Pylos

What's your artifact doing in Boss Kean's ditch?
Witness

Pylos

Post by Witness »

Archaeologists unearth gold-lined Mycenaean royal tombs in Greece

The tombs offer insights into Mycenaean culture and trade connections.

Archaeologists recently discovered two magnificent 3,500-year-old royal tombs in the shadow of the palace of the legendary King Nestor of Pylos. It's not clear exactly who the tombs' owners were, but their contents—gold and bronze, amber from the Baltic, amethyst from Egypt, and carnelian from the Arabian Peninsula and India—suggest wealth, power, and far-flung trade connections in the Bronze Age world. And the images engraved on many of those artifacts may eventually help us better understand the Mycenaean culture that preceded classical Greece.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/12 ... in-greece/ for the details.

Fid

Re: Pylos

Post by Fid »

It's not that we're not interested but dang some things send me to the dictionary to look up alternatives to "awesome".

Also I hate to see such cool stuff un-commented on.
... The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan

ed
Title: Not gay

Post by ed »

Look on my works etc.
About that stereo

Fid

Post by Fid »

Noted and logged.

I do seem to remember a photograph of ed's august abode from years ago.
It was replete with all manner of stuff that ones grandma warned us against.
... The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan

ed
Title: Not gay

Post by ed »

Fid wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:36 pm
Noted and logged.

I wasn't saying it regarding me, I was quoting Shelley.
About that stereo

Fid

Post by Fid »

Them boys were always hot to trot though.
Carl Sagan

shemp
Title: inbred shit-for-brains

Post by shemp »

Fid wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:36 pm
Noted and logged.

This is ed's place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"what dicking deep shit i produce" -- pillory

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

People are shitting themselves to death
Crap so much they fail to take a breath
But even when their kids are starvin'
They thought Trump would throw them Charmin.

Fid

Post by Fid »

The august abode has sadly deteriorated lo these many years later. I'm thinking trilobites in concert with crawdads.
Carl Sagan

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce »

the palace of the legendary King Nestor of Pylos.
King Nestor reigned supreme over all the Fizgigs in the lower belt of the Pylorian Cluster. His mighty Nerbian Chandigs kept peace in the Jalorbian valley while the Bengors mined for Felchonite......wait, this stuff is real???
Such potential!

Witness

Post by Witness »

From an earlier find:
The Pylos Combat Agate was found in the tomb of the Griffin warrior, who was buried about 1500 BCE. It is thought to be the finest-known example of prehistoric glyptic art produced in the Aegean Bronze Age.

They really loved their carnage, these Greeks. :mrgreen:

Witness

Post by Witness »

That's the spirit. You'd have felt right at home in Sparta, with a bit of helots hunting from time to time… :mrgreen:

Hu? Fid's post has disappeared?!?

Fid

Post by Fid »

So what's going on here? Obviously some violence and your standard Greek dick flopping around.

Edit yeah it was kinda dumb but did in fact involve dicks
Carl Sagan

Witness

Post by Witness »

Censored post was better. :evil:

Fid

Post by Fid »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helots

Thank you sir, I learn something every day and would not have it otherwise.
Carl Sagan

Witness

Post by Witness »

A record of Pylos, preserved by baking in the fire that destroyed the palace about 1200 BC, according to the excavator, Carl Blegen. The record must date to about 1200, as the unbaked clay, used mainly for diurnal or other short-term records, would soon have disintegrated.

Transliteration:

It's archaic Greek written in Linear B. Those interested can check Michael Ventris who deciphered it:
Shortly before World War II, American archaeologist Carl Blegen discovered a further 600 or so tablets of Linear B in the Mycenaean palace of Pylos. Photographs of these tablets by archaeologist Alison Frantz facilitated Ventris's later decipherment of the Linear B script.[15]

Comparing the Linear B tablets discovered on the Greek mainland, and noting that certain symbol groups appeared only in the Cretan texts, Ventris made the inspired guess that those were place names on the island. This proved to be correct. Armed with the symbols he could decipher from this, Ventris soon unlocked much text and determined that the underlying language of Linear B was in fact Greek. This overturned Evans's theories of Minoan history by establishing that Cretan civilization, at least in the later periods associated with the Linear B tablets, had been part of Mycenean Greece.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Recent excavations in the ancient Greek city of Pylos revealed a gold pendant featuring the likeness of Hathor, an Egyptian goddess who was a protector of the dead.
Article, if interested: Artifacts in Gold-Lined Tombs Hint at Ancient Greek Trade Relationships.