Freeman Dyson climate heretic

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 80940
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago

Freeman Dyson climate heretic

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Top boffin Freeman Dyson on climate change, interstellar travel, fusion, and more
The Register
... An Obama supporter who describes himself as "100 per cent Democrat," Dyson says he is disappointed that the President "chose the wrong side." Increasing CO2 in the atmosphere does more good than harm, he argues, but it is not an insurmountable crisis. Climate change, he tells us, "is not a scientific mystery but a human mystery. How does it happen that a whole generation of scientific experts is blind to obvious facts?" ...
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

User avatar
sparks
Posts: 16223
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:13 pm
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Freeman Dyson climate heretic

Post by sparks »

Is it the whole generation of scientific experts that's blind to obvious facts there Freeman, or you?

Just goes to show that even really smart people aren't immune to being dead wrong from time to time.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

User avatar
Rob Lister
Posts: 21774
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed

Re: Freeman Dyson climate heretic

Post by Rob Lister »

sparks wrote:Is it the whole generation of scientific experts that's blind to obvious facts there Freeman, or you?

Just goes to show that even really smart people aren't immune to being dead wrong from time to time.
I think that is worth remembering.

Is there anything he said in that article that you disagree with?

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 80940
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago

Re: Freeman Dyson climate heretic

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Look what Freeman Dyson is doing to the planet by being a denier:

Susan Rice Blames Climate Change For Conflict in Syria
Breitbart

It is scientifically proven and don't listen to that senile old fool . :notsure:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

User avatar
sparks
Posts: 16223
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:13 pm
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Freeman Dyson climate heretic

Post by sparks »

Rob Lister wrote:
sparks wrote:Is it the whole generation of scientific experts that's blind to obvious facts there Freeman, or you?

Just goes to show that even really smart people aren't immune to being dead wrong from time to time.
I think that is worth remembering.

Is there anything he said in that article that you disagree with?
Just the climate change denial shit.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

User avatar
Rob Lister
Posts: 21774
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed

Re: Freeman Dyson climate heretic

Post by Rob Lister »

sparks wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:
sparks wrote:Is it the whole generation of scientific experts that's blind to obvious facts there Freeman, or you?

Just goes to show that even really smart people aren't immune to being dead wrong from time to time.
I think that is worth remembering.

Is there anything he said in that article that you disagree with?
Just the climate change denial shit.
I didn't see where he denied there was a change in climate. What he said was that our approach to dealing with that change was utterly wrong-headed.

Care to point to a specific?

User avatar
sparks
Posts: 16223
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:13 pm
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Freeman Dyson climate heretic

Post by sparks »

Where he says increased CO2 in the atmosphere does more good than harm.

Can't buy it unless/until he or someone else elaborates on that.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

User avatar
Rob Lister
Posts: 21774
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed

Re: Freeman Dyson climate heretic

Post by Rob Lister »

sparks wrote:Where he says increased CO2 in the atmosphere does more good than harm.

Can't buy it unless/until he or someone else elaborates on that.
What evidence to the contrary. Have you done an accounting? Or do you just trust the accounting of those you say "are prone to be dead wrong" from time to time.

Which parts of what they say do you believe? All of it?

You're willing to disregard everything he says for one unsubstantiated statement. He has actually elucidated on that elsewhere, BTW.

User avatar
sparks
Posts: 16223
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:13 pm
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Freeman Dyson climate heretic

Post by sparks »

Good. Please show us all.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

User avatar
Doctor X
Posts: 71901
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom

Re: Freeman Dyson climate heretic

Post by Doctor X »

Is this about Deflategate? :hyper:





Then why is there all this popcorn?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

User avatar
robinson
Posts: 5284
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Hmmm ...
Location: USA

Re: Freeman Dyson climate heretic

Post by robinson »

Rob Lister wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:08 pm
sparks wrote:Where he says increased CO2 in the atmosphere does more good than harm.

Can't buy it unless/until he or someone else elaborates on that.
What evidence to the contrary. Have you done an accounting? Or do you just trust the accounting of those you say "are prone to be dead wrong" from time to time.

Which parts of what they say do you believe? All of it?

You're willing to disregard everything he says for one unsubstantiated statement. He has actually elucidated on that elsewhere, BTW.
Freeman was actually right about almost every last thing, (no surprise there). The knee jerk reactions from "self proclaimed really smart people (who post online all the time)" about how wrong he was, that is just the priceless humor of the internet. A gift that keeps on giving.







































No kidding.





























Knee jerk shit post coming in a matter of hours.
























:mrgreen:






Wanna bet?
♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ "

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor."

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 80940
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago

Re: Freeman Dyson climate heretic

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Great Bayesian algorithm predicted this very self referential shitpost. :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.