If prayer works....

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
User avatar
hammegk
Posts: 15134
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:16 pm
Title: Curmudgeon
Location: Hither, sometimes Yon

Post by hammegk »

Sundog wrote:
But neural nets are a great example of self-organizing behavior not by design, wouldn't you say?
So some aver. Do you own a self-programming pc? Other than the (undesigned) one you came equiped with, I mean.
The most important things in life–beauty, grace, redemption, compassion, loyalty, love–are beyond the reach of reason. Which doesn’t make them any less real. Stay far back: I'm allergic to Stupid.

The simple rule, the greatest plan, that he should keep who has the power, and he should take who can.

The only enemies of guns: rust ... and politicians.

Philanthropist (n.) - Someone who spends his own money to advance his version of Utopia. Socialist (n.) - Someone who spends your money to advance his version of Utopia.

“Jesus loves the little cheeses, all the cheeses of the world. Swiss and Cheddar, stinky, too. If He loved them, so should you. Jesus loves the little cheeses of the world.”

I'm right 98% of the time; who cares about the other 3%?
User avatar
Skeeve
Posts: 12724
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:35 am

Post by Skeeve »

hammegk wrote:
Skeeve wrote:
Clever, that, eh?
Almost as if designed, huh? :wink:
Nah.

Intrinisinc property, only as if designed if chemistry and probability theory and probably things I don't know about were designed.

I'll go with just happened, and that prayer works in the instant case because you're a self-reprogramming chemical computer.
Then Skank Of America could start in...
User avatar
Skeeve
Posts: 12724
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:35 am

Post by Skeeve »

hammegk wrote:So some aver. Do you own a self-programming pc? Other than the (undesigned) one you came equiped with, I mean.
Mercy me, I think you're confusing a primitive binary computer with a complex, self-modifying neural net. The primitive binary computer only modifies its state via memory. The neural net modifies its hardware and connectivity, not only its state, and the modifications appear to be responsible for the memory.
Then Skank Of America could start in...
User avatar
hammegk
Posts: 15134
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:16 pm
Title: Curmudgeon
Location: Hither, sometimes Yon

Post by hammegk »

Skeeve wrote:
Intrinsic property, only as if designed if chemistry and probability theory and probably things I don't know about were designed.
I don't know about you, but I suspect there are a vast number of items in my "I dunno about That" category.

I think you're confusing a primitive binary computer with a complex, self-modifying neural net.
I think not. :)

Do you lean towards weak anthropism, a stronger variety, or just helter-skelter here we are?
The most important things in life–beauty, grace, redemption, compassion, loyalty, love–are beyond the reach of reason. Which doesn’t make them any less real. Stay far back: I'm allergic to Stupid.

The simple rule, the greatest plan, that he should keep who has the power, and he should take who can.

The only enemies of guns: rust ... and politicians.

Philanthropist (n.) - Someone who spends his own money to advance his version of Utopia. Socialist (n.) - Someone who spends your money to advance his version of Utopia.

“Jesus loves the little cheeses, all the cheeses of the world. Swiss and Cheddar, stinky, too. If He loved them, so should you. Jesus loves the little cheeses of the world.”

I'm right 98% of the time; who cares about the other 3%?
User avatar
Skeeve
Posts: 12724
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:35 am

Post by Skeeve »

hammegk wrote:Do you lean towards weak anthropism, a stronger variety, or just helter-skelter here we are?
I lean strongly toward shit happened and now here we are. No anthropomorphism required.
Then Skank Of America could start in...
User avatar
hammegk
Posts: 15134
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:16 pm
Title: Curmudgeon
Location: Hither, sometimes Yon

Post by hammegk »

Your undesigned-and-self-programming neural net has assured you that is the case? OK by me, but mine doesn't seem 100% certain; therefore, hello idealism. :wink:
The most important things in life–beauty, grace, redemption, compassion, loyalty, love–are beyond the reach of reason. Which doesn’t make them any less real. Stay far back: I'm allergic to Stupid.

The simple rule, the greatest plan, that he should keep who has the power, and he should take who can.

The only enemies of guns: rust ... and politicians.

Philanthropist (n.) - Someone who spends his own money to advance his version of Utopia. Socialist (n.) - Someone who spends your money to advance his version of Utopia.

“Jesus loves the little cheeses, all the cheeses of the world. Swiss and Cheddar, stinky, too. If He loved them, so should you. Jesus loves the little cheeses of the world.”

I'm right 98% of the time; who cares about the other 3%?
User avatar
Skeeve
Posts: 12724
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:35 am

Post by Skeeve »

hammegk wrote:Your undesigned-and-self-programming neural net has assured you that is the case? OK by me, but mine doesn't seem 100% certain; therefore, hello idealism. :wink:
No, it strongly disposes me to conclude that's far and away the most likely thing. Certainty certainly isn't.
Then Skank Of America could start in...
User avatar
hammegk
Posts: 15134
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:16 pm
Title: Curmudgeon
Location: Hither, sometimes Yon

Post by hammegk »

When you follow that train of thought, how can you not be an idealist? :?

(Damn Wittgenstein; ~materialist rather than idealist, maybe)? :wink:
The most important things in life–beauty, grace, redemption, compassion, loyalty, love–are beyond the reach of reason. Which doesn’t make them any less real. Stay far back: I'm allergic to Stupid.

The simple rule, the greatest plan, that he should keep who has the power, and he should take who can.

The only enemies of guns: rust ... and politicians.

Philanthropist (n.) - Someone who spends his own money to advance his version of Utopia. Socialist (n.) - Someone who spends your money to advance his version of Utopia.

“Jesus loves the little cheeses, all the cheeses of the world. Swiss and Cheddar, stinky, too. If He loved them, so should you. Jesus loves the little cheeses of the world.”

I'm right 98% of the time; who cares about the other 3%?
User avatar
Sundog
Posts: 2576
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:27 pm

Post by Sundog »

Hammy positively purring. I've seen it all now.
User avatar
Skeeve
Posts: 12724
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:35 am

Post by Skeeve »

hammegk wrote:When you follow that train of thought, how can you not be an idealist? :?

(Damn Wittgenstein; ~materialist rather than idealist, maybe)? :wink:
I act as though I'm a materialist, lacking any incentive to do otherwise.

Et tu, Brutus?
Then Skank Of America could start in...