Presidents

Stump your fellow simians.
gnome

Presidents

Post by gnome » Fri May 10, 2019 9:11 pm

Heard this one on a podcast, and found it enjoyable. Paraphrasing for my own purposes.

Bob and Carol are sitting at breakfast. Bob looks up from his paper (it's like last century or something) and says, "Huh. It says here that out of the first five presidents, three of them died on the 4th of July."

Carol says, "I'll bet you I can name one of them [edit to clarify: one of the three that died on July 4]."

The puzzle: Assuming she doesn't personally know when they died, and she's not playing the odds, how is Carol so sure?
Last edited by gnome on Sat May 11, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Presidents

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri May 10, 2019 9:51 pm

Because she read it somewhere. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat May 11, 2019 12:21 am

Bah. But there is an answer available from deduction, that's what I'm looking for.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat May 11, 2019 12:30 am

However mine is the most probable. :p

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat May 11, 2019 10:19 am

Everyone knows who the first president was, at least.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat May 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Talking about being able to know one of the ones that died on the 4th, from that one clue. You can presume if you like that she knows all their names.
--Soldier, TF2

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat May 11, 2019 1:18 pm

gnome wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:11 pm
"Huh. It says here that out of the first five presidents, three of them died on the 4th of July."

Carol says, "I'll bet you I can name one of them."

The puzzle: Assuming she doesn't personally know when they died, and she's not playing the odds, how is Carol so sure?
The antecedent of "them" could be "the first five presidents" If she can name any one of "them" (the first five presidents) then it isn't playing the odds.

But perhaps you were looking for a different answer? When you use a pronoun in an ambiguous way, it leaves that open as a possible interpretation.
William Shakespeare

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat May 11, 2019 3:48 pm

I'm looking for how she can pick one of the five and be fairly certain that she's correct that her pick is one of the three. I'll edit, if that helps.
--Soldier, TF2

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat May 11, 2019 3:51 pm

OK, whoever the 5th president was. That'll be one of the three.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat May 11, 2019 3:54 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:51 pm
Line of reasoning?

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat May 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:54 pm
Anaxagoras wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:51 pm
Line of reasoning?
If the 5th president was not among the three, they would say "Huh. It says here that out of the first four presidents, three of them died on the 4th of July."

You see why? Also why they don't make it "3 out of the first 6" or "3 out of the first 10". Although those statements would also be true, they are less remarkable.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat May 11, 2019 4:17 pm

:figamagee:

But she still needs to know who the fifth president was. 8)

gnome

Post by gnome » Sun May 12, 2019 2:11 am

Anax nailed it. Precisely the answer I was looking for.
--Soldier, TF2