Civil War Vets

What's your artifact doing in Boss Kean's ditch?
ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Civil War Vets

Post by ed » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:34 pm

Found this site
https://www.fold3.com/

Turns out a bunch of relatives were in the CW. I assume that since my last name is unusual and all of us come from a small area in southern Germany and we are probably all related. Also the same damn 4 or 5 first names seem to be all they used for 150 years.

Interesting site, you can get info on your relatives but for detail and downloads they want you to pay. You can get your ducks in a row and get the 7 day trial and go wild I suppose. All these records are public and you can get them elsewhere but I know you really don't want to work so ...

So toss in your name and see what happens.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Giz

Re: Civil War Vets

Post by Giz » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:43 pm

Interesting. They wore blue I presume?

Were they Pennsylvania ‘dutch’?

ed

Post by ed » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:14 pm

Giz wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:43 pm
Interesting. They wore blue I presume?

Were they Pennsylvania ‘dutch’?
Yeah, Union. From MD and surrounding areas mostly. No Generals.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:29 pm

ed wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:34 pm
Found this site

Turns out a bunch of relatives were in the CW. I assume that since my last name is unusual and all of us come from a small area in southern Germany and we are probably all related. Also the same damn 4 or 5 first names seem to be all they used for 150 years.

Interesting site, you can get info on your relatives but for detail and downloads they want you to pay. You can get your ducks in a row and get the 7 day trial and go wild I suppose. All these records are public and you can get them elsewhere but I know you really don't want to work so ...

What happens is they ask for my credit card.

ed

Post by ed » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:07 pm

They'll show you what records have info on your slave owning, horse stealing, vagabond, scallywag ancestors and then you can search. All the records that they have are public record.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:51 pm

ed wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:07 pm
They'll show you what records have info on your slave owning, horse stealing, vagabond, scallywag ancestors and then you can search. All the records that they have are public record.

That is so cool. 8)

What about other civil wars? :notsure:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:22 am

ed wrote:
Found this site

On my recent trip home to visit my parents I was looking through an old family genealogy they had. My first family ancestor to come to America was 16 or 17 at the time and was sold into bondage. He was on the losing side in this battle back in Scotland:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Dunbar_(1650)
He was one of the 10,000 prisoners captured by Cromwell. Just a teenage boy. So they sold him to somebody in New England who needed a servant.

He was a William. There were a lot of Johns and Williams and James in the family tree.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:45 am

御ワイフ様の家族は犯罪者の家族と結婚させましたか?

友達のために聞いています。

--ジャヂ
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

ed

Post by ed » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:09 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:22 am
ed wrote:
Found this site

On my recent trip home to visit my parents I was looking through an old family genealogy they had. My first family ancestor to come to America was 16 or 17 at the time and was sold into bondage. He was on the losing side in this battle back in Scotland:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Dunbar_(1650)
He was one of the 10,000 prisoners captured by Cromwell. Just a teenage boy. So they sold him to somebody in New England who needed a servant.

He was a William. There were a lot of Johns and Williams and James in the family tree.
Do you get reparations?

Giz

Post by Giz » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:57 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:22 am

they sold him to somebody in New England who needed a servant.

He was a William.
He was a Bill of sale?