Coronavirus: The Upsides

Ever had it before? Well you got it again.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Coronavirus: The Upsides

Post by Doctor X »

Where will you put your hanko?

Let me rephrase that. . . .

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:40 am
Now my company is finally talking about actually going paperless for real.
No one is going paperless until the government passes a law declaring it so......a law that will no doubt be written on paper.
Such potential!

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Some here will appriciate this:

AA worldwide is using Zoom to hold meetings. I'm going to a San Diego meeting tonight with a friend (I'm in VA). I haven't been to many meetings in the last couple of years, so this will be fun maybe. Plus I can turn the volume down on the blowhards. They've always had some level of virtual meets but it's really catching on now, or so I hear. I don't know how they're passing the basket but I'm sure it will be easy.

P.S. I don't want to push this thread off-topic with the AA subject so if you want to comment on that specifically, here's an Award Winning Thread on this board
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34141

Witness

Post by Witness »

Rob Lister wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:04 am
Zoom to hold meetings
[tweet][/tweet]

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Thanks Witness, but interlopers are always welcome at AA meetings. If they want to streak through our zoom meeting butt-ass-naked, we'll grade them accordingly and continue our conversations.

ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

It occurs to me.

This would be the absolute best time to knock over a Museum Collection.

Gotta think on this.
About that stereo

robinson
Title: Sweetheart

Post by robinson »

Yeah. that is what you need to do
oh really?

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Moderna Announces Positive Interim Phase 1 Data for its mRNA Vaccine (mRNA-1273) Against Novel Coronavirus
https://bit.ly/3g9Rzi2

https://investors.modernatx.com/news-re ... na-vaccine
After two doses all participants evaluated to date across the 25 µg and 100 µg dose cohorts seroconverted with binding antibody levels at or above levels seen in convalescent sera

mRNA-1273 elicited neutralizing antibody titer levels in all eight initial participants across the 25 µg and 100 µg dose cohorts, reaching or exceeding neutralizing antibody titers generally seen in convalescent sera

mRNA-1273 was generally safe and well tolerated

mRNA-1273 provided full protection against viral replication in the lungs in a mouse challenge model

Anticipated dose for Phase 3 study between 25 µg and 100 µg; expected to start in July
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

MakotoTanaka

Post by MakotoTanaka »

none here..we do not have lockdown here in japan.

but it encourage people to be more hygeinic .

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

MakotoTanaka wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:43 am
none here..we do not have lockdown here in japan.

but it encourage people to be more hygeinic .
Looks like a real live N00B, not a spammer or hit and run. 8)

Official welcome time. :coolspecs:

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Interesting effect (from two pre-publication papers):
Changes in premature birth rates during the Danish nationwide COVID-19 lockdown: a nationwide register-based prevalence proportion study

Conclusions
The birth rate of extremely premature infants decreased significantly (~90 % reduction) during the Danish nationwide lockdown from a stable rate in the preceding five years. The reasons for this decrease are unclear. Identification of possible causal mechanisms might stimulate changes in clinical practice. Ideally, some cases of extreme prematurity are preventable which may decrease infant morbidity and mortality.
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 1.full.pdf

Reduction in preterm births during the COVID-19 lockdown in Ireland: a natural experiment allowing analysis of data from the prior two decades.

Conclusion: An unprecedented reduction in PTB [Pre Term Births] of VLBW [Very Low Birth Weight] infants was observed in one health region of Ireland during the COVID-19 lockdown. Potential determinants of this unique temporal trend reside in the summative socio-environmental impact of the COVID-19 dictated lockdown.
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 1.full.pdf

If this is so, clearly modern lifestyle isn't very good for making kids. :|

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Moderna's vaccine candidate enters Phase 3 trials.

https://investors.modernatx.com/news-re ... inst-covid

That is very fast progress.

https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04470427
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

Over a million Brits quit smoking over virus fears.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-re ... n-primates
Two doses of an experimental vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) induced robust immune responses and rapidly controlled the coronavirus in the upper and lower airways of rhesus macaques exposed to SARS-CoV-2, report scientists from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the National Institutes of Health. SARS-CoV-2 is the virus that causes COVID-19.

The candidate vaccine, mRNA-1273, was co-developed by scientists at the NIAID Vaccine Research Center and at Moderna, Inc., Cambridge, Massachusetts. The animal study results published online today in the New England Journal of Medicine complement recently reported interim results from an NIAID-sponsored Phase 1 clinical trial of mRNA-1273. The candidate mRNA-1273 vaccine is manufactured by Moderna.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Next they can test it on prisoners and orphans.

What?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness »

Seasonal flu reports hit record lows amid global social distancing

“We’ve seen the lowest ever rates of other viral infection admissions for this time of year,” a doctor in Australia said.

BEIJING — Global social distancing rules targeting coronavirus have pushed influenza infection rates to a record low, early figures show, signalling that the measures are having an unprecedented impact on other communicable diseases.

In China, where the earliest wide-scale lockdown measures began, new reports of diseases including mumps, measles and some sexually transmitted diseases, have declined significantly, though influenza cases have seen the sharpest drop off.

Infections reported monthly by the county’s health ministry have dropped by over 90 percent since the beginning of the lockdown, from an average of around 290,000 cases a month to 23,000.

Canada’s flu surveillance system also reported “exceptionally low levels” of influenza in a recent report, as did other countries that report weekly flu surveillance statistics including the U.K. and Australia.

In its most recent weekly report, South Korea’s infectious disease portal reported an 83 percent decrease in cases from the same period a year earlier.

“We’ve seen the lowest ever rates of other viral infection admissions for this time of year,” said Ben Marais, an expert in infectious disease at the University of Sydney and clinician at the children’s unit at Westmead Hospital.

“We normally have wards full of children with wheezy chests at this time of year, in winter…but this year the wards are essentially empty,” he said.

The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates there are some 3-5 million severe illnesses and up to 500,000 deaths annually linked to seasonal influenza globally.
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... g-n1235453