Could you save a person if

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Could you save a person if

Post by ed » Thu May 23, 2019 10:11 pm

The carotid artery (in the neck) was damaged and blood was squirting all over the place. My instinct would be to grab it and hold on till help got there.

Would I simply be getting messy for no good reason?

Don't know why I thought of this. Don't know why I think someone here has experience with this sort of thing.

Altogether a troubling thread.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Could you save a person if

Post by sparks » Thu May 23, 2019 10:55 pm

Never had to do it myself thankfully, but I think applying pressure to stop the bleeding is the correct thing to do.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri May 24, 2019 1:14 am

Sounds unlikely to me, but I can't think of anything better to try. If you can somehow keep enough of the blood flowing through the artery instead of out of the artery, that would help, presumably.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri May 24, 2019 2:14 am

Is it urgent? :shock:
Spoiler:

shemp
Title: stooge

Post by shemp » Fri May 24, 2019 2:26 am

ed cut himself shaving again.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Fri May 24, 2019 2:35 pm

You have three minutes optimally.

Using a No. 10 scalpel (or lacking that your very sharp pocket knife) make a two-inch parallel incision closely adjacent to and equidistant from the sever. This exposes the artery and gives you room to work.

Using a hemostatic clamp (or lacking that a small needle nose vice-grips [or lacking that an assistant using needle nose pliers] to restrict the blood flow into the artery from below. This will damage the artery greatly but not fatally. Can't be helped. It's hard to work with blood squirting in your face.

Using any curved surgical needle, preferably smaller than a No.10 (or lacking that any small or medium sewing needle but you'll have to heat it with your lighter [you do smoke, right] and then bend it to a proper curve using yet another two pair of needle nose pliers]) and a silk suture (or lacking that simple thread) repair the sever starting at a stitch in the middle, then left, then right, twice left, twice right.

Remove the clamps (or pliers) to restore blood flow. If it leaks you should be able to apply more sutures without clamping.

Run from the room. You really don't want credit for this.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Fri May 24, 2019 3:40 pm

Christ! Sewing someone up sounds right. If one has the guts for it. Don't think I could manage that. Happy to hold pressure on it until the paramedics arrive.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri May 24, 2019 4:03 pm

Pressure is good on say for example a femoral artery, but pressure on the neck might have effects other than stopping the bleeding.

At any rate, I think that's what ed is getting at.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

ed

Post by ed » Fri May 24, 2019 4:20 pm

This relates to the question of how long a head might be conscious ... a topic for another day.

Rob .. good answer. As I recall the Circle of Willis at the base of the brain has an anterior and posterior communicating artery that is our "redundancy" in the case of something like what I outlined. No idea how much slack it would take up though I saw a surgery where ... damn gotta run ... more later. Also look up the research done on frenchies trying to communicate with heads after guillotining.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Fri May 24, 2019 11:50 pm

How about the guy two doors down who, in sneakers and shorts, was one-handedly, without gloves, using a chainsaw that had a dull chain and was running dry on bar oil? He keeps that up and hilarity is going to spray around his general vicinity in about a 6-foot wide arc.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

ed

Post by ed » Sat May 25, 2019 12:25 am

Sometimes you apply direct pressure ... sometimes you don't

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sat May 25, 2019 12:37 am

Arggh now he's out there burning whatever wood it was and his trash.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Brick Top
Title: Nemisis

Post by Brick Top » Sat May 25, 2019 2:17 am

Pyrrho wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 12:37 am
Arggh now he's out there burning whatever wood it was and his trash.
You're always going to have a problem disposing a body in one piece.
You're always gonna have problems lifting a body in one piece. Apparently the best thing to do is cut up a corpse into six pieces and pile it all together. And when you got your six pieces, you gotta get rid of them, because it's no good leaving it in the deep freeze for your mum to discover, now is it? Then I hear the best thing to do is feed them to pigs. You got to starve the pigs for a few days, then the sight of a chopped-up body will look like curry to a pisshead. You gotta shave the heads of your victims, and pull the teeth out for the sake of the piggies' digestion. You could do this afterwards, of course, but you don't want to go sievin' through pig shit, now do you? They will go through bone like butter. You need at least sixteen pigs to finish the job in one sitting, so be wary of any man who keeps a pig farm. They will go through a body that weighs 200 pounds in about eight minutes. That means that a single pig can consume two pounds of uncooked flesh every minute. Hence the expression, "as greedy as a pig."

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce » Sun May 26, 2019 2:09 am

Rob Lister wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:35 pm
You have three minutes optimally.

Using a No. 10 scalpel (or lacking that your very sharp pocket knife) make a two-inch parallel incision closely adjacent to and equidistant from the sever. This exposes the artery and gives you room to work.

Using a hemostatic clamp (or lacking that a small needle nose vice-grips [or lacking that an assistant using needle nose pliers] to restrict the blood flow into the artery from below. This will damage the artery greatly but not fatally. Can't be helped. It's hard to work with blood squirting in your face.

Using any curved surgical needle, preferably smaller than a No.10 (or lacking that any small or medium sewing needle but you'll have to heat it with your lighter [you do smoke, right] and then bend it to a proper curve using yet another two pair of needle nose pliers]) and a silk suture (or lacking that simple thread) repair the sever starting at a stitch in the middle, then left, then right, twice left, twice right.

Remove the clamps (or pliers) to restore blood flow. If it leaks you should be able to apply more sutures without clamping.

Run from the room. You really don't want credit for this.
Why do all that when you could just....
Such potential!