Youth Pills

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Anaxagoras

Youth Pills

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:23 pm

I'm skeptical about this, but it is in Nature, which is supposed to be reputable. It's all just very early studies too, and what exactly it means is unclear to me.

First hint that body’s ‘biological age’ can be reversed
In a small trial, drugs seemed to rejuvenate the body’s ‘epigenetic clock’, which tracks a person’s biological age.

A small clinical study in California has suggested for the first time that it might be possible to reverse the body’s epigenetic clock, which measures a person’s biological age.

For one year, nine healthy volunteers took a cocktail of three common drugs — growth hormone and two diabetes medications — and on average shed 2.5 years of their biological ages, measured by analysing marks on a person’s genomes. The participants’ immune systems also showed signs of rejuvenation.

The results were a surprise even to the trial organizers — but researchers caution that the findings are preliminary because the trial was small and did not include a control arm.

Marks of life
The epigenetic clock relies on the body’s epigenome, which comprises chemical modifications, such as methyl groups, that tag DNA. The pattern of these tags changes during the course of life, and tracks a person’s biological age, which can lag behind or exceed chronological age.

Scientists construct epigenetic clocks by selecting sets of DNA-methylation sites across the genome. In the past few years, Horvath — a pioneer in epigenetic-clock research — has developed some of the most accurate ones.

The latest trial was designed mainly to test whether growth hormone could be used safely in humans to restore tissue in the thymus gland. The gland, which is in the chest between the lungs and the breastbone, is crucial for efficient immune function. White blood cells are produced in bone marrow and then mature inside the thymus, where they become specialized T cells that help the body to fight infections and cancers. But the gland starts to shrink after puberty and increasingly becomes clogged with fat.

Evidence from animal and some human studies shows that growth hormone stimulates regeneration of the thymus. But this hormone can also promote diabetes, so the trial included two widely used anti-diabetic drugs, dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) and metformin, in the treatment cocktail.
But even if these "epigenetic markers" change with age, why would you assume that the key to "turning back time" is to change the markers? After all, you can make a clock's hands go backwards, but time doesn't go backwards.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

shemp
Title: crazy as fuck

Re: Youth Pills

Post by shemp » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:29 pm

I don't know how significant a study involving nine white men between ages 51-65 can be. But being in that demographic, I'm certainly hoping that this leads to something meaningful that could perhaps get me a few more years of life, especially if I'm still mentally and physically fit enough to enjoy it. But this is very preliminary, and even if it works out, with my luck, it won't be available to the public until I'm either too far gone to benefit or I've already snuffed it.
Last edited by shemp on Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:29 pm

Another poorly written fluff piece with little basis in science.

Shame on you Nature.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:36 pm

Call me when it reverses atherosclerosis, replaces infarcted tissue, halts and reverses dementing processes, and makes dicks big enough to satisfy shemp's Mom.

–J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:40 pm

When did monkey glands go out of style?

I remember as a small child, my father and his brothers kidding around staying young with monkey glands.

Or was that just a family joke?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:40 am

I wonder if the idea is that, if you can make a car's odometer go backwards, the car will magically get newer again?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:39 am

Drive backwards then reverse time. And don't forget to watch it all in a mirror or else it won't work.

Or is it eye of newt, hair of toad and some other shit?
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:19 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:40 pm
When did monkey glands go out of style?

I remember as a small child, my father and his brothers kidding around staying young with monkey glands.

Or was that just a family joke?
Nobody else did my homework, so I did it myself. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serge_Voronoff <== Worth reading. :lmao:

It went out of style in the 1940s. :!:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.