Woman wakes up after 27 years in coma?

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Anaxagoras

Woman wakes up after 27 years in coma?

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:04 pm

Could this be true?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-48020481

Are they just repeating a story someone told them? Can we see this woman on video?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Woman wakes up after 27 years in coma?

Post by Doctor X » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:24 pm

As always, the article demonstrates that she was not in a coma.

I thought about commenting on this when it first came out but figured, why bother.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:09 pm

I think you should bother commenting. The article is exceptionally poor reporting.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:19 pm

Yeah, for the BBC, seems extremely shoddy. They don't seem to have asked an actual medical doctor for comment.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:11 am

Well, these stories attract attention. Long ago, I looked up these cases, and some of them are really tragic. First, you do not remain in a "coma" for years unless I pharmacologically keep you in one. You "progress" to something.

Second, one of the originators of the terms "persistent" and "permanent vegetative state" discovered over time a progression into the really tragic I described: "minimally conscious." A lot, if not all, of these are that progression from a persistent vegetative state to minimally conscious.

Third, sometimes a person progresses into a vegetative then into a conscious state that appears like minimally conscious. You have to correct for other issues. As I joke, recall when you have the flu. So give someone with a cerebral injury a rip-roaring chest infection or other complications.

Anyways, as the person recovers to consciousness, they may not "look" like much to even physicians who do not know how to look for it. Recovery usually moves in two "humps": a six month "hump" and a year. So by the end of the year you have someone able to participate in rehab. For much of that year, however, he "looked" like crap and everyone called it a "coma" even though it was not a coma.

I mean, as I have ranted, people still claim Terri Schiavo was "brain dead" or "in a coma." She was neither. These stories certainly fueled the A MIRACLE CAN HAPPEN! hopes.

See also a certain Charley Gard.

Too soon?

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:39 am

Thanks for explaining the medical situation better.

Just lazy reporting and a sensational, but false headline. I think the biggest journalistic malpractice was in not seeking comment or input from a medical expert.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:43 am

When do they seek expert opinions on anything?

I use to laugh back in Terry Schiavo the "medical experts" having zero experience with cerebral injury. I do recall, of all people, Shepherd Smith got an actual expert who painstakingly explained, with Smith's support, that Schiavo was "not brain dead," "not in a coma," "not conscious," and was, Heavens to Betsy, in a "permanent vegetative state."

I like to joke that later that night St. Sean proclaimed she was reciting Homer. Certainly, no one else referred to that interview on Faux or anywhere to my recollection and knowledge.

--J.D.