Coffee

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Bananas?-Yes

Re: Coffee

Post by Bananas?-Yes » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:39 am

Thank you, Witness. On both points you made in my direction.

And, yes. That coffee business might be wise to get back to.

Frankly, that is one business I sure don't get at all. I think what happened to a whole mess of folks during the draft days was make the worst coffee taste so outstanding that the expensive stuff then tasted like horrible stuff. Maybe the coffee companies had that draft system shut down. That was President Carter that shut down the draft, wasn't it? I don't remember Georgia having coffee trees on any of the hills out in western Georgia. Don't remember too many hills elsewhere in Georgia.

Coffee trees are on hills, no? Seems some mountain in Africa is famous for coffee trees, yes?

I remember the first time I was given ice coffee. Now that was a surprise, for sure. And it wasn't in no mess hall.
+ + + Bananas are group oriented. + + +

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:56 pm

I couldn't parse much of that but it was Nixon that ended the draft or better said, did not push Congress to renew it. On June 30, 1973, Dwight Elliott Stone became the last person drafted, and boy was he pissed. There is no word on his coffee preference.

Bananas?-Yes

Post by Bananas?-Yes » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:04 pm

Appreciate the correction. Some reason I thought it was stopped later, but things were sort of all messed up back then. It was a bit of a shame that President Ford didn't get a break and get elected, but that pardon did him in. Yep, I've had it in my brain for a bit that it was President Carter that did that. Yep, appreciate the correction.
+ + + Bananas are group oriented. + + +

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:14 am

Bananas?-Yes wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:39 am
Coffee trees are on hills, no? Seems some mountain in Africa is famous for coffee trees, yes?
You probably mean Ethiopian Harar Moka:
Growing Altitude: 1510 – 2120 meters above sea level
Arabica Variety: Wild Ethiopian Varieties
Harvest Period: October through February
Milling Process: Natural, Sun-dried
Aroma: Berry, Earthy, Chocolate
Flavor: Typical moka flavor, marked blueberry and blackberry
Body: Heavy body
https://espressocoffeeguide.com/gourmet ... ar-coffee/

For some reason the Froggies call it "Harar blue". Tried it out and wasn't overwhelmed. (My espresso machine seems to work best with cheap supermarket brands. From time to time I cycle through more expensive stuff, but till now have always been disappointed.)

Meteoric poet Rimbaud went to Harar as an accountant & merchant (coffee & arms) after dropping his art: