Looters & Smugglers

What's your artifact doing in Boss Kean's ditch?
Witness

Looters & Smugglers

Post by Witness » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:57 am

AP wrote:Greek police break up gang that excavated, sold antiquities

ATHENS, Greece (AP) — Greek police said Wednesday they have broken up a major gang that illegally dug up thousands of antiquities and exported them for sale by conniving European auction houses or directly to private buyers.

A spokesman for the southern Patras police directorate, which headed the 14-month nationwide investigation, said more than 50 people allegedly were involved in the criminal organization.

Twenty-six suspects have been arrested so far, ranging from the alleged leaders to people believed to have been carrying out the illegal, nighttime excavations, police spokesman Haralambos Sfetsos said. They face criminal charges that carry prison terms of 5 to 25 years.

Greece's rich history has for centuries attracted antiquities thieves, who feed a strong demand from private collectors and museums. Under law, all ancient artifacts found in the country are state property.

Police said they confiscated more than 2,000 relics that were dug up in various parts of Greece, mostly coins from as early as the 6th century B.C.

The illegally acquired items also included a large marble Cycladic figurine from the 3rd millennium B.C., gold butterfly-shaped jewelry, rings, bronze statuettes of animals, police photos showed. Authorities said they found two large stone statues — apparently from medieval times — hidden in a well in southern Greece.

The antiquities were mostly sold online by auction houses based in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Britain. Police said the auctioneers knew about the illegal provenance of the artifacts and sometimes helped finance the gang.

The auction houses were not named, in accordance with Greek laws on protecting suspects' identities.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/cb3e3236 ... ntiquities

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: Looters & Smugglers

Post by ed » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:04 am

I have very mixed feelings on this sort of thing.

Counties like Greece have very strict antiquities laws but make little allowance to pay for finds made by individuals. This creates a thriving black market.

Compare and contrast to the UK. There amature archeologits and detectorists work closely with various antiquities boards. They reach out for professional help. Also HM government can purchase finds at fair market value, otherwise the finder can sell them off. In either event the finds tend to be documented. Treasure Trove is a bit different but it does not obviate the thrust of my argument which is that not everything should be either the property of the government or left in the ground.

There is a book that I will reference tomorrow that should be required reading.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
My indifference is boundless :x

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:26 am

ed wrote: Compare and contrast to the UK ...
... the folks who stole and almost destroyed the "Elgin" marbles. :HoppingMad:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

ed

Post by ed » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:31 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
ed wrote: Compare and contrast to the UK ...
... the folks who stole and almost destroyed the "Elgin" marbles. :HoppingMad:
Don't go there, boy-o :x
9.4.3. The sculptures left by Elgin have greatly deteriorated since the early nineteenth century. Their ongoing deterioration was noticed as early as the 1870s, when a new set of casts was taken of the west frieze and was compared with that made in 1802 for Lord Elgin. Further concern at the ongoing damage was expressed when in the 1920s Walter Hege’s photographs of the west frieze were published. In the 1960s a new situation arose from the sudden and immense growth of the population of Athens which, along with industrialisation, brought about urban atmospheric pollution on a scale that corroded not only the exposed sculptures, but also the surface of the Parthenon itself. As Greek scholar Olga Palagia wrote in The Pediments of the Parthenon (Brill Leiden, 1993) after the sculptures that remained in the west pediment were lifted down in 1977, ’the industrial pollution of modern Athens had wreaked havoc upon their delicate surface’. Similar observations were made in a report by a Greek team of archaeologists and conservators following the eventual removal of the 14 blocks of the west frieze in 1993. Meanwhile, some sculptures (including the metope at the extreme west of the south side, which was once the very finest and best preserved of all) are still on the building.
https://www.britishmuseum.org/about_us/ ... gures.aspx

The Greeks are idiots who do not have a moral claim on something that they are either a) apt to destroy and/or b) cannot guarantee access to because of their strikes.

I think that we can agree that modern greeks are insect-like fuckers who are grasping for lost, never to be reattained, glory. They somehow think that stealing goods legally bought will advance that objective. Bull. I am ashamed that I know someone who would, even "humorously" support a contention that would take an element of our human patrimony and put it into the hazard.

I repeat, sir :x

The book I referred to is
Who Owns Antiquity
Who Owns Antiquity?: Museums and the Battle over Our Ancient Heritage

Worth a look-see.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:03 pm

Bloody British. :HoppingMad2:

Later I will dig up Johnny Horton's The battle of New Orleans on You Tube + some Irish rebel songs. :evil:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

ed

Post by ed » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:08 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Bloody British. :HoppingMad2:

Later I will dig up Johnny Horton's The battle of New Orleans on You Tube + some Irish rebel songs. :evil:
You'll probably forget, you old bastard.

if you were jj you'd demand a retraction. If you were Nyarl you'd say I am demanding be vote for Trump. :D