Another geometry puzzle

Stump your fellow simians.
ceptimus

Another geometry puzzle

Post by ceptimus »

Find the angle ϴ

triangle.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ceptimus

Re: Another geometry puzzle

Post by ceptimus »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:47 pm Aren't the big one and the little one similar triangles?

I'll go with that == 20 degrees.
Spoiler:
I drew it accurately, so you can see that answer is wrong by measuring it on your screen with a protractor. The challenge, though, is to prove the value of theta using geometry or trigonometry.

It can be done with basic high school geometry - no special knowledge needed. But, of course, it's not obvious at first how to tackle it - which is what makes it an interesting puzzle. :)

It can also be done with high school trigonometry - but it can get a bit messy just using sines, cosines and tangents.

There's also probably a reasonably neat way to do it using basic trigonometry and simultaneous equations.
Witness

Post by Witness »

30°.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:41 pm How did you get there?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_sines
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce »

Brucetta requested 1/4 slice of pizza. Bruce gives her 1/3 slice of pizza. Brucetta says that's too much. What fraction of pizza will Bruce have to remove from the 1/3 slice of pizza to leave her with 1/4?

Bonus questions! How long will it take for Bruce and Mrs. Bruce to argue over the best means solve this puzzle? How long will the argument last before Brucetta says, "Forget about it! I'll just eat the whole 1/3! "
Such potential!
Witness

Post by Witness »

Bruce wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:50 pm Brucetta requested 1/4 slice of pizza. Bruce gives her 1/3 slice of pizza. Brucetta says that's too much. What fraction of pizza will Bruce have to remove from the 1/3 slice of pizza to leave her with 1/4?
1/12. You're joking, right? :notsure:
Bruce wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:50 pm Bonus questions! How long will it take for Bruce and Mrs. Bruce to argue over the best means solve this puzzle? How long will the argument last before Brucetta says, "Forget about it! I'll just eat the whole 1/3! "
Till late into the night, especially after lights out.

Brucetta will behave for 30 seconds (standard case) to 1 minute (on a good day).

Did I win? :mrgreen:
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

:figamagee:
Such potential!
gnome

Post by gnome »

Witness wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:29 pm
Bruce wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:50 pm Brucetta requested 1/4 slice of pizza. Bruce gives her 1/3 slice of pizza. Brucetta says that's too much. What fraction of pizza will Bruce have to remove from the 1/3 slice of pizza to leave her with 1/4?
1/12. You're joking, right? :notsure:
Trick question. Regardless of the amount chosen, it will either be too much removed or too little removed.

In fact, it can be mathematically proven in R2 that the odds of slicing it at exactly the correct mark is literally zero.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ You mean like the probability of choosing any real number?
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

:mrgreen: Perfect excuse to keep the whole pizza to myself.
Such potential!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Zeno might submit that there is no way to provide 1/4th a slice.
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

What's the volume of a circular pizza with radius z, and height a?
gnome

Post by gnome »

V=πz2a
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

Yes, or in plain ASCII, V = Pi z z a
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

What is the most cost effective size of a pizza hut pizza.
gnome

Post by gnome »

Without looking, almost always the largest size.
--Soldier, TF2
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

I would say the zero-size pizza hut pizza (i.e. don't buy one from there) is the most cost-effective solution. Instead, buy one from a supermarket and warm it up yourself.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image