An interestig American target pistol

What's your artifact doing in Boss Kean's ditch?
ed
Title: G_D

An interestig American target pistol

Post by ed »

Just got this thing. A bit overpriced but it is a single digit serial and in excellent shape.

A brief description
While having the appearance of a semi-auto pistol, the barrel actually tips down for loading by a spring loaded release on the left side. The pistol then must be manually cocked by pulling rearward on the cocking piece extending from the rear of the frame. Adjustable rear sight with blade/bead front sight, full blue finish and checkered hard rubber grips. These odd Stevens pistols don’t show up very often and many collectors have never seen one!
Here is a patent.
https://patentimages.storage.googleapis ... 338381.pdf

The odd thing is that at this time (~1920) colt and others had marketed things like this

Which had a magazine capacity of 10 or more cartridges (not "bullets" you ignorant slut). If you wanted the purity of a single shot pistol you'd buy one of those german things that I posted. This thing, OTOH, looks for all the world like a semi auto but isn't. It is like a gorgeous transvestite... when you get it home you find you have been duped.

A cursory search suggests that they were made between 1919 and 1933 and that about 7000 were made. Thats 15 years of production which means <compute add subtract mumble mumble sharpen pencil> ~450 a year. :shock: :lol: That is not a business, it's a hobby.

Shooting, particularly target shooting was changing back then. This thing was a cul de sac, a good design that solved a problem that really did not exist.

Did I tell you about the angle lamp? Another thing I collected, it's propinquity to this pistol (and other things, actually) suggesths thate there is a "type" of thing that, far from anticipating a problem and solving it, solves somethnig that is no lnger a problem. What would you call such a thing I wonder.

See where the wick comes out? To the side ... at an ... angle ... what this did was to eliminate the shadow that other kerosene lamps cast. Brilliant. A wonder in the 1890's.
The first generating station was opened in September 1882 on Pearl Street in lower Manhattan.
:De_Bunk:

Anyway, I think I might actually write something on this area.
About that stereo
DJ

Re: An interestig American target pistol

Post by DJ »

I’m completely unsure about why I find that interesting, but I do. Thanks for taking the time to post it. I think the pistol is fascinating given the information, especially when you bring in the example of the lamp.
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

The angle lamp makes perfect sense

If you ever had to work by lamplight, you know why
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
ed

Post by ed »

"Lamplight" ... luxury.
About that stereo
ed

Post by ed »

DJ wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:55 pm I’m completely unsure about why I find that interesting, but I do. Thanks for taking the time to post it. I think the pistol is fascinating given the information, especially when you bring in the example of the lamp.
Some guy wrote something about "systemic racism" explaining why black folks are disproportionately arrested or somesuch. I pointed out that he is a univariate kinda guy living in a non-linear, interactive multivariate world and that I was really sorry if he could only see things in 3 or 4 dimensions. I said all that under my black nom de guerre so I was proof against criticism. :lol:

Point is that things like this gun are denizens of complex environments that we can only see by their shadows, cave like. See what I mean? The folks back then were every bit as smart as us and as aware of goings on. Who the fuck would make an angle lamp or an expensive transvestite pistol? Idiots!! Right? But they weren't and that is the intriguing thing. Why?

I've gotten interested in pre-nazi german forearms. The company's that made them (and there were lots, murderous bastards) sorta rose then fell. Turns out that one of them, Franz Stock, was owned by a guy whose brother owned Deutsche Telephon (or whatever) and he was on the Board. The thing was sold and he cashed out. Puts his otherwise odd arms development choices in a new light. The guy was simply indulging his hobby (I think).

So what is the story behind the Angle lamp and the Stevens model 10? Who knows. But the story really isn't about guns.
About that stereo
DJ

Post by DJ »

ed wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:25 pm
DJ wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:55 pm I’m completely unsure about why I find that interesting, but I do. Thanks for taking the time to post it. I think the pistol is fascinating given the information, especially when you bring in the example of the lamp.
Some guy wrote something about "systemic racism" explaining why black folks are disproportionately arrested or somesuch. I pointed out that he is a univariate kinda guy living in a non-linear, interactive multivariate world and that I was really sorry if he could only see things in 3 or 4 dimensions. I said all that under my black nom de guerre so I was proof against criticism. :lol:

Point is that things like this gun are denizens of complex environments that we can only see by their shadows, cave like. See what I mean? The folks back then were every bit as smart as us and as aware of goings on. Who the fuck would make an angle lamp or an expensive transvestite pistol? Idiots!! Right? But they weren't and that is the intriguing thing. Why?

I've gotten interested in pre-nazi german forearms. The company's that made them (and there were lots, murderous bastards) sorta rose then fell. Turns out that one of them, Franz Stock, was owned by a guy whose brother owned Deutsche Telephon (or whatever) and he was on the Board. The thing was sold and he cashed out. Puts his otherwise odd arms development choices in a new light. The guy was simply indulging his hobby (I think).

So what is the story behind the Angle lamp and the Stevens model 10? Who knows. But the story really isn't about guns.
I spent some time with your cave analogy (oddly, while I watched an excavation in Alexandria on a National Geographic show) rattling around in this broken brain of mine. It was evocative of those ancient times. If there is no written narrative then you must look for clues. It’s exciting. I think I’ve come to some simple understanding of why they may have made the lamp. I imagine some wealthy home owners desperate to hold onto their version of the good days while getting rid of those pesky shadows. The pistol is confounding.

Why build the pistol, which is beautiful in its elegant simplicity, without a purpose beyond precision? Is it some strange passion project? It’s baffling, but I do so appreciate not just you bringing it forward, but also your idea of being of a “type”. That’s what’s really fascinating. It’s certainly something to pursue. Well, to me anyway. :wink:
Witness

Post by Witness »

ed wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:19 am Anyway, I think I might actually write something on this area.
Please do!

ed wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:25 pm forearms
I have to ask: what's that?
ed

Post by ed »

Witness wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:11 pm
ed wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:19 am Anyway, I think I might actually write something on this area.
Please do!

ed wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:25 pm forearms
I have to ask: what's that?
Like a firearm but meatier. :D
About that stereo
Witness

Post by Witness »

Oh ed! :roll:

I thought it was some technical term, as French has "arme de poing" (~ fist arm) for handgun and "coup de poing américain" for knuckle dusters.

But no, nothing to learn there, just your fucked up spelling. :x
ed

Post by ed »

DJ wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:56 pm
ed wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:25 pm

I spent some time with your cave analogy (oddly, while I watched an excavation in Alexandria on a National Geographic show) rattling around in this broken brain of mine. It was evocative of those ancient times. If there is no written narrative then you must look for clues. It’s exciting. I think I’ve come to some simple understanding of why they may have made the lamp. I imagine some wealthy home owners desperate to hold onto their version of the good days while getting rid of those pesky shadows. The pistol is confounding.

Why build the pistol, which is beautiful in its elegant simplicity, without a purpose beyond precision? Is it some strange passion project? It’s baffling, but I do so appreciate not just you bringing it forward, but also your idea of being of a “type”. That’s what’s really fascinating. It’s certainly something to pursue. Well, to me anyway. :wink:
The connections of the things to their idiosyncratic reality are evanescent. Where is that wonderful quote from travalian ...
IMG_06391.jpg
I have heard it said that when form changes beyond the demands of function, you have art.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
About that stereo
DJ

Post by DJ »

Was then the inventor merely producing a piece of art much like a painting, and then dutifully numbering the prints for us to admire? I must admit that my first impression was that it’s a beautiful pistol. You’ve framed it nicely with the black background.