A painted cannon

What's your artifact doing in Boss Kean's ditch?
ed
Title: G_D

A painted cannon

Post by ed »

I have a cannon from ca.1500 that has couple of interesting features. One is that when I got it, it still had a powder charge in it. We flushed it out, dried the powder and ignited it. It burned, but fitfully. It was, supposedly, excavated somewhere in France but the form is decidedly German.

This is it overall
About 4" long, bore is ~ 1 1/2".

The interesting thing is that there are the remains of paint on it. Take a close look
You can make out red and green patches. A friend who spent a lifetime studying these things thought that they were the colors of Nuremberg.

This light little thing could have seen service in a variety of venues, from a castle wall to use in the field.

Perhaps I'll load it and do a video. It is unlikely to blow up I think.

I'm posting because of the paint which is an interesting survival.
About that stereo

Witness

Re: A painted cannon

Post by Witness »

Book of armaments of emperor Maximilian I, ca. 1502.

Fid

Post by Fid »

You sure it's 4" long?
... The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan

ed

Post by ed »

Witness wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:07 am

Book of armaments of emperor Maximilian I, ca. 1502.
Good old Max. Had a helmet of his design once.

Those are called Dopplehakens after the hook which would be put over the edge of a wall to absorb the recoil.

I have one that is interesting.
58765.jpg
It is interesting inasmuch it appears to be the second earliest dated example of a firearm
58765_f.jpg
Thats 1507, they made a 7 like a ^. Undoubtedly a metric precursor.

And the other is 4'. :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
About that stereo

Witness

Post by Witness »

A demo (German blather):

Early Panzerwagen ( :mrgreen: ) with Hakenbüchse, "Hussite Wagon Fortress, 1437, from Johannes Hartlieb's Kriegsbuch":

(I hope it's historically correct. :notsure: )

ed

Post by ed »

Whenever you see some timid euros trying to demo this stuff they can't make a move without falling over safety officers and government busybodies.

I'll take one of mine, take it in the back and blow a gator into the next country (the line is about 1/4 mile away so it isn't a big deal but it sounds good).
About that stereo

Fid

Post by Fid »

But...howabout the trilobites and their less crunchy (but quite tasty) cousins crawdadiae.
... The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan