Religiousity in the US vs. Religiousityin Europe

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

DanishDynamite wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
DanishDynamite wrote:Here's my point: Suppose a book was released in the US during the height of the "freedom fries" hilarity with the title:

"How the French trained the 9/11 attackers and sold nuclear missiles to Iraq: The inside truth from an insider."

Do you think it might have sold a few books?
I know it would have sold "few" books, I doubt it would be on the best sellers list.
Whatever.

Arguing that a book sold well (if I recall, it was 400,000 copies in a country of over 50,000,000) makes no case of anything. I'm sure the books on Lady Diana's lifestory or affair sold a lot as well. So what?
What do you mean so what, that was the whole point about what kind of "woo-woo" Europians believe.
DanishDynamite

Post by DanishDynamite »

Grammatron wrote:
DanishDynamite wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
DanishDynamite wrote:Yes, this is my understanding of how it works in the US as well. Being good at basketball or some other sport can get you into a university even with little understanding of what you were tought in class.
So is being a good musician, or being good in whatever other field you want to pursue in the University.
In this country musicians and basketball players aren't trained in a university. A university is for the training of the mind.
Can you post a curriculum from a Danish university please?
That's a toughy. You mean which courses are offered? In English?
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

DanishDynamite wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
DanishDynamite wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
DanishDynamite wrote:Yes, this is my understanding of how it works in the US as well. Being good at basketball or some other sport can get you into a university even with little understanding of what you were tought in class.
So is being a good musician, or being good in whatever other field you want to pursue in the University.
In this country musicians and basketball players aren't trained in a university. A university is for the training of the mind.
Yes if you can, I'm just curious to see how right you are :)

Also, what does "Gymnasiepædagogik" mean?
DanishDynamite

Post by DanishDynamite »

Grammatron wrote:
DanishDynamite wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
DanishDynamite wrote:Here's my point: Suppose a book was released in the US during the height of the "freedom fries" hilarity with the title:

"How the French trained the 9/11 attackers and sold nuclear missiles to Iraq: The inside truth from an insider."

Do you think it might have sold a few books?
I know it would have sold "few" books, I doubt it would be on the best sellers list.
Whatever.

Arguing that a book sold well (if I recall, it was 400,000 copies in a country of over 50,000,000) makes no case of anything. I'm sure the books on Lady Diana's lifestory or affair sold a lot as well. So what?
What do you mean so what, that was the whole point about what kind of "woo-woo" Europians believe.
You'll need to elaborate. In what sense does a bestseller reflect on the general woo-wooness of a population?
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

DanishDynamite wrote:
You'll need to elaborate. In what sense does a bestseller reflect on the general woo-wooness of a population?
I think woo-woo is measured in how much money people are being duped out of. It's one of the ways to measure it anyway.
DanishDynamite

Post by DanishDynamite »

Grammatron wrote:
DanishDynamite wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
DanishDynamite wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
Yes if you can, I'm just curious to see how right you are :)

Also, what does "Gymnasiepædagogik" mean?
"Gymnasiepædagogik" means "high school teaching abilities" as best as I can translate.

I'm having a hard time finding the curriculums in english.

My place of instruction has this page (in Danish):

http://www.studievalg.dtu.dk/civilingenioer

Somewhere near the bottom it mentions the Bachalor degrees you can acquire. I'll attempt to translate:

Bioteknologi: Biotechnology
Byggeteknologi: Building technology
Elektroteknologi: Electrotechnology
Fysik og Nanoteknologi: Physics and nanotechnology
Kemi og Teknologi: Chemistry and Technology
Kommunikationsteknologi: Communications technology
Matematik og Teknologi: Mathematics and technology
Miljøteknologi: Environmental technology
Produktion og Konstruktion: Production and Construction
Softwareteknologi: Software technology
Design og Innovation: Same
Medicin og Teknologi: Medicine and technology
DanishDynamite

Post by DanishDynamite »

Grammatron wrote:
DanishDynamite wrote:
I think woo-woo is measured in how much money people are being duped out of. It's one of the ways to measure it anyway.
I suppose this could be a measure. Only problem is defining "duped".

BTW, if this is your definition, could you kindly provide some relevant links discussing this subject? And what does bestsellers have to do with this? Surely the income from a bestseller is unmeasurably small when compared to the total income generated by the dupes and handed over to the dupers?
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

It would be linked on Bill O'Reilly's webpage. . . .

Anyways, my experience is only with English and Irish--and Scottish universities. In general, Brits are about a year more specialized than Americans. Brits go to a university to "read" a degree--they apply to a "major" whereas Americans tend to go to a university, study for a year or two then "declare" a major. Sure, many Americans "know" what they want to do.

It is very hard to "switch" in a British university--if not almost impossible. This is common in American universities.

British universities use to look at "Dean" letters from your "high school," extra curriculars and then make an offer based on what was then called your "A levels" which are like the Advance Placement tests in the US. A budding physicist would, obviously, take A levels in the appropriate areas, and not "Theories of Full-Contact Basket Weaving."

The British university "likes" you based on the offer--at least that is how it was in the past. So, if the faculty wants you they may offer something like "two Bs and a C" meaning this is the minimum you need to get in. I had heard of cases where a university REALLY did not want the guy so offered something like "all As" on a lot of A levels . . . only to have the guy get it! I believe the faculty was forced to take him. This may be Brit student "urban myth."

How does that work for Continental European universities? How the fuck should I know?! I just noticed Danish-Dynamite bitching about how "no one replies to his interesting threads." What is it about these Danes, anyways? Is it because most Americans thing of something you eat rather than a hairy guy rogering a goat?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

DanishDynamite wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
DanishDynamite wrote:

BTW, if this is your definition, could you kindly provide some relevant links discussing this subject? And what does bestsellers have to do with this? Surely the income from a bestseller is unmeasurably small when compared to the total income generated by the dupes and handed over to the dupers?
Well look how many people went to see Moore's film, just goes to show you Americans are willing to spend money on that crapolla.

I don't understand yout last question.
DanishDynamite

Post by DanishDynamite »

Doctor X wrote:
It would be linked on Bill O'Reilly's webpage. . . .

Anyways, my experience is only with English and Irish--and Scottish universities. In general, Brits are about a year more specialized than Americans. Brits go to a university to "read" a degree--they apply to a "major" whereas Americans tend to go to a university, study for a year or two then "declare" a major. Sure, many Americans "know" what they want to do.

It is very hard to "switch" in a British university--if not almost impossible. This is common in American universities.

British universities use to look at "Dean" letters from your "high school," extra curriculars and then make an offer based on what was then called your "A levels" which are like the Advance Placement tests in the US. A budding physicist would, obviously, take A levels in the appropriate areas, and not "Theories of Full-Contact Basket Weaving."

The British university "likes" you based on the offer--at least that is how it was in the past. So, if the faculty wants you they may offer something like "two Bs and a C" meaning this is the minimum you need to get in. I had heard of cases where a university REALLY did not want the guy so offered something like "all As" on a lot of A levels . . . only to have the guy get it! I believe the faculty was forced to take him. This may be Brit student "urban myth."
You lost me. A university offered a student all A's, and everyone was surprised when the student came on board? I guess I don't understand what you mean.
I just noticed Danish-Dynamite bitching about how "no one replies to his interesting threads." What is it about these Danes, anyways? Is it because most Americans thing of something you eat rather than a hairy guy rogering a goat?
Sorry for trying to generate a bit of intellectual stimulation. I realize this is outside your area of experience.

So, how about them Celtics? :)
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Well look how many people went to see Moore's film, just goes to show you Americans are willing to spend money on that crapolla.
:D

To be fair, the SwiftBoatsVets book rose to number one on Amazon during the first day.

People like controversy. I think this is the same throughout the world.

Okay . . . they do not like controversy in Belize. . . .

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
DanishDynamite

Post by DanishDynamite »

Grammatron wrote:
DanishDynamite wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
DanishDynamite wrote:

Which highlights my question on how to determine the definition of "duped".
I don't understand yout last question.
You claim that the French bestseller status of a book on some conspiracy theory concerning Americans behind 9/11 shows evidence of woo-wooness in the French.

Yet you also said that woo-wooness could be measured by how much money the dupes hand over to the dupers. It seems to me that not onlky is the definition of "duped" (and its relation to woo-woo) unclear, but the income generated by the sale of this book is miniscule compared to the total income of dupers in France.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

You lost me. A university offered a student all A's, and everyone was surprised when the student came on board? I guess I don't understand what you mean.
If the story is "true"--and not a student urban legend--the idea is that no one expected said student to get As on all of his A-Level exams. They changed the name of A levels to something I have forgotten.
Sorry for trying to generate a bit of intellectual stimulation.
No. Some sins are unforgiveable.
So, how about them Celtics? [Smile]
What?! HEY! SCREW YOU!! HIPPY!!

Anyways, I always wondered why the team was pronounced "Seltics." All over, "celtic" is "keltic."

However, I had a "Celtics" t-shirt in England and someone asked if it refered to the Glasgow "Seltics"--his pronounciation.

How about them Patriots?

--J.D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Doctor X wrote: How about them Patriots?

--J.D.
Screw them and let's get back to the topic of how wrong Danish is.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Anyways regarding the dispute between Grammatron and PastryExplosive, I reiterate that there is a fair amount of "WooWooism" everywhere.

Whilst Americans buy books on angels, political conspiracies from both sides, and has a "Discovery Channel" that discusses the "true" predictions of Nostradamus, the French have their own problems--such as electing openly fascists.

At least we voted against Pat Buchanan . . . unless you were a democrat in Florida and unable to handle such convoluted tasks as determining the difference between "Gore" and "Buchanan. . . ."

Some of it is merely providing "evidences" for a preconceived notion. Those who want to believe in a religion eat up angel books and pap like that. French looking for a conspiracy ate that up.

Different situations, but similar problems.

I "think" immigration is becoming a bigger problem in Europe, for example because of:

1. Smaller size of countries--easier for those Meskin's to hide here [Stop that!--Ed.]

2. Traditionally homogenous people--immigrants seem very different.

this drives the anti-immigration in Europe more, I think, than here in the US.

--J.D.

DanishDynamite

Post by DanishDynamite »

Grammatron wrote:
Doctor X wrote: How about them Patriots?

--J.D.
:D
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Do not be bitter that you lost their team . . . that then won superbowls in St. Louis . . . only to be crushed by the Patriots. . . .

Besides, discussing why Danish is wrong is just not challenging.

--J.D.

DanishDynamite

Post by DanishDynamite »

Doctor X wrote:
If the story is "true"--and not a student urban legend--the idea is that no one expected said student to get As on all of his A-Level exams. They changed the name of A levels to something I have forgotten.
OK. I think I'm beginning to understand.

When you say a university "offered" certain grades, you mean they required certain grades. Am I right so far?

I'm don't understand how a university could do so, though. I thought they just took in the top of the crop for a given year.
Sorry for trying to generate a bit of intellectual stimulation.
No. Some sins are unforgiveable.
Priceless.
So, how about them Celtics? [Smile]
What?! HEY! SCREW YOU!! HIPPY!!

Anyways, I always wondered why the team was pronounced "Seltics." All over, "celtic" is "keltic."

However, I had a "Celtics" t-shirt in England and someone asked if it refered to the Glasgow "Seltics"--his pronounciation.

How about them Patriots?

--J.D.
My only knowledge of the "Celtics" is via American TV shows. I'm afraid I have no idea of how they should be properly pronounced.

In regard to the Patriots, I'm glad you broched that question. Seriously, those misiles really suck. Just look at their record when deployed in Israel.

[:))
DanishDynamite

Post by DanishDynamite »

Doctor X wrote:Anyways regarding the dispute between Grammatron and PastryExplosive, I reiterate that there is a fair amount of "WooWooism" everywhere.

Whilst Americans buy books on angels, political conspiracies from both sides, and has a "Discovery Channel" that discusses the "true" predictions of Nostradamus, the French have their own problems--such as electing openly fascists.
How does voting for a facist make you a woo-woo?
At least we voted against Pat Buchanan . . . unless you were a democrat in Florida and unable to handle such convoluted tasks as determining the difference between "Gore" and "Buchanan. . . ."

Some of it is merely providing "evidences" for a preconceived notion. Those who want to believe in a religion eat up angel books and pap like that. French looking for a conspiracy ate that up.

Different situations, but similar problems.
Different things indeed, and not related to woo-wooism as far as I can see.

(Sorry for being serious when I know you weren't. :))
I "think" immigration is becoming a bigger problem in Europe, for example because of:

1. Smaller size of countries--easier for those Meskin's to hide here [Stop that!--Ed.]

2. Traditionally homogenous people--immigrants seem very different.

this drives the anti-immigration in Europe more, I think, than here in the US.
We agree. :o

Pretty scary if you ask me.
DanishDynamite

Post by DanishDynamite »

Doctor X wrote:Besides, discussing why Danish is wrong is just not challenging.

--J.D.
If only the track record would agree. :wink: