola Attack Was Dedicated — But Also Afraid
The witnesses told him that the attackers said, "Ebola doesn't exist! ... [You've] invented the disease."

That fits into a larger pattern of community distrust that has plagued Ebola responders since the outbreak was declared last August. There have been years of armed conflict in the outbreak zone. Dozens of armed groups are active in the area. And many citizens feel victimized by the government. So they're suspicious of authorities and, by extension, health workers.
If they're going to do this, they really need armed guards at all times.
William Shakespeare
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I would respond, "or their attackers need to die."

But it is never the Cunts who die. It is all of the innocent bystanders.

Maybe they should kill the Cunts.

--J.D.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve »

Some not so good news...

UN health chief warns of ‘very high’ risk of Ebola spread
GENEVA (AP) — The head of the U.N. health agency says the risk that the Ebola virus will spread remains “very high.”

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus was speaking Monday at the start of the World Health Organization’s annual assembly, where issues like anti-microbial resistance, universal health care and WHO reform are among the topics up for discussion.

Ghebreyesus noted that the current Ebola outbreak, which is the second deadliest on record and has been confirmed to have taken nearly 1,100 lives, is so far contained to two provinces of eastern Congo that are wracked by violence by armed groups.

He said the outbreak was “one of the most complex health emergencies any of us have ever faced.”

Ebola Containment Efforts in DRC Threatened by Insecurity, Underfunding
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies warns the Ebola epidemic in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo could spread to urban areas and across international borders because of heightened insecurity and a serious shortage of money. DR Congo Ministry of Health reports 1,739 cases of Ebola, including 1,147 deaths, which indicates a 66 percent fatality rate.

The Ebola epidemic in conflict-ridden North Kivu and Ituri provinces started 40 weeks ago on August 1. What is particularly frightening about the latest situation report is that 20 percent of overall cases have occurred in just the last three weeks.
The International Red Cross Federation finds this sharp upsurge alarming. It is urging the international community to redouble its efforts to contain this deadly virus before it escalates further.

The IFRC’s Director of Health and Care, Emanuele Capobianco, says the Ebola response faces a double jeopardy of insecurity and critical underfunding. He says the security situation is complex and will require a range of responses. But he notes the funding situation could be fixed now.

“At the moment, the financial situation for many of the humanitarian organizations is quite dire," he said. "There is a real need to step up the response. Otherwise, activities will have to be scaled down and the impact on the future of the epidemic will be extremely serious.”

People who get infected with the Ebola virus have a very high risk of dying. Studies from the 2014 historic outbreak in West Africa show that between 60 and 80 percent of Ebola cases were linked to Ebola-infected bodies at traditional burials.

Capobianco says Red Cross efforts to provide communities with safe and dignified burials are meeting with increasing success.

“Up to now, there have been up to 5,000 safe and dignified burials conducted and they are conducted for, as I mentioned before, the people who died either in the community or the Ebola treatment centers of Ebola confirmed," he said. Also, for people who may be just suspected of Ebola. And, that is why the number of 5,000 is so high. That is a critical part of the work that we have done and which, at the moment is threatened by the lack of funding.”

Capobianco says the Red Cross has received less than half of the $30 million it needs to carry out its Ebola-control activities across affected parts of DR Congo, as well as preparedness efforts in neighboring Burundi, Rwanda, South Sudan and Uganda.

He warns Red Cross operations will be forced to close within the next two weeks without additional urgent investment.
One would think this is something that should be funded....
UPDATE (anyone remember this?): Woman spread Ebola virus one year after infection, doctors say
LONDON (AP) — A Liberian woman who probably caught Ebola in 2014 may have infected three relatives a year after she first fell sick, doctors reported in a study published Monday.
The rare possibility of Ebola spreading long after infection highlights the importance of monitoring survivors, especially with the imminent end of the most recent flare-up of the disease in Congo. That country’s latest outbreak, announced in May, has so far recorded 38 confirmed cases, including 14 deaths. It is due to be declared contained on Wednesday, which will mark 42 days, or two incubation periods, since the last case was recorded.
“The Ebola virus hides in places where it can escape the antibodies from a body’s immune system, so there is a need for vigilance,” said Dr. David Heymann, a professor of infectious diseases at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, who was not linked to the new research.

The unusual cluster of cases in Liberia was identified after the woman’s 15-year-old son was diagnosed with Ebola in November 2015. Scientists then tested the rest of his family: the woman, her husband and their three younger sons.

The 15-year-old died a few days later. The father and an 8-year-old boy were positive for Ebola, but both recovered. The couple’s 5-year-old son wasn’t infected.

Doctors found Ebola antibodies in the mother, her breast milk and her 2-month-old baby, suggesting a previous infection and the possibility she passed on protection to her infant son through breastfeeding.

Researchers reported genetic similarities between the viruses taken from the father, the two boys and the strain circulating during the 2014-15 outbreak across Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone, which ultimately killed more than 11,000 people in the biggest Ebola epidemic in history.

Scientists discovered the woman had cared for her brother in July 2014, who died after suffering Ebola-like symptoms but before being tested for the disease. The woman later experienced a similar illness, but never sought care.

Several weeks after giving birth to a baby in September 2015, the woman developed problems including fatigue and breathing difficulties. Doctors say that because pregnancy lowers the body’s immune defenses, that may have allowed for the Ebola virus to re-emerge.

“The suspicious illness she had following delivery may have been a re-activation of Ebola, but we have no confirmatory tests,” said Dr. Emily Kainne Dokubo, who led the Ebola response in Liberia for the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the study’s lead author.

Dokubo said it was possible the woman infected her husband and two older sons with Ebola when they took care of her — the disease is normally spread through contact with an infected patient’s blood or other bodily fluids. The case report was published online Monday in the journal Lancet.

“There isn’t complete evidence to reconstruct what happened, but this is the most likely scenario,” said Lorenzo Subissi, an epidemiologist at Sciensano, a Belgian research institute, who was not part of the study.

Dokubo said such cases of Ebola re-emergence are exceptional, with only two reported instances: a Scottish nurse who developed meningitis caused by Ebola hidden in her brain and an American physician who had lingering virus in his eye. In those two cases, the virus did not spread any further.

“We don’t want there to be a sense of complacency with people thinking that just because the outbreak is over, there’s nothing more to be done,” Dokubo said. “There is a risk of viral persistence and people should seek care immediately so that we can pick up any suspicious cases right away and stop a larger outbreak.”
Then Skank Of America could start in...
Skeeve

Post by Skeeve »

Apologies if this has been posted before, from National Geographic.
The world's second-biggest Ebola outbreak is still raging.
An Ebola epidemic thundering through heavily populated provinces in the northeastern Democratic Republic of the Congo has sickened more than 110 people in the past week—despite the efforts of specialist medical teams, an effective vaccine, and new treatments that are being tested in the region.
In this outbreak, the virus appears to be infecting an unusually high number of children and killing a large percentage of people before they’ve sought or received treatment in Ebola centers staffed by local and international aid workers. Now, teams trying to track the spread of the disease are finding fresh cases with no obvious connection to previous patients, leading some health specialists to worry that the end of this epidemic is nowhere in sight.
That also implies, they really do not know where it started...
“I’m not at all optimistic that the epidemic will be brought under control in the near to medium term. All the data point in the direction of an extended epidemic,” says Lawrence Gostin of Georgetown University, director of the WHO Collaborating Center on Global Health Law. “With ongoing community distrust and explosive violence, and no concrete plan to overcome these obstacles, cases will increase with potential regional or global transmission.
IOW, This may turn out to be way worse than the last time...
sparks

Post by sparks »

Well, fuck.

My money was on extinction level asteroid.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

It burns out too quickly.

Worry more about the Spanish Inquisition Flu.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

There's a vaccine now, so I don't think a pandemic is a concern. However, in a place like the Congo it could spread due to political instability. The vaccine only works if you can give it to people in the affected areas.
William Shakespeare
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

And recently international efforts to vaccinate against diseases like polio and Gram's Mom means. . . .

. . .

--J.D.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve »

Interestingly enough, we could have had a very nasty event, here in :freedom:!
The Hot Zone examines "the terrifying true story of the origins of the Ebola virus, a highly infectious, deadly virus from the central African rain forest and its first arrival on U.S. soil. In 1989, when this killer suddenly appeared in primates in a scientific lab in the suburbs of Washington, D.C., there was no known cure. A heroic U.S. Army veterinarian working with a secret military SWAT team put herself in mortal peril when she tried to head off the outbreak before it spread to the human population."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hot_Zone_(miniseries)

For sure, embelished and dramatized...however it IS based on a case of 400 infected monkeys, brought here to the US, and what might have happened had one gotten out into the general population of Reston VA. Premiers May 27, Nat-Geo.

The following video is narated by one of the doctors who actually participated in the real event in Reston VA, and yes, there was a day care facility 50 yards away (see video at ~ 9:44).

Dr. Jaax discusses the first outbreak of Ebola and the realities of response to infectious disease.
No where near as dramatic, but fact filled...
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Like completely undramatic. She was an early example of "really did not do anything significant in this but, yay, Girl Power!"

Good book though.

Marburg, which is covered in the book, was far more "dramatic," but, you know, fuck those Krauts.

--J.D.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve »

Doctor X wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:28 pm Like completely undramatic. She was an early example of "really did not do anything significant in this but, yay, Girl Power!"

Good book though.

Marburg, which is covered in the book, was far more "dramatic," but, you know, fuck those Krauts.

--J.D.
Yea, like many things from Hollywood, a strong 'you go girl' ...thing.
The Ted talk was a bit more interesting...

I dont know if folks here use this or not, I found it to be of interest.
Here is a general interest site: http://www.globalincidentmap.com/
Here is one more specific http://outbreaks.globalincidentmap.com/
Some data from that site...

Code: Select all

2019-05-19 22:34:00	Detail	Congo (Kinshasa)	Kinshasa	
DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO - 1177 Deaths Caused By The Ebola Outbreak In 9 Months...

2019-05-01 00:15:00	Detail	Congo (Kinshasa)	Kinshasa	
DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO - Ebola Outbreak In Congo Hits Record For Confirmed Cases 
In Single Day

2019-04-29 01:27:00	Detail	Congo (Kinshasa)	Kinshasa	
DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO - Ebola Death Toll In DR Congo Rises To 865

2019-04-26 00:57:00	Detail	Congo (Kinshasa)	Kinshasa	
DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO - Ebola Deaths Reach 900 Amid DR Congo Security Crisis
In other news: UN names new 'Ebola czar' for growing DRC outbreak
The United Nations (UN) today announced the creation of an emergency Ebola response coordinator, a role that officials hope will tackle the security and political challenges facing the response efforts in the Democratic Republic of the Congo's (DRC's) 10-month-long Ebola outbreak.

The UN appointed David Gressly, MBA, currently the UN's deputy special representative for peacekeeping missions in the DRC, to the post. Gressly is expected to work closely with the World Health Organization (WHO).
And the summer has not officially started yet...
Skeeve

Post by Skeeve »

More news: Battle to combat Ebola outbreak in the Congo 'is failing' as death toll passes 1,200 mark and damning figures show 100 people a week are catching the killer virus

What is it with the Brits and their long headlines....
The bid to stop combat Ebola in Democratic Republic of the Congo is failing as the outbreak shows signs of spiralling out of control, experts have warned.

Grieving locals are angry they can't have normal funerals for dead family members because victims have to be buried by well-protected medical workers.

Disrupting traditions is turning people against aid efforts and more than 100 new cases of Ebola are now being diagnosed every week, figures show.

More than 1,200 people have died in the outbreak since it began in August, with 337 of those deaths – a quarter of the total – in the first three weeks of May alone.
August?
I think maybe they mean April? If not, it makes no sense...anyway...
Experts said the World Health Organization needs to up its game in the fight against the devastating virus.

But the UN's health agency faces ever-evolving obstacles to helping people – last week's situation report revealed even healthcare workers are refusing to wear proper protection when in medical camps.
There is more at the link....

More grim news: As Ebola cases rise, so do worries of a cross-border epidemic
The second-largest Ebola outbreak ever continues to spread, and health officials now say it’s likely to reach the populous city of Goma. Once there, the risk of it spreading beyond the Democratic Republic of Congo to Rwanda, South Sudan, or Uganda increases.

Only a fraction of the health centres in Goma, the capital of North Kivu province, are prepared for a large-scale outbreak. The city, about 300 kilometres from the outbreak’s epicentre, sits at a major trade and migration crossroads and borders Rwanda, where Kigali’s international airport is only 160 kilometres away.

“I wouldn’t say (the spread to Goma) is inevitable, but it’s highly probable,” said Ray Arthur, director of the Global Disease Detection Operations Center at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

In the past three weeks, the number of areas with reported infections has increased from 21 to 22, with the newest affected area lying between Butembo – a city and trading hub near the epicentre – and Goma, said Arthur. Health zones where transmissions had previously stopped are now seeing new cases again.
Maybe time (maybe past time) to consider restricting flights and travel to and from Africa in general and DRC?