Perpetual dinosaur thread

What's your artifact doing in Boss Kean's ditch?
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Perpetual dinosaur thread

Post by Rob Lister »

Good eats.

ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:41 am
Dinosaur sighting not far from where I live. 8)

Damn dinosaurs shit all over everything. :evil:
Ha! Recognize it!!!

I can hunt you down now.

Except i won't leave fla. And i am too lazy to actually hunt you down. You'd have to come here and self immolate in some horrid way or the other.

I think you are probably safe
About that stereo

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Dr Matt figured out who I was and called me on the phone.

Not implying anything, just sayin' :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

robinson
Title: Sweetheart

Post by robinson »

Witness wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:28 pm
Skull of Smallest Dinosaur Discovered in Amber

Researchers say it is tinier than the smallest living bird, the bee hummingbird, and raises questions about bird evolution.

A 99-million-year old piece of amber containing the skull of a bird that measures a little more than half an inch long.
The piece of amber — about 99 million years old — is smaller than a fingertip, Dr. O’Connor and a team of researchers report on Wednesday in the journal Nature, and suspended inside of it is the skull of the smallest known bird, and, therefore, dinosaur, ever discovered. They called the bird Oculudentavis khaungraae — a name that comes from the Latin words for eye, teeth and bird. The dinosaur’s skull is only 14.25 millimeters, or a little more than half an inch, from its beak to the end of its skull. The animal had bulbous eyes that looked out from the sides of its head, rather than straight ahead like the eyes of an owl or a human.

“We were able to show that this skull is even smaller than that of a bee hummingbird, which is the smallest dinosaur of all time — also the smallest bird,” Dr. O’Connor said. “This is a tiny skull, and it’s just preserved absolutely pristinely.”

Bee hummingbirds, which are still alive today and found in Cuba, have braincases — for birds, that means the skull minus the length of the beak — that measure about 8.8 millimeters long, while the braincase of Oculudentavis is about 7.1 millimeters, or just over a quarter of an inch long. Oculudentavis also has more teeth in its mouth than any other known fossil bird, suggesting the bird was a predator that hunted other creatures.

That it sported so many teeth, though, creates confusion about the evolutionary history of dinosaurs and birds.

Most scientists now believe that birds are theropods, dinosaurs of a group that included tyrannosaurus and spinosaurus, but that birds were on their own evolutionary branch from a common ancestor. Paleontologists have long assumed that as birds evolved away from other dinosaurs, having teeth was a trait that was in the process of disappearing altogether. “But this specimen strongly shows that evolution’s really going in all different directions,” Dr. O’Connor said.

A CT scan of the skull of Oculudentavis, which means eye tooth bird.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/scie ... amber.html
Could it just be a baby bird?
oh really?

robinson

Post by robinson »

I mean dinosaur?
oh really?

robinson

Post by robinson »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:39 pm
Dr Matt figured out who I was and called me on the phone.

Not implying anything, just sayin' :)
I would talk to you on the phone
oh really?

robinson

Post by robinson »

Wow that is so off topic
oh really?

Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:28 pm
Skull of Smallest Dinosaur Discovered in Amber
Retracted:
Retraction Note: Hummingbird-sized dinosaur from the Cretaceous period of Myanmar

We, the authors, are retracting this Article to prevent inaccurate information from remaining in the literature. Although the description of Oculudentavis khaungraae remains accurate, a new unpublished specimen casts doubts upon our hypothesis regarding the phylogenetic position of HPG-15-3.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2553-9

Perhaps not so much because of an erroneous phylogeny as the dubious origin of the "Burmese" amber.