Snake Oil

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Anaxagoras

Snake Oil

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:06 pm

'Church' to offer 'miracle cure' despite FDA warnings against drinking bleach
A group calling itself Genesis II Church of Health and Healing plans to convene at a hotel resort in Washington state on Saturday to promote a “miracle cure” that claims to cure 95% of all diseases in the world by making adults and children, including infants, drink industrial bleach.

The group is inviting members of the public through Facebook to attend what they call their “effective alternative healing” at the Icicle Village Resort in Leavenworth on Saturday morning. The organizer of the event, Tom Merry, has publicized the event on his personal Facebook page by telling people that learning how to consume the bleach “could save your life, or the life of a loved one sent home to die”.

The “church” is asking attendants of the meeting to “donate” $450 each, or $800 per couple, in exchange for receiving membership to the organization as well as packages of the bleach, which they call “sacraments”. The chemical is referred to as MMS, or “miracle mineral solution or supplement”, and participants are promised they will acquire “the knowledge to help heal many people of this world’s terrible diseases”.
Looks like they are trying to use religious freedom to do an end run around FDA regulations.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Re: Snake Oil

Post by Witness » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:55 pm

Darwin in action. :roll:

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:01 am

Their problem is calling it a miracle cure. If they had called it a sacrament or some such they'd be OK. After all, drinking bleach is not per se illegal. And Roman Catholics claim that sacraments sometimes heal (subject to God's will).

It was over similar legal issues that Dianetics (which claimed to be a school of psychiatry) became Scientology (a church).

The legal problems really come down to not having the right connections.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:43 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:35 am

I saw that linked on the BBC, but I knew I could not help making an ironic joke.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:24 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed May 01, 2019 4:12 am

But they are "holy," Pyrrho!

The winning comments are:
Konmari my takeout containers
‏ @AndreaWrote
5h5 hours ago
Replying to @DrJenGunter @US_FDA

Oi. Geologist here. Sea sponges are easily recognized in the fossil record because of their distinctive structure. Their support structure is composed of needlelike silica components called spicules. They’re essentially glass needles.
And you want to put that... where???
and:
Julie Niesen
‏Verified account @winemedineme
5h5 hours ago

Ha. Maybe I’m a prude but I’m going to stick with stuff, I don’t know, that’s either traditional or made of body-grade silicone.
but:
Schrödinger's Canadian. Sorry, not sorry.
‏ @CannibalHoliday
4h4 hours ago
Replying to @DrJenGunter

I love the bit where they said "I did a year of research before I created the moon ritual kit".
Give it a year and we'll see people selling live squirrels as kegel enhancers.
--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Wed May 01, 2019 10:44 am

Kegel enhancers!!! :hyper:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu May 02, 2019 1:03 pm

I got your kegel enhancer right here.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu May 02, 2019 1:17 pm

There is a Your Mom[Tm.--Ed.] joke in there . . . IN THERE!!!

Must be a big joke!

No . . . wait . . . uh . . . Your Mom needs a raccoon!

Let me get back to you.

--J.D.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Tue May 21, 2019 5:52 pm

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/internet/m ... s-n1007871
In some of these groups, members describe using dubious, dangerous methods to try to “heal” their children’s autism — a condition with no medically known cause or cure.

The parents in many of these groups, which have ranged from tens to tens of thousands of members, believe that autism is caused by a hodgepodge of phenomena, including viruses, bacteria, fungal infections, parasites, heavy metal poisoning from vaccines, general inflammation, allergies, gluten and even the moon.

The so-called treatments are equally confused. Some parents credit turpentine or their children’s own urine as the secret miracle drug for reversing autism. One of the most sought-after chemicals is chlorine dioxide — a compound that the Food and Drug Administration warns amounts to industrial bleach, and doctors say can cause permanent harm. Parents still give it to their children orally, through enemas, and in baths. Proponents of chlorine dioxide profit off these parents’ fears and hopes by selling books about the supposed “cure,” marketing the chemicals and posting how-to videos.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Tue May 21, 2019 7:56 pm

https://medium.com/the-method/moms-acro ... c772b68ea3

According to their web page this product can give you mental clarity and boost your immune system while balancing your gut health. It’s active ingredient is something they call terrahydrite. The invented term is just a fancy way of saying lignite….. or more commonly brown coal.

Exposure to lignite has been linked to both cancer and kidney failure.

Unfortunately because Restore is classified as a supplement, it’s health claims remain untested by the FDA. Such unregulated supplements are sending countless thousands of people to the hospital each year. The FDA is forbidden by law from testing these products for safety prior to them entering the market.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue May 21, 2019 9:59 pm

Fuck.

And we can thank congress for this bullshit. They can literally sell poison as a "health supplement".
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed May 22, 2019 5:27 am

Not only that you can thank the bipartisan corrupt efforts of a Republican Hatch and Democrat Harkin.

--J.D.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Wed May 22, 2019 9:01 pm

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Wed May 22, 2019 9:32 pm

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Thu May 23, 2019 1:46 am

Lost in translation?

Holy fuck.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Thu May 23, 2019 9:21 pm

https://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/493223
This study was aimed to investigate cytotoxic effect of external qi of Yan Xin Qigong (YXQ-EQ) toward human lung adenocarcinoma A549 cells as well as its effect on signaling pathways promoting migration, invasion and epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition (EMT) in A549 cells.
:cowbell:

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Mon May 27, 2019 5:13 pm

He's wearing scrubs so you know it must be true.