Welcome to the Crystal Cathedral

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Welcome to the Crystal Cathedral

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

If you want to be a millionaire, one way is to do this and do it well:

http://www.crystalcathedral.org/
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Lisa Simpson

Post by Lisa Simpson »

My grandparents loved Robert Schuller and "bought" glass panes of the Crystal Cathedral in honor of their children and grandchildren. It amuses me endlessly every time I see the CC. You see, I'm Buddhist. And easily amused.

One funny thing about the Crystal Cathedral is that there is a higher divorce rate amongst people who are married there. My brother-in-law's first marriage took place there. He's on marriage number 3 currently.
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Lisa Simpson wrote: You see, I'm Buddhist. And easily amused...
Is being easily amused part of the Buddhist deal?

I'm an atheist and amuse myself.

Some would call it masturbation. :P :D

Lisa Simpson

Post by Lisa Simpson »

Nah...they just happen to coincide. Buddhism didn't change how amusing I find life.

Those early years of Sunday school at Robert Schuller's church (the Crystal Cathedral wasn't yet built) were really important to my later religious beliefs. I got to color in pictures of blond-haired, blue-eyed Jesus, and learn about how all the heathens are going to Hell. Now I'm a heathen. It has come full circle.

My aunt and uncle used to go to the drive-in part of Schuller's church. It was just like the drive-in movies. You got the little speaker thing to hang on the window and you got to give money for the pleasure. Someone would come around to the cars and collect the tithes.
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Lisa Simpson wrote: My aunt and uncle used to go to the drive-in part of Schuller's church. It was just like the drive-in movies. You got the little speaker thing to hang on the window and you got to give money for the pleasure. Someone would come around to the cars and collect the tithes.
Drive in? Didn't know about that, but it fits. :D

Loon

Post by Loon »

My dad works a block from the Crystal Cathedral. If I recall, he can see it from his office window.

Not sure that's relevant, but now I know where Lisa Simpson grew up. Are you still in the area?
I guess there he chose to err on the side of more votes. -[size=75]Grammatron[/size]
Lisa Simpson

Post by Lisa Simpson »

I'm still in Orange County, but not in Garden Grove anymore. Growing up, we could sit in the back yard and watch the fireworks from Disneyland.
Loon

Post by Loon »

Lisa Simpson wrote:I'm still in Orange County, but not in Garden Grove anymore. Growing up, we could sit in the back yard and watch the fireworks from Disneyland.
Ditto. Well, the front yard. You just missed the SoCal skeptics gathering. I had no idea you were in the area :(.

Next time.
I guess there he chose to err on the side of more votes. -[size=75]Grammatron[/size]
Lisa Simpson

Post by Lisa Simpson »

Loon wrote:
Lisa Simpson wrote:I'm still in Orange County, but not in Garden Grove anymore. Growing up, we could sit in the back yard and watch the fireworks from Disneyland.
Ditto. Well, the front yard. You just missed the SoCal skeptics gathering. I had no idea you were in the area :(.

Next time.
Yeah, I knew there was a gathering, but I already had plans to be Jammin' at the Orange County Fair that day. Weird Al Yankovic was playing. :D
MLynn

Post by MLynn »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Lisa Simpson wrote: My aunt and uncle used to go to the drive-in part of Schuller's church. It was just like the drive-in movies. You got the little speaker thing to hang on the window and you got to give money for the pleasure. Someone would come around to the cars and collect the tithes.
Drive in? Didn't know about that, but it fits. :D
Drive-in churches were big in the 70's for some reason. There was one Presbyterian church near a friend's house that had a drive-in lot. My friend told me she saw people in pj's in their cars, and ushers would take offerings by going to each car in the lot - weird, huh?
Obey the zombie whippet or she will eat your brain
I for one welcome our zombie Christian overlord - Philip
Loon

Post by Loon »

MLynn wrote:Drive-in churches were big in the 70's for some reason. There was one Presbyterian church near a friend's house that had a drive-in lot. My friend told me she saw people in pj's in their cars, and ushers would take offerings by going to each car in the lot - weird, huh?
Drive-in churches? That's a contradiction in terms. Church is for not making out and drive-ins are for making out. Talk about a glitch in the Matrix...