What's killing us this week?

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: What's killing us this week?

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:16 pm

On the plus side, I read somewhere or other that bacon is not killing us. :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:00 pm

My cardiologist(tm) says that bacon is now OK. No, I'm not kidding. I have it in writing and will be happy to scan and post it here if asked. Can't fucking believe it myself, but I'm old and stupid.

They've done a 180 in that it's now just fucking dandy to eat lots of fat and some protein, but don't you dare touch any sugar or other carbs because THOSE WILL KILL YOU!!!

What they're trying to do for the National Health is shift metabolism from sugar burning to fat burning.

Maybe they're on to something, maybe they're just full of shit ... again.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:27 am

As if your body cares?

Everything in moderation. People looking for the "magic bullet" that allows them to be fit, healthy, immortal without having to pay for it.

Rather like . . . a Jets fan [Stop that.--Ed.]

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:14 am

Too much streaming content is causing viewer ‘paralysis’: Nielsen

Stuck between The Rock and “A Quiet Place”? You’re not alone.

Nielsen’s new Total Audience Report found that the average TV viewer takes seven minutes just to pick what to watch.

Chalk it up to too much choice. The proliferation of streaming services such as Netflix and Hulu and video-on-demand (VOD) options is leading to “paralysis among consumers,” according to Deadline.
https://nypost.com/2019/07/01/too-much- ... s-nielsen/

FWI (First World Illness)

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:15 pm

That happens to me a lot. There's so many shows or movies where I feel like, I'll probably get around to that one at some point, but I just haven't yet. The trouble is, with each passing month there's more of them in that category than there were the month before and I'm even starting to forget about some of them that I was planning to watch 6 months ago but never quite got around to it.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:03 pm

There is that many tentacle hentai?

I am asking for a friend.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:15 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:15 pm
That happens to me a lot. There's so many shows or movies where I feel like, I'll probably get around to that one at some point, but I just haven't yet. The trouble is, with each passing month there's more of them in that category than there were the month before and I'm even starting to forget about some of them that I was planning to watch 6 months ago but never quite got around to it.
That's why we invented machines to do the watching for us. :mrgreen:

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:29 am

Savage tick-clone armies are sucking cows to death; experts fear for humans

Spreading invasive tick spawns without mating and can transmit deadly disease.

Ravenous swarms of cloned ticks have killed a fifth cow in North Carolina by exsanguination—that is, by draining it of blood—the state’s Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services warned this week.

Experts fear that the bloodthirsty throngs, which were first noticed in the United States in 2017, will continue their rampage, siphoning life out of animals and eventually transmitting diseases, potentially deadly ones, to humans.

Just last month, infectious disease researchers in New York reported the first case of the tick species biting a human in the US. The finding was “unsurprising” given the tick’s ferocious nature, according to Dr. Bobbi S. Pritt, director of the Clinical Parasitology Laboratory in Mayo Clinic. And it’s “extremely worrisome for several reasons,” she wrote in a commentary for the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases.

The tick—the Asian longhorned tick, or Haemaphysalis longicornis—was first found terrorizing a sheep in New Jersey in 2017 and has established local populations in at least 10 states since it sneaked in. Its invasive sweep is due in large part to the fact that a single well-fed female can spawn up to 2,000 tick clones parthenogenetically—that is, without mating—in a matter of weeks. And unlike other ticks that tend to feast on a victim for no more than seven days, mobs of H. longicorni can latch on for up to 19 days.
https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/07 ... um=ios_app for all the gory details.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:45 am

One of the few good reasons to bring back DDT. Take off and nuke 'em from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. Miserable little bastards.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

shemp
Title: crazy as fuck

Post by shemp » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:49 pm

sparks wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:45 am
One of the few good reasons to bring back DDT. Take off and nuke 'em from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. Miserable little bastards.
Hey, some of the states on that list are blue states! We'll nuke the red states, and dust the blue states with DDT.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want