Stump your fellow simians.
Anaxagoras

Re: Chess

Post by Anaxagoras »

shemp wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:55 pm
Anaxagoras wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:20 am
shuize wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:54 am
Anaxagoras wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:29 am
shuize wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:54 am Speaking of speed chess, I started watching "The Queen's Gambit" on Netflix. It's not the worst chess drama ever, but I had to laugh how they have the players moving at blitz speed in international tournaments.

Also, the actress who played the teenaged heroine looked like a girl I dated in high school.
Dramatic necessity. General audiences don't have the patience to watch classical chess where a player might spend half an hour (or more) considering a move.

I've started watching too, but I'm only on episode 3.

Love how they used to dole out tranquilizers to kids like candy in orphanages in those days. WTF?

Yes, I understand. But the idea of the players moving faster than they can even finish recording their moves makes me laugh.

According to the silly plot, the tranquilizers are responsible for her chess genius.

So, no downers and she's just pounding erasers together.

Spoiler:

Then again, given the mental illness in her family, maybe she needed the tranquilizers after all.

I also liked how her adoptive family just walked in, picked her out and walked out with her in less than an afternoon.
I finished watching it. Silly confession time: Somehow I had it in my head that this was based on a true story. I'd never heard of Elizabeth Harmon before, but I figured I'd look her up after I finished the series (because I didn't want to read any plot spoilers). Apparently it's based on a novel though. It did start to get weird to me that I hadn't ever heard of her if she had such a brilliant chess career. No wonder: it was all fiction. :lol:
I read the book back in 1983. It sucked. The depictions of the chess tournaments weren't realistic. It was clearly written by someone (Walter Tevis) who didn't have much chess knowledge.

Trivia: The game is based on the game GM Vassily Ivanchuk vs GM Patrick Wolff, Biel Interzonal 1993. I played against Wolff four times in tournaments, with one win, one draw and two losses, but those games were all before he achieved the Grandmaster title.
That's cool. What was your best rating?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
shemp
Title: inbred shit-for-brains

Post by shemp »

Anaxagoras wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:05 pm
shemp wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:55 pm
Anaxagoras wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:20 am
shuize wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:54 am
Anaxagoras wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:29 am
shuize wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:54 am Speaking of speed chess, I started watching "The Queen's Gambit" on Netflix. It's not the worst chess drama ever, but I had to laugh how they have the players moving at blitz speed in international tournaments.

Also, the actress who played the teenaged heroine looked like a girl I dated in high school.
Dramatic necessity. General audiences don't have the patience to watch classical chess where a player might spend half an hour (or more) considering a move.

I've started watching too, but I'm only on episode 3.

Love how they used to dole out tranquilizers to kids like candy in orphanages in those days. WTF?

Yes, I understand. But the idea of the players moving faster than they can even finish recording their moves makes me laugh.

According to the silly plot, the tranquilizers are responsible for her chess genius.

So, no downers and she's just pounding erasers together.

Spoiler:

Then again, given the mental illness in her family, maybe she needed the tranquilizers after all.

I also liked how her adoptive family just walked in, picked her out and walked out with her in less than an afternoon.
I finished watching it. Silly confession time: Somehow I had it in my head that this was based on a true story. I'd never heard of Elizabeth Harmon before, but I figured I'd look her up after I finished the series (because I didn't want to read any plot spoilers). Apparently it's based on a novel though. It did start to get weird to me that I hadn't ever heard of her if she had such a brilliant chess career. No wonder: it was all fiction. :lol:
I read the book back in 1983. It sucked. The depictions of the chess tournaments weren't realistic. It was clearly written by someone (Walter Tevis) who didn't have much chess knowledge.

Trivia: The game is based on the game GM Vassily Ivanchuk vs GM Patrick Wolff, Biel Interzonal 1993. I played against Wolff four times in tournaments, with one win, one draw and two losses, but those games were all before he achieved the Grandmaster title.
That's cool. What was your best rating?
I reached 2300 USCF and 2250 FIDE, which is low master level. I wasn't anywhere near as good as these guys, but I had some good games. I haven't played a rated game since 2000.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"what dicking deep shit i produce" -- pillory

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

People are shitting themselves to death
Crap so much they fail to take a breath
But even when their kids are starvin'
They thought Trump would throw them Charmin.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Last time I played chess, it was with my son when he was 4 years old. He beat me and I wasn't trying to lose.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

A dirty, filthy trick

Only works if white opens with D4 though. Most players open with E4.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
shemp
Title: inbred shit-for-brains

Post by shemp »

Only works if White is a patzer. 4. ... Ne7 just screams "TRAP!!! PLEASE TAKE MY KNIGHT!!!" The specific trap may be new, but the motif of Bxf2 or Bxf7 while the d-file is open is as old as the hills. Anytime your opponent puts a piece en prise, you should think long and hard before taking it.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"what dicking deep shit i produce" -- pillory

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

People are shitting themselves to death
Crap so much they fail to take a breath
But even when their kids are starvin'
They thought Trump would throw them Charmin.