Drug prices

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Henry

Re: Drug prices

Post by Henry »

No no Paulie, Clemenza took the cannoli. Used to get real good cannoli at the Bamboo Lounge, hey!
Now I gotta live the rest of my life like a schnook.
Teddy Bass
Title: Mr. Black Magic Himself

Post by Teddy Bass »

If I cared, Gal. If I fucking cared. If I gave a solitary fuck about cannoli.
If I cared, Gal. If I fucking cared. If I gave a solitary fuck about. . . .
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

So yeah my benefits requires that prescriptions be filled by OptumRx. Sign in securely with 2-factor authentication...and NoScript blocks a DoubleClick tracker/information gatherer attached to what must be a transparent pixel:

Code: Select all

NoScript detected a potential Cross-Site Scripting attack

from https://www.optumrx.com to https://8560775.fls.doubleclick.net.

Suspicious data:

(URL) https://8560775.fls.doubleclick.net/activityi;src=8560775;type=optum00;cat=lpg_o0;dc_lat=;dc_rdid=;tag_for_child_directed_treatment=;tfua=;npa=;ord=14775127823640156? width='1' height='1' frameborder='0' style='display:none'
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Another example:

Fixed Dose Combination Drugs: Consensi Is a Bad Example
The FDA recently approved Consensi, a combination of treatments for two very different diseases. It contains amlodipine, a common drug used to treat high blood pressure, and celecoxib, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), used to relieve the pain of osteoarthritis. It comes in 3 strengths with varying doses of amlodipine, but all formulations contain the same amount of celecoxib: 200 mg. The company website says “ConsensiTM is under patent protection in the U.S. until 2030 and will be the only NSAID whose labeling indicates a reduction of blood pressure and consequent risk reduction of heart attack, stroke and death.”

The Medical Letter recently reviewed Consensi. Their conclusion:

There is no good reason to use the fixed-dose combination…The cost of the combination is much higher than the cost of the two components taken separately, and continued daily use of celecoxib can result in serious adverse effects, including renal and cardiovascular toxicity. Elderly patient should minimize their use of any NSAID, including celecoxib.

The cost for 30 days of treatment with Consensi is $1,287. Generic amlodipine alone costs $1.10. Generic celecoxib alone costs $34.40. Consensi is available at Costco with a free coupon for a reduced price of $1,104.13. Consensi carries a boxed warning of the risk of serious cardiovascular and gastrointestinal events.

The Coeptis and Kitov companies have entered into an agreement for commercialization under which Kitov will receive millions of dollars in royalties, milestone, and reimbursement payments.

Conclusion: An irrational product

It doesn’t make sense to combine these two ingredients for such very different diseases. How many patients have both diseases and would benefit from Consensi?

High blood pressure is seldom controlled on a single anti-hypertensive drug. In the best possible scenario, if a patient happens to have high blood pressure that is already well-controlled with amlodipine alone and also happens to have osteoarthritis that is already well-controlled with 200 mg of celecoxib alone, it would be more convenient to take one combination pill than two single pills. But does that convenience justify an added cost of over a thousand dollars a month, over $12,000 a year? I don’t think so! Patients might argue that they don’t have to pay for it, that insurance pays; but if insurance expenses go up, someone has to pay, and it ultimately impacts all of us.
The idea that insurance pays for it anyway, so why care about the price: I don't understand how people can be so dumb as to think that way. You pay for your insurance one way or another. Ultimately you pay, (I.e., we all collectively pay) it's just that insurance makes it so that the costs are shared among a larger group of people. Here you have two drugs that combined cost less than $40/month, and they combined them into one pill to be sold for over $1,287?? (or $1,104.13 if you use a coupon and shop at Costco :roll: )
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Wow.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
shemp
Title: inbred shit-for-brains

Post by shemp »

Conclusion: An irrational product
Actually, it's very rational, from the POV of the profiteers. I wonder what the doctor's kickback is for prescribing this. Fucking thieves ought to be hanged by their balls until the wind whistles through their vulture-picked and sun-bleached bones.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"what dicking deep shit i produce" -- pillory

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

People are shitting themselves to death
Crap so much they fail to take a breath
But even when their kids are starvin'
They thought Trump would throw them Charmin.
Paulie Cicero
Title: Legitimate Businessman

Post by Paulie Cicero »

I got a drug what's going generic, all of a sudden I can't get a thousand bucks a hit, so I mix it up with another one I can't get five bucks a hit for and fuggetaboutit, I got a ringer worth two grand a hit and I get the licensing fees, no generic for another ten years, I'm set until I gotta mix it up again to make another ringer. It's a very good system. Got high blood pressure? My ringer gave you a stroke? Fuck you, pay me!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

I'll see your ringer and raise you the chemo drug pralatrexate. $120,000/yr