a sword

What's your artifact doing in Boss Kean's ditch?
ed
Title: G_D

a sword

Post by ed »

I said that I'd post some objects that I really really like. This is one.
It is what is called a "Hand and a half" sword.

There are one handed swords and two handed swords, the idea here is that it can be wielded with one had but there is enough room on the grip for the user the gain additional force from his other hand. It weighs 3.5 lbs and is 47" overall with a blade of 37.5".

I dated this example to 1520 +/- but you can see a similar one in this famous Durer drawing dated 1498.

The pommel is referred to as "writhen" ie writhing. Twisted, in knots.
With things like this finding something that is "untouched" from it's birth is unlikely. Often pieces are replaced, blades are remounted (as is so often the case with Japanese swords). My sense is that the pieces are in fact contemporaneous, the style of the finials (on the ends of the cross guard) are of a piece with the pommel. It all "fits" so to speak. I think that there is a good chance that the leather grip is "of the period" too. One could get a carbon dating but that avenue is also fraught.

There is a story of one of the giants of the arms and armour (he was a brit) area finding what he thought was dried blood under a grip. He had it "tested" with nebulous results. Today, we'd know. Such an investigation does not seem far fetched.

The blade is marked "Andrea Ferrara". There is a bit at Wiki on him but I think it is wrong. Ferrara was a bladesmith of some repute, evidentually. So much so that other makers appropriated his name to, originally, deceive but later to add cachet. And still later, I suspect, as sort of a genuflection whose original purpose was lost. You see the name on a wide variety of blades.

Finally, there is the engraving of the Passau Wolf, another image of questionable value insofar as identifying a point of origin of the sword.

Wiki is useful for this:
During the Renaissance and early modern period, Passau was one of the most prolific centres of sword and bladed weapon manufacture in Germany (after Solingen). Passau smiths stamped their blades with the Passau wolf, usually a rather simplified rendering of the wolf on the city's coat-of-arms. Superstitious warriors believed that the Passau wolf conferred invulnerability on the blade's bearer, and thus Passau swords acquired a great premium. According to the Donau-Zeitung, aside from the wolf, some cabalistic signs and inscriptions were added.[5] As a result, the whole practice of placing magical charms on swords to protect the wearers came to be known for a time as "Passau art". (See Eduard Wagner, Cut and Thrust Weapons, 1969.) Other cities' smiths, including those of Solingen, recognized the marketing value of the Passau wolf and adopted it for themselves. By the 17th century, Solingen was producing more wolf-stamped blades than Passau was.
So bottom line Hand and a half sword, German ca. 1520.
About that stereo
ed

Re: a sword

Post by ed »

bump
About that stereo
solely

Post by solely »

nice sword.
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

Back in my pub days, I employed a seriously hard fucker as a bouncer. He went off his nut one night, coked up to fuck and tried to kill his wife with a Samurai sword. The cops showed up and ran him over three times before managing to cuff and arrest him. I have lived in interesting times. :)
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
solely

Post by solely »

I've never owned a sword, but I've seen one up close.
Witness

Post by Witness »

ed showing off his spadone.
solely

Post by solely »

Effective way to social distance ed, well done!
asthmatic camel

asthmatic camel wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:02 pm Back in my pub days, I employed a seriously hard fucker as a bouncer. He went off his nut one night, coked up to fuck and tried to kill his wife with a Samurai sword. The cops showed up and ran him over three times before managing to cuff and arrest him. I have lived in interesting times. :)
True story.

Scary guy.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
ed

Post by ed »

Mr Morrison smirked at his victim
:D

We need a picture.
About that stereo
asthmatic camel

I'm afraid I can't find one. Unarmed I was a match for him and we used to spar outside the pub now and then just to make it clear to the clientele that we weren't to be messed with. The coppers thought they were going to die!

Moz.

It was a tragedy, really. When he was straight he was a really clever, pleasant bloke. With a nose full of coke and a belly full of beer things were rather different.

He was released from Strangeways Prison a couple of years ago.

robinson
Title: Sweetheart

Post by robinson »

Aw cmon

Who hasn’t got coked up and drunk and tried to kill their spouse with a sword?
asthmatic camel

Here's our man. A heavy duty martial artist and body builder.

ed

Post by ed »

About that stereo
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

asthmatic camel wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:51 am
asthmatic camel wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:02 pm Back in my pub days, I employed a seriously hard fucker as a bouncer. He went off his nut one night, coked up to fuck and tried to kill his wife with a Samurai sword. The cops showed up and ran him over three times before managing to cuff and arrest him. I have lived in interesting times. :)
True story.

Scary guy.
He tried to kill his wife with a samurai sword, but failed. Imagine how tough she was!
asthmatic camel

She was bloody terrified! Yet she forgave him, understanding the problems he had.
Fid

Post by Fid »

Dammit, the former lover I tried to kill hit me with the shovel I was making him dig his grave with. Kids these days...
... The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
Witness

Post by Witness »

Having fun in ed's backyard:

Fid

Post by Fid »

And this my friends is why the codpiece fell out of favor.
... The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
robinson
Title: Sweetheart

Post by robinson »

asthmatic camel

See a big, hard bastard arned with one of these, fucking run!