Atheist to lead "Prayer" in Florida council meetin

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
Andonyx

Atheist to lead "Prayer" in Florida council meetin

Post by Andonyx »

It was Councilman John Dingfelder's turn to pick prayer givers for July. After talking with Ed Golly, chairman of Atheists of Florida, Dingfelder chose an atheist for one meeting.

``Everybody deserves their opportunity, as long as it's respectful,'' he said.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/ ... -headlines

What's interesting is that pretty much everybody interviewed in the article had an attitude of, "Yeah, okay whatever."
Last edited by Andonyx on Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sundog

Post by Sundog »

That was probably the actual text of the prayer, too!
Scot C. Trypal

Post by Scot C. Trypal »

I was asked by my rep. to do this in my state legislature, but decided it wasn’t appropriate (also worried it would hurt me politically much more than help). The Unitarian minister took my place and did a much better job than I could have.

Should an agnostic or atheist involve themselves in these sort of religious/governmental ceremonies? It just seemed right to decline but I’m not sure. I still don’t even know what to do when my in-laws pray at dinner. Say amen or no? Both options seem disrespectful.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Start eating in the middle of the prayer?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Andonyx

UPDATE!

Post by Andonyx »

Here's a little follow-up:
TAMPA -- Three Tampa city council members walked out of chambers rather than listen to an atheist give the opening invocation.

Council members Kevin White, Mary Alvarez and Rose Ferlita left their seats Thursday rather than listen to Michael R. Harvey, a member of Atheists of Florida who had been invited by council member John Dingfelder to offer the invocation.

Even before Harvey spoke, White was pushing to cancel the invocation. These are sacred moments that refer to a supreme being, White said, and this speaker doesn't believe in God.

``We have never had people of an atheist group represent Americans,'' White said. ``And I don't think it is appropriate in this setting.''
Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

``We have never had people of an atheist group represent Americans,'' White said. ``And I don't think it is appropriate in this setting.''
Jackasses. :roll:
You'll all be mine, in the end.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Quester_X wrote:
Hey, at least it's not as bad as when Bush Sr. said that atheists shouldn't even be considered citizens.

It's just more evidence that atheists are a convenient group for politicians to bash. Replace the word 'atheist' in that sentence with just about any religion except maybe Satanists, and people would flip out. But since they bashed atheists, it's okay with most people and a certain (large) segment of the population is likely scrambling for their wallets even now to assure these guys' re-election.
MLynn

Post by MLynn »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Quester_X wrote:
Hey, at least it's not as bad as when Bush Sr. said that atheists shouldn't even be considered citizens.
O, tentacled one, did Bush really say this about atheists? :o
Obey the zombie whippet or she will eat your brain
I for one welcome our zombie Christian overlord - Philip
Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

O, tentacled one, did Bush really say this about atheists?
Yes, he did. And more. To the face of the head of American Atheists. Jerkwad. :evil:
You'll all be mine, in the end.
MLynn

Post by MLynn »

Quester_X wrote:
Yes, he did. And more. To the face of the head of American Atheists. Jerkwad. :evil:
So much for the First Amendment... :roll:
Obey the zombie whippet or she will eat your brain
I for one welcome our zombie Christian overlord - Philip
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Quester_X wrote:
[derail]I love this phrase Quester: To the face of the head

:lol:

I'm not making serious fun of you....I do like that phrasing.....

[/derail]
If you can't laugh, what good are you?

I thought I won't submit this...but who cares...let it roll. -Pillory
Regnad Kcin

Post by Regnad Kcin »

MLynn wrote: ...[D]id Bush really say this about atheists? :o
"I don't know that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God." -- George H.W. Bush, August 27, 1987
[size=75]"I was misinformed." - Rick Blaine, from [i]Casablanca[/i][/size]
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Dear God, if there is a God, help us if you can.
-- Robert Ingersoll
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

MLynn wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Quester_X wrote:
O, tentacled one, did Bush really say this about atheists? :o
AS other have pointed out, yes he did. It wasn't just some little slip of the tongue either. When pressed on the issue, his spokespeople neither apologized nor explained his comments. His spokespeople told one guy who was hounding him on the issue "Belive in God and get off our backs"

Here is a little history on the incident