What's killing us this week?

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
shemp
Title: inbred shit-for-brains

Re: What's killing us this week?

Post by shemp »

Fucking magnets, how do they work?
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"what dicking deep shit i produce" -- pillory

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

People are shitting themselves to death
Crap so much they fail to take a breath
But even when their kids are starvin'
They thought Trump would throw them Charmin.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Only a clown would ask that.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce »

My body is well buffered.

That's right.

I'm buff. 8)
Such potential!
Witness

Post by Witness »

The FDA Announces Two More Antacid Recalls Due to Cancer Risk

Two more companies recalled their ranitidine drugs, generic forms of Zantac, over concerns they may contain a carcinogenic substance.

That burning feeling in your chest after you eat a heavy meal could be heartburn. Or it could be worry over the drugs you’ve taken to treat that heartburn. Among the top medical stories of 2019 was the discovery of contaminants in common medicines, and ranitidine—best known as Zantac—took up a large share of those headlines. A cancer-causing substance known as NDMA has been repeatedly found in one of the most popular antacid drugs in the United States.

The scary news continues in 2020. On Wednesday, the Food and Drug Administration announced voluntary recalls of prescription forms of ranitidine by two generic drug companies, Appco Pharma and Northwind Pharmaceuticals, bringing the total number of ranitidine recalls to 14 in the past five months. The agency also reported that Mylan Pharmaceuticals recalled three lots of Nizatidine (Axid), a similar drug, again because of NDMA.

This week’s recalls are a new cause for alarm for the 15 million Americans who take ranitidine at prescription levels, and the millions more who regularly take lower-dose, over-the-counter versions. More than 60 million Americans experience heartburn at least once a month. Zantac was once the best-selling drug in the world.
https://www.wired.com/story/the-fda-ann ... popular4-1
Witness

Post by Witness »

America's most widely consumed oil causes genetic changes in the brain [in mice]

New UC Riverside research shows soybean oil not only leads to obesity and diabetes, but could also affect neurological conditions like autism, Alzheimer's disease, anxiety, and depression.

Used for fast food frying, added to packaged foods, and fed to livestock, soybean oil is by far the most widely produced and consumed edible oil in the U.S., according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. In all likelihood, it is not healthy for humans.

It certainly is not good for mice. The new study, published this month in the journal Endocrinology, compared mice fed three different diets high in fat: soybean oil, soybean oil modified to be low in linoleic acid, and coconut oil.

The same UCR research team found in 2015 that soybean oil induces obesity, diabetes, insulin resistance, and fatty liver in mice. Then in a 2017 study, the same group learned that if soybean oil is engineered to be low in linoleic acid, it induces less obesity and insulin resistance.

However, in the study released this month, researchers did not find any difference between the modified and unmodified soybean oil's effects on the brain. Specifically, the scientists found pronounced effects of the oil on the hypothalamus, where a number of critical processes take place.
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases ... 011620.php

I'm good, only ever olive oil. :twisted:
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

What? No mention of Avocado oil? :)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

I don't think I've ever bought a bottle of soybean oil. I suspect processed food makers use it though.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Generic "vegetable oil" tends either to be or mostly to contain soybean oil.
It depends somewhat on commodity market fluctuations.

It used to be cottonseed oil, but then folks realized that's not food.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Witness wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:44 am

I'm good, only ever olive oil. :twisted:
I would have thought that olive oil would be more popular than that. :notsure:

I realize it's more expensive than some others though. When we buy oil at the supermarket over here, it's usually olive oil, although my wife sometimes uses other oils.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Oh, there seems to be a new kind of coronavirus:

China coronavirus: Fear grips Wuhan as lockdown begins
William Shakespeare
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Just looked it up.

Population of Wuhan is 11 million.

Imaging trying to quarantine the entire metro NY area. :o

Witness

Post by Witness »

Food market at centre of deadly coronavirus outbreak admits selling live koalas, snakes, rats and wolves

The Chinese food market at the centre of the deadly Sars-like virus outbreak has claimed they sold live koalas, snakes, rats and wolf pups to locals to eat.

The Huanan Seafood market in Wuhan in China is under investigation with officials believing the coronavirus originated from a wild animal that was sold at the venue.

So far the highly-contagious virus has killed 17 people and infected hundreds around Asia.

According to the South China Morning Post, the market's advertising board had live foxes, crocodiles, wolf puppies, salamanders, snakes, rats, peacocks, porcupines and koalas.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/a ... d=12302979
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Koalas?? 😱

William Shakespeare
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Anything that walks, swims, flies, slithers, or quivers.

Witness

Post by Witness »

China spent the crucial first days of the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak arresting people who posted about it online and threatening journalists
  • In the early days of the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak, Chinese officials arrested citizens they accused of spreading rumors about the illness online.
  • Journalists have also reported being detained and threatened by Chinese authorities while covering the outbreak.
  • Experts are now faulting the Chinese government for its harsh crackdown on the flow of information about the virus.
https://www.businessinsider.com/china-i ... ?r=US&IR=T

And in other news:
3 suspected cases of coronavirus being tested in Washtenaw, Macomb counties
France confirms first three cases of coronavirus in Europe
Two possible coronavirus cases in northern Finland
China coronavirus: Incident team to deal with Scottish threat

&c. :|
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I wonder if it's worse that a typical flu virus. Just how concerned should we really be about it?
The new coronavirus appears to cause symptoms like fever, cough, difficulty breathing, and other respiratory symptoms. It causes severe illness in around a quarter of cases, and can be deadly. Public health officials are working to understand how dangerous this virus is, how fast it’s spreading, and how to contain it. As that work continues, the virus is causing anxiety around the world.
I guess that means they're still trying to determine that. I know there have been deaths from this, but lots of people die every year from the flu too.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/24/2108 ... cdc-spread
William Shakespeare
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

UN Pleads for Help Amid 'Devastating' Locust Invasion
Somalia, Ethiopia, Kenya all overtaken; UN says locust numbers could grow 500 times by June

(Newser) – Last month, the United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization reported on the plague of locusts that had overtaken Somalia and Ethiopia, and now a new East African nation is being beleaguered by the bugs. The FAO says Kenya is also dealing with an "unprecedented" and "devastating" number of desert locusts, which are devouring crops and imperiling farmers' livelihoods, per the BBC. And they're hungry critters: An FAO fact sheet notes that each adult locust can scarf down its own weight in food each day, adding that a Paris-sized swarm would be able to eat the same amount in one day as half of the entire population of France. There hasn't been an infestation like this in Somalia and Ethiopia in 25 years, while Kenya hasn't been so beset by the bugs in 70 years, and the FAO is afraid the numbers could grow to 500 times what they are now by summer.
https://www.newser.com/story/286038/un- ... asion.html
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Bugs. Always the Bugs.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Anaxagoras wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:20 am I wonder if it's worse that a typical flu virus. Just how concerned should we really be about it?
The new coronavirus appears to cause symptoms like fever, cough, difficulty breathing, and other respiratory symptoms. It causes severe illness in around a quarter of cases, and can be deadly. Public health officials are working to understand how dangerous this virus is, how fast it’s spreading, and how to contain it. As that work continues, the virus is causing anxiety around the world.
I guess that means they're still trying to determine that. I know there have been deaths from this, but lots of people die every year from the flu too.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/24/2108 ... cdc-spread

A new coronavirus that has spread to almost 2,000 people is infectious in its incubation period - before symptoms show - making it harder to contain, Chinese officials say.

Some 56 people have died from the virus. Health minister Ma Xiaowei told reporters the ability of the virus to spread appeared to be strengthening.

Several Chinese cities have imposed significant travel restrictions.

Wuhan in Hubei, the source of the outbreak, is in effective lockdown.