What's killing us this week?

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: What's killing us this week?

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:16 pm

On the plus side, I read somewhere or other that bacon is not killing us. :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:00 pm

My cardiologist(tm) says that bacon is now OK. No, I'm not kidding. I have it in writing and will be happy to scan and post it here if asked. Can't fucking believe it myself, but I'm old and stupid.

They've done a 180 in that it's now just fucking dandy to eat lots of fat and some protein, but don't you dare touch any sugar or other carbs because THOSE WILL KILL YOU!!!

What they're trying to do for the National Health is shift metabolism from sugar burning to fat burning.

Maybe they're on to something, maybe they're just full of shit ... again.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:27 am

As if your body cares?

Everything in moderation. People looking for the "magic bullet" that allows them to be fit, healthy, immortal without having to pay for it.

Rather like . . . a Jets fan [Stop that.--Ed.]

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:14 am

Too much streaming content is causing viewer ‘paralysis’: Nielsen

Stuck between The Rock and “A Quiet Place”? You’re not alone.

Nielsen’s new Total Audience Report found that the average TV viewer takes seven minutes just to pick what to watch.

Chalk it up to too much choice. The proliferation of streaming services such as Netflix and Hulu and video-on-demand (VOD) options is leading to “paralysis among consumers,” according to Deadline.
https://nypost.com/2019/07/01/too-much- ... s-nielsen/

FWI (First World Illness)

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:15 pm

That happens to me a lot. There's so many shows or movies where I feel like, I'll probably get around to that one at some point, but I just haven't yet. The trouble is, with each passing month there's more of them in that category than there were the month before and I'm even starting to forget about some of them that I was planning to watch 6 months ago but never quite got around to it.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:03 pm

There is that many tentacle hentai?

I am asking for a friend.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:15 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:15 pm
That happens to me a lot. There's so many shows or movies where I feel like, I'll probably get around to that one at some point, but I just haven't yet. The trouble is, with each passing month there's more of them in that category than there were the month before and I'm even starting to forget about some of them that I was planning to watch 6 months ago but never quite got around to it.
That's why we invented machines to do the watching for us. :mrgreen:

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:29 am

Savage tick-clone armies are sucking cows to death; experts fear for humans

Spreading invasive tick spawns without mating and can transmit deadly disease.

Ravenous swarms of cloned ticks have killed a fifth cow in North Carolina by exsanguination—that is, by draining it of blood—the state’s Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services warned this week.

Experts fear that the bloodthirsty throngs, which were first noticed in the United States in 2017, will continue their rampage, siphoning life out of animals and eventually transmitting diseases, potentially deadly ones, to humans.

Just last month, infectious disease researchers in New York reported the first case of the tick species biting a human in the US. The finding was “unsurprising” given the tick’s ferocious nature, according to Dr. Bobbi S. Pritt, director of the Clinical Parasitology Laboratory in Mayo Clinic. And it’s “extremely worrisome for several reasons,” she wrote in a commentary for the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases.

The tick—the Asian longhorned tick, or Haemaphysalis longicornis—was first found terrorizing a sheep in New Jersey in 2017 and has established local populations in at least 10 states since it sneaked in. Its invasive sweep is due in large part to the fact that a single well-fed female can spawn up to 2,000 tick clones parthenogenetically—that is, without mating—in a matter of weeks. And unlike other ticks that tend to feast on a victim for no more than seven days, mobs of H. longicorni can latch on for up to 19 days.
https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/07 ... um=ios_app for all the gory details.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:45 am

One of the few good reasons to bring back DDT. Take off and nuke 'em from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. Miserable little bastards.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

shemp
Title: crazy as fuck

Post by shemp » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:49 pm

sparks wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:45 am
One of the few good reasons to bring back DDT. Take off and nuke 'em from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. Miserable little bastards.
Hey, some of the states on that list are blue states! We'll nuke the red states, and dust the blue states with DDT.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:15 am

America’s packaged food supply is ultra-processed

Americans are over-exposed to products that are high in calories, saturated fat, sugar and salt [Incredible! :mrgreen: ]

Americans are over-exposed to products that are high in calories, saturated fat, sugar and salt, according to a new Northwestern Medicine study that reports the United States packaged food supply and beverage supply in 2018 was ultra-processed and generally unhealthy.

Since about 80% of Americans’ total calorie consumption comes from store-bought foods and beverages (packaged and unpackaged), the food and beverage supply plays a central role in the development of chronic disease including obesity and cardiovascular disease.
[…]
As classified by the NOVA Food Classification System developed at the University of Sao Paulo in Brazil, “ultra-processed food and beverages” is the fourth and final group of foods that “are industrial formulations made entirely or mostly from substances extracted from foods (oils, fats, sugar, starch and proteins).” They are derived from hydrogenated fats and modified starch, and are synthesized in laboratories.

The scientists analyzed 230,156 products and, using the NOVA classification system, found 71% of products such as bread, salad dressings, snack foods, sweets, sugary drinks and more were ultra-processed. Among the top 25 manufacturers by sales volume, 86% of products were classified as ultra-processed.

“Bread and bakery products” was the only category consistently among the highest third across all four nutrient categories in terms of nutrient levels (calories, saturated fat, total sugars and sodium).
https://news.northwestern.edu/stories/2 ... processed/

Interesting formulation: apparently consumers are passive slobs who are "exposed to" industrial food as if it were some kind of pollution, not choices they make.
Mother State should do something about it. :roll:

shemp
Title: crazy as fuck

Post by shemp » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:30 am

I've had it! From now on I eat nothing but kale!
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:45 am

shemp wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:30 am
I've had it! From now on I eat nothing but kale!
Anax's Mom will have disappoint.

--J.D.

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:51 am

Philippines declares national epidemic after 622 dengue deaths

Health department says there were roughly 146,000 cases of mosquito-borne virus from January to July.

The country's health department announced late on Tuesday that Francisco Duque III, the health secretary, made the declaration to improve the response to the outbreak by allowing local governments to draw on a special Quick Response Fund.

It said the Philippines recorded 146,062 cases of dengue from January through July 20 this year, 98 percent more than the same period in 2018. That is roughly 5,036 cases every week.

Among the worst-hit areas are central Philippines as well as some regions in the northern island of Luzon and the southern island of Mindanao.

Duque said a campaign is being launched focusing on the destruction of mosquito breeding sites.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/08/ ... 59368.html

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:48 am

Wasn't this the same guy that threatened to declare war on Canada for dumping trash on them?

Hmmm.....🤔
Such potential!

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:18 am

Police Are One of the Leading Causes of Death for Young Men in the US

Nearly three Americans are killed by police every day. This means that, of all the homicide victims in the United States, police kill an estimated six percent of those individuals. But the actual numbers are likely higher: Researchers say that government data is woefully inadequate, so the best available datasets have been created by journalist-driven public programs. New research on one of these resources shows that police violence is even deadlier for one group of Americans than previously suspected.

In a study released Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, a team of sociologists and criminal justice researchers used data compiled by the National Vital Statistic System’s mortality files, as well as Fatal Encounters (FE), a journalist-led database, to create one of the few comprehensive baseline estimates available for how often Americans are killed by police.

They determined that police violence is one of the leading causes of death of young men in the United States. Overall, it’s estimated that the mortality rate is about 1.8 per 100,000 for men between the ages of 25 and 29. This ranks police use-of-force as the sixth leading cause of death for young men, placing it behind other public health issues like suicide and “accidents” — a category that includes drug overdoses and car accident deaths.

[…]
  • Black men face a 1 in 1,000 chance of being killed by police over their lifetime. That compares to about 1 in 2,000 for men in general and about 1 in 33,000 for women.
  • Black women are 1.4 times more likely to be killed by police than white women.
  • American Indian men are 1.5 times more likely to be killed by police than white men, while American Indian women are about 1.5 times more likely to be killed by police than white women.
  • Latino men are 1.4 times more likely to be killed by police than white men. Latina women are 1.2 times less likely to be killed than white women.
https://www.inverse.com/article/58332-p ... ides-study

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:45 am

Chronic Wasting Disease in Cervids: Implications for Prion Transmission to Humans and Other Animal Species

ABSTRACT

Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a prion-related transmissible spongiform encephalopathy of cervids, including deer, elk, reindeer, sika deer, and moose. CWD has been confirmed in at least 26 U.S. states, three Canadian provinces, South Korea, Finland, Norway, and Sweden, with a notable increase in the past 5 years. The continued geographic spread of this disease increases the frequency of exposure to CWD prions among cervids, humans, and other animal species. Since CWD is now an established wildlife disease in North America, proactive steps, where possible, should be taken to limit transmission of CWD among animals and reduce the potential for human exposure.

https://mbio.asm.org/content/10/4/e01091-19

Beware of the mad deer. :|

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:15 am

That's the so-called "mad cow disease", isn't it?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:59 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:15 am
Something like that, yes. Now you can also get it with venison.

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:03 am

Witness wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:59 am
Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:15 am
Something like that, yes. Now you can also get it with venison.

100% true, all of the time.
Such potential!