The Official Ebola Thread

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: The Official Ebola Thread

Post by sparks » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:10 pm

"Health officials fear that reports of killings, kidnappings and sexual violence ..."

Faced with a horrible death from bleeding out through every pore in my body always makes me want to do sexshual violence. Just sayin. I guess some idiots really do think they can 'fuck it to death'.

Jeebus fucking christ.

Take off and nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

shemp
Title: crazy as fuck

Post by shemp » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:04 am

Fact of life: Most people are just plain fucking stupid and suck dicks by the trainload.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:41 am

City of Goma braces itself for Ebola outbreak
He emerges surrounded by the orange fencing, delineating an isolation area. The man stops to check his phone, before a woman in a full protective outfit – including a mask, goggles and white Wellington boots – ushers him towards an examination room. The doctor greeting the man sits behind glass.
Goma’s Ebola treatment centre has been open since February, before which the space was used for cholera patients. There are only 22 beds – 12 for suspected cases, while the other 10, for confirmed cases, lie empty.

The space is just 600sq m (roughly 6400 ft^2), though a new centre, which will be more than 16 times its size, is under construction.
Thats over 100,000 square feet....
Looks like they are expeting some business.....

Okay, so what is the big deal about Goma?

Well, last January, folks were very worried about ebola getting to Goma.

The Ebola outbreak in Eastern Congo is moving toward a major city. That’s not good.
Goma is a major transportation hub, with roads and highways that lead to Rwanda. “These are crossroad cities and market towns,” Salama added. People there are constantly on the move doing business, and also because of the insecurity in North Kivu. Ebola in Goma is a nightmare scenario WHO and DRC’s health ministry are scrambling to prevent.
Then Skank Of America could start in...

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:58 pm

Shemp said: "...suck dicks by the trainload."

That is sig worthy! :):) Just not my sig.

Christ on a fucking crutch but that is funny!

"Miles and miles of trainloads of Dicks waiting to be sucked. Sucked by YOU! Only here in FuckSuckNPokeWorld. And screw the bitch with the masculine name. Evan Rachel I'm so neeeeet I have to have three names Cunt.

And she's really not all that attractive. Hell, I wouldn't fuck her with Shemps cock.

Shemp would, I'm betting. And of course, Charlie's 'ad 'er. That alone makes it unsuitable for any... future... consideration.

Season 3.

Indeed. I've watched the sneeker and it sucks donkey taint.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:52 pm

sparks wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:58 pm

That is sig worthy! :):)
And the shits dicks just keep on comin'...

As Ebola Continues to Spread In Congo, Uganda Watches Nervously
Ready or Not

The WHO said authorities had identified 112 people in Uganda who may have come into contact with Ebola, and quarantined some of them. Uganda’s science and drug agencies, looking to pre-empt a large-scale outbreak, also approved three new experimental treatments for the virus on June 18. But Uganda’s Health Minister said unofficial footpaths on the border with Congo–which people from both countries use regularly to visit family–will make containment difficult, and some Ugandan hospital workers say they lack the resources to tackle Ebola if it comes.

Broad Threat

The WHO has warned that the world is entering “a new phase” where epidemics of deadly diseases are the “new normal,” with the agency tracking more of them than ever before. Congo’s Ebola outbreak comes just two years after the worst one in history ended in West Africa in 2016. As climate change and political instability drive populations to move around more, it’s getting harder to contain diseases. As Uganda prepares for the current threat, doctors are urging all governments to follow their lead for the future.
Good time to start practicing agressivly safe hygene folks...
Stay safe!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:20 pm

sparks wrote:

All it means is Shemp was in the US Navy. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

sparks

Post by sparks » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:24 pm

Are you saying there is ... something ... WRONG ... with that?

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:38 pm

Of course not. :BigGrin3:

shemp

Post by shemp » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:49 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:20 pm
sparks wrote:

All it means is Shemp was in the US Navy. 8)
Hey, I "served my fellow man"!

I wish to add that I did not mean to disparage those who suck dicks for sexual pleasure, whatever their persuasion may be; there's nothing wrong with that, and they provide an important service to their fellow man. I meant to disparage those who haven't the intelligence of a box of fucking rocks and are bigger assholes than the one at goatse.cx.

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:36 am

Fun's fun, but back to Ebola-chan. OK fellas?

NYT says time is running out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/19/opin ... congo.html

shemp

Post by shemp » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:11 am

You're no fun anymore! :D

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:48 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:36 am
Fun's fun, but back to Ebola-chan. OK fellas?

NYT says time is running out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/19/opin ... congo.html
Ebola is ravaging the northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo, a country riven by violent conflict and neglected for decades by the international community. The World Health Organization has less than half of the $98 million it needs to confront the crisis. And the United States government has undermined its own experts with a slow-footed response and cumbersome aid restrictions.

More than 2,100 people have been infected in the current outbreak, first reported in August of last year, and nearly 1,500 of them have died. Those numbers still pale in comparison to the Ebola outbreak that began in 2014, during which more than 28,000 people were infected and more than 11,000 died. That’s in part because the current outbreak has benefited from a newly available Ebola vaccine and a quicker, better coordinated response from the World Health Organization.

But experts worry that the worst is yet to come. Hundreds of thousands of people are fleeing the region in response to ethnic violence, potentially carrying the virus far beyond Congo’s borders. The outbreak has already spread into neighboring Uganda; if it reaches South Sudan, a country dotted with refugee camps and teeming with instability, containment could become nearly impossible.

To prevent that from happening, health care workers will have to eradicate the deep mistrust within Congo’s borders. Rumors abound that the virus was brought to the country by aid workers or that it is a hoax devised by the country’s government to prevent certain districts from voting in the recent presidential election. Such suspicions have led many to avoid Ebola treatment centers, hide sick family members from foreign doctors and refuse to cooperate with other control measures.

The United States Agency for International Development, or U.S.A.I.D., says that the best way to combat this mistrust is for foreign aid workers to address other needs in the region in addition to combating Ebola. Most Congolese are more concerned with malaria, malnutrition and diarrheal diseases. Tackling these problems would go a long way toward building trust and make it easier to conquer Ebola in the long run.

However, such far-reaching programs were effectively prohibited last fall when the Trump administration restricted nonemergency aid to Congo. The administration said that the restriction was meant to penalize the country for its failure to curb human trafficking and that the Ebola response would not be affected. But it’s unclear whether any portion of U.S.A.I.D.’s more ambitious agenda will be allowed to proceed.

The administration would do well to lift that restriction. Even better: Congress could amend current human trafficking laws to prevent them from being weaponized in this way. Human trafficking is an abomination, but withholding development aid will hardly solve that crisis.

Last week, more than 10 months after Congo’s Ebola outbreak began, the Trump administration activated the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s emergency operations center. That’s a welcome move — it will enable the agency to quickly deploy many more resources to the crisis. But it would have been far more effective before hundreds of thousands of Congolese began fleeing the region.

The United States is not the only country that could do more to address the current crisis. The W.H.O. has been much more effective in this outbreak than during previous ones, but its efforts are still being stymied by a colossal funding shortfall. The organization’s decision-making body created a global contingency fund in 2015, after the last major Ebola outbreak, to avoid exactly this situation — but contributions to that fund have fallen far short of what is needed.

Were the W.H.O. to declare a “public health emergency of international concern,” it might help close the funding gap by drawing the world’s attention to the growing crisis. But the organization has repeatedly declined to do so and, according to critics, has not adequately explained the reasoning behind its decision.

If the current situation doesn’t qualify as a global health emergency, it’s hard to imagine what would.
From WaPo: Ebola has spread for nearly a year in Congo. Officials are scrambling to ‘reset’ the response.
BUTEMBO, Congo — A dozen young men revved their motor­cycle engines in front of the wooden gate of a makeshift checkpoint — too impatient to have their temperatures checked or to wash their hands with chlorinated water. Health workers manning the post had little choice but to let them pass.

Every day, thousands of people travel this road through the epicenter of Congo’s ongoing Ebola outbreak, where they are supposed to comply with field nurses toting gun-shaped thermometers testing for fevers. But that operation is far from perfect, and extinguishing the nearly year-old outbreak is months away at best. Days with a dozen new cases are normal.

“Ebola is like water. If you don’t build a perfect dam, even a small hole can lead to a flood of new cases,” said Marie Roseline Belizaire, the World Health Organization’s deputy manager for the response.
Health officials are confident the outbreak is not spiraling out of control but are worried the holes in that dam are opening up faster than they can plug them. Along the four international borders near the outbreak zone, hundreds of thousands of people move unimpeded from country to country each day using countless footpaths that save them the hassle of immigration authorities and, now, health checkpoints.

Although the WHO has repeatedly declined to declare a global health emergency, the countries surrounding Congo are scrambling to find a way to contain the virus.

Health workers fear the looming chance that Ebola could spread to the Congolese city of Goma, a provincial capital of more than 1 million where as many as 70,000 people cross the border with Rwanda each day.

“Given how connected Goma is, one case there could lead to hundreds of infections there and elsewhere in just a few days,” said Jean Felix Kinani, the WHO’s team leader for preparedness and readiness in the city. “We are already investigating every death in the city, swabbing every body. We are putting up a wall around Goma, with vaccines, mass communications, surveillance teams and chlorination and temperature checks at all entry points.”

Unlike past Ebola outbreaks in Congo, which occurred mostly in remote regions, this one more closely resembles the devastating Ebola epidemic in West Africa that killed more than 11,000 across three closely linked countries between 2014 and 2016. Belizaire said she sends urgent messages each week to colleagues in bordering countries, warning of a possible carrier of the virus headed their way.

Last week, the first confirmed cases of the virus were found to have crossed from Congo to Uganda before being quickly contained. Thousands of health workers are being vaccinated at Congo’s borders with Uganda, Rwanda and South Sudan, and soon will be in Burundi, too. Contacts of confirmed cases have traveled as far as Dubai and China before they have been tracked down.

As the outbreak continues to grow, authorities are resetting their response to take into account the challenges that “the most complex environment imaginable for an Ebola outbreak” poses, said David Gressly, the United Nations’ recently appointed emergency response coordinator.

People in the area cross borders regularly, in part, because they are so arbitrary — quite literally lines drawn in the dirt by colonial powers that resulted in families, ethnic communities and economically interlocked regions becoming different countries.

That the virus has been contained to a relatively small area within Congo’s North Kivu and Ituri provinces is a testament to the extensive amount of work that has been done. More than 65 million impromptu health checkups have been conducted at checkpoints scattered across this densely populated region since the outbreak began in August.

Still, more than 2,000 people have been infected during the outbreak, two-thirds of whom have died. Even in the best-case scenario put forth by WHO officials, the outbreak has at least three months left before it can be extinguished — the duration of entire previous outbreaks in Congo.

Some health officials outside of the WHO and Congo’s Health Ministry, which are leading the response, see the scaling-up underway as welcome, if late.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has activated its own emergency operations center for the outbreak, but the U.S. presence on the ground is extremely limited, as CDC workers are barred from deploying to the zone of active infection for extended periods, partly because of security concerns stemming from ongoing clashes there.

U.S. officials have stressed that the response needs a reset. They say the indicators show the outbreak moving in the wrong direction, pointing to the high number of new cases that were not known contacts or being monitored; the persistence of infections occurring in health-care settings, including of more than 115 health workers; and the fact that nearly half of recent recorded Ebola deaths are occurring in communities rather than at health facilities.

In an interview at Goma’s airport before he made his ninth trip to the outbreak zone, WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus acknowledged that the response needed “constant resetting.” But he said that he felt that health workers were doing almost all they could, and that the biggest obstacle to success was the region’s fraught political dynamics.

“This Ebola should have been finished many months ago. So what is failing? It is the political environment. Ebola cannot be seen in isolation from politics,” he said.

Last week, Tedros met with ruling party and opposition leaders in Congo’s capital, but neither Congo’s president nor high-profile politicians in North Kivu have yet taken a prominent role in encouraging locals to cooperate with health workers.

Festering mistrust has hampered the response, prolonging the outbreak, and even provoked lethal attacks against health workers. The violent pushback stems, in part, from a conflict that has plagued North Kivu for more than 25 years. From the mid-1990s to the mid-2000s, the region suffered through vicious ethnic violence, sparked by the genocide in neighboring Rwanda, and people in the area are wary of outsiders.

“At the start, people believed this was a new strategy to exterminate them. The virus, to them, was like a new kind of bomb,” said Edouard Valumbira, the president of a local committee to support the Ebola response outside the sprawling city of Butembo, which for many months witnessed the most rapid spreading of the virus.

“Communities in North Kivu are engaged in self-preservation against each other — that is why Ebola is seen firstly as a weapon,” he said.

Valumbira has been attacked because of his work three times, and his house was partly burned down by a mob that accused him of betraying the Nande people, Butembo’s majority group. He says that his community’s concerns are understandable and that suspicions have only risen as the outbreak stretches on.

“All these groups have been here for 10 months spending huge amounts of money and the disease is still here. That makes people confused what their purpose is. They don’t think Ebola is a weapon anymore,” he said. “They now see it as a business.”

When the outbreak began, foreigners were rare in Butembo, and $60 a month was considered a high salary in town, Valumbira said. Now the WHO will pay $10 a day for janitorial work. People are leaving other essential jobs, including as teachers and police officers, for lucrative temporary jobs with the response.

Money is pouring in from all sides. The WHO, UNICEF and the Health Ministry are renting 650 vehicles from locals at a cost of $1.8 million a month, which one driver, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he feared losing his job, said is double the old market rate.

“The local economy has been undone in less than a year. Butembo is now a place with big inequalities and rivalries,” said Valumbira. “Some people who don’t like it say, ‘If the foreigners spent all that money on medicine, this whole thing would have been finished a long time ago.’ ”

Gressly, the U.N.’s new head of response, said that he intends to initiate a “real dialogue” with communities but that the web of financial entanglements was a difficult dilemma. The WHO says it needs $54 million more to stop the outbreak, but more important than the money, Gressly said, is stopping interruptions to the response effort.

After the motorcyclists barged their way through the checkpoint, the health workers there — who work for the International Organization for Migration, a U.N. body — said part of the reason perfect monitoring of movement is so difficult is that they fear reprisals from the community. Last month, an argument at an Ebola victim’s funeral devolved into a shootout, and the checkpoint was torn down in retribution.

On a recent day, young men in the back of a truck shouted “Hapana Ebola!” — “No Ebola!” — at a reporter about 100 yards from the checkpoint.

“Rumors, conspiracies, arguments, jealousy, real grievances — it is all here,” said Eric Kilambu, who oversees the checkpoint. “That’s why I don’t wear my WHO vest anymore. I need to blend in for my safety.”

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:24 pm

CDC: Test results don’t suggest infectious disease killed Fort Worth couple in Fiji
Nearly a month after David and Michelle Paul died following an unexplained illness on vacation in Fiji, the Centers for Disease Control has announced preliminary test results don’t indicate an infectious disease is to blame.
Calanog, who lives near Las Vegas, talked to CDC representatives on Friday morning and learned preliminary results don’t indicate an infectious disease is what killed his daughter. He said he was surprised.

“In the end, I want the root cause of death,” Calanog said. “If it’s not an infectious disease, what is it?”
The CDC, he said, told him it could take a couple more weeks for there to be a full report.
The bodies of David and Michelle can’t be released back to the U.S. until a cause of death is determined. If it turns out they were killed by an infectious disease, their bodies would have to be cremated or kept inside hermetically sealed bags for the shipment, Calanog said.

Should Michelle’s body be allowed to come back to the U.S., Calanog said, he wants to set up an independent autopsy to be conducted.

“I would like to see more evidence,” he said.
Sounds as if he is not buying it....

:Popcorn:

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:38 pm

FG orders total health surveillance at ports, borders to guard against Ebola
HEALTH NEWS NIGERIA
The Director, Media and Public Relations, Federal Ministry of Health, Mrs Boade Akinola says the Federal Government has ordered a total health surveillance at ports, borders to guard against Ebola. She made this known in a statement issued on Friday in Abuja.

She said that the Permanent Secretary of the ministry, Mr Abdulaziz Mashi, gave the directive in Lagos while inspecting health facilities at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos.

The permanent secretary with some directors from the ministry, and Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) inspected the health facilities.

She added that the inspection was to ascertain the level of preparedness in case of any emergency following the rumored Ebola threats in Lagos.
Taking no chances???

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:44 pm

Would doing the same at our borders be racist?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:59 pm

U.S. turns to Mutombo to deliver Ebola message
NEW YORK -- Unable to send disease fighters to help battle one of the deadliest Ebola outbreaks in history, U.S. health officials are turning to basketball Hall of Famer Dikembe Mutombo for help.

Mutombo, regarded as one of the greatest defensive players in NBA history and a well-known philanthropist in his native Congo, recorded radio and video spots designed to persuade people to take precautions and get care that might stop the disease's spread.
The new spots were recorded in Kiswahili, French and Lingala. They talk about recognizing the early signs of Ebola, early treatment and prevention measures.
Well, here's hoping...
:fingers-crossed:

However, this is what his message is up against...
Goma, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 24 June 2019 – “You can’t take my son away because I know you will go kill him. You will inject him with Ebola. That’s what everybody here knows.”

This response from an angry father, faced with the possibility that his son would be moved from a local hospital to an Ebola Treatment Centre, reflects the reality of containing an epidemic in an area where folklore, rumour and suspicion of outsiders abound.
Link: https://reliefweb.int/report/democratic ... rful-ebola

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:26 pm

Shouldn't you get off your couch and go investigate this personally? I appreciate all your very extremely many links that nobody reads but we need your on-site reporting. I'm not saying your links to this and Venezuela are boring ... well, let's just say you should go personally to make it more interesting.

shemp

Post by shemp » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:12 am

I think ed should go. He's old and expendable.

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:30 am

That will work.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:18 pm

Dikembe?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare