Heathens' corner

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
Witness

Re: Heathens' corner

Post by Witness »

Two Mount Athos monasteries on lockdown following coronavirus outbreak

At least two monasteries on Mount Athos have been put on lockdown after a coronavirus outbreak was reported on Monday at the world-famous monastic community in northern Greece.

The monasteries of Great Lavra and Panteleimonas have reportedly closed their doors to all visitors and pilgrims until further notice to protect their monks from the spread of the virus.

Epidemiologists and Health Ministry adviser Sotiris Tsiodras and Secretary-General for Civil Protection Vassilis Papageorgiou, meanwhile, traveled Mount Athos on Tuesday morning to meet with representatives of the monastic community to discuss the way forward.

Ten people have so far tested positive for the novel coronavirus on Mount Athos, eight of whom are monks at the Monastery of Saint Paul.

One monk, aged 85, is said to be in critical condition at the Papanikolaou Hospital in the northern port city of Thessaloniki.

Russian Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin was due to travel to Mount Athos on Wednesday, but it was not clear on Tuesday whether the unofficial visit will go ahead as planned.
https://www.ekathimerini.com/257241/art ... s-outbreak
Witness

Post by Witness »

German Catholic Church is losing priests and parishes

A key issue for this fall's Bishops' Conference will be the pressures facing the Catholic Church in Germany. Fewer priests mean fewer communities, even in one of the world's richest dioceses.

The end of the people's church

Restructuring is the church's new buzzword, given the sinking number of churchgoers and feared decline in church tax revenue. Cologne's Archdiocese is Germany's largest and one of the world's richest but plans to reduce its parishes from about 500 to 50 by 2030. One priest would oversee each enlarged community, such as in Cologne or Mainz.

"We can't act like we are still a people's church like it used to be," Picken said. "Those nostalgic days are over." That's why churches need to be restructured to "ensure they aren't a burden, but useful," he added. Picken wants to see the church again concern itself with the "substance" of belief.

Priests wanted

The restructuring is the clearest consequence of a lack of priests, which Germany's church has been forced to confront internally for years.

The issue will be brought more into the open during this week's Bishops' Conference in Fulda in central Germany. Church officials face the challenge of averting a crisis while rebuilding its standing amid abuse scandals and debates with the Vatican.

In a July statement, the Vatican opposed the German church's plans, saying each church must be led by a priest. The statement frustrated church officials, as it was seen as a clear rejection of a plan to form teams of priests and laypeople working on equal footing to oversee administration and pastoral work.
https://www.dw.com/en/german-catholic-c ... a-55016966

Good. :twisted:
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Good?

It depends on what rushes into the vacuum. :MuhammadBoom:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Witness

Post by Witness »

I get your point, but I doubt that people tired of religion will suddenly embrace a new one. Or, to put it more dramatically, that Catholicism is a bulwark against Islam.

And do we really want to rely on one superstition to fight another one?
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Witness wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:31 am I get your point, but I doubt that people tired of religion will suddenly embrace a new one. Or, to put it more dramatically, that Catholicism is a bulwark against Islam.

And do we really want to rely on one superstition to fight another one?
Not so much Roman Catholics switching to Islam as to non-reproduction, demographically favoring Islam.

Not necessarily bad for the remaining infidels provided they know their place, but it might be bad for whoever has to deal with the next generation of Germans.

I just don't see the Germans (or any large population) switching to rationality any time soon.

Think about it. No more beer and sausages. :cry:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Non-reproduction hasn't much to do with religion (even if the Pope thinks otherwise): in affluent countries people have less spawn. (And feel safer, so don't rely on Sky Daddy for protection. Correlation but not causation.)

So I still think that religions becoming irrelevant is a good thing, on general principles.

And sooner or later we'll have to tackle the (over)population problem. The sooner the better.
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

I hope you're right, but I think "religions becoming irrelevant" is very wishful thinking.

Witness

Post by Witness »

‘It’s like God has no sympathy’: Wine Country residents shaken by relentless onslaught of wildfires

“I’m sort of numb at the moment,” said Sonoma County Supervisor Susan Gorin as she drove away at about 1 a.m. from her evacuated home in the Oakmont community on Santa Rosa’s eastern edge. All of Oakmont’s 4,500 residents were ordered to leave.

Gorin has lived this nightmare before. Three years ago, the Nuns Fire consumed her Oakmont home, which is still being rebuilt while she lives in another home in the same neighborhood. While fleeing to a hotel in Novato, Gorin contemplated the horrendous prospect that the same fate could befall her once more.

“It seems surreal to me that we would be facing this again in some of the same areas that lost so many homes so traumatically just three short years ago,” Gorin said. “It’s like God has no sympathy, no empathy for Sonoma County.”

But Gorin blames the worsening fire threat not on a heavenly cause but rather a human one: climate change. Rising temperatures have dried California’s vegetation even more than normal and made a single spark far more likely to cause ruinous conflagrations like the ones unfolding now. More than 3.75 million acres have burned statewide since Jan. 1 — far more than any other year on record.
https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/cali ... 602558.php

God has no sympathy but it's just the climate. As Laplace said to Napoléon:
Napoleon: How s it that, although you say so much about the Universe, you say nothing about its Creator?
Laplace: No sire, I had no need of that hypothesis.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Atheists Sue Alabama for Making Them Swear an Oath to God in Order to Vote

If you want to register to vote in Alabama, you must read and sign a declaration that includes a religious reference:

Some people may just ignore that, but let’s be clear: That’s a religious reference that has no business on any kind of voter registration form, much less in a declaration every person needs to sign in order to gain a right they already have.

It’s not just innocuous either. If you sign that statement without actually agreeing with what it says, it’s perjury. That form even says that anyone who “falsely” signs the statement could be “convicted and imprisoned for up to five years.” That means Alabama atheists who don’t want to swear an oath to God are technically committing a crime by doing what they must in order to vote.

Last November, atheist Randal Cragun wanted to register to vote. But he couldn’t honestly sign that declaration. So he contacted the office of the Secretary of State and asked for advice on what to do. They told him he had no alternatives. Sign the form or don’t vote. He was also told, “If you cross out a portion [of the oath], the board of registrars in your county will reject the application and ask you to re-submit.”

The Freedom From Religion Foundation sent a letter to state officials on Cragun’s behalf, but they were told the same thing. There was no remedy. Unless lawmakers passed a bill to change the oath — good luck with that — nothing would change.

That’s why FFRF is now filing a federal lawsuit against the state on behalf of Cragun and three other atheists.
https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/202 ... r-to-vote/ for details of the suit.
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Prediction: The atheist group will win the case and the State of Alabama will not appeal.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Do Alabama courts still use the god reference for oaths in testimony?
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Rob Lister wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:17 am Do Alabama courts still use the god reference for oaths in testimony?
That's considered legally OK as long as there is an alternative for objectors.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Heel! Crazy Leftists in Claremont, CA Begin Literally Barking Like Dogs at Trump Supporters (VIDEO)

I posted this video in the shitpost thread.

But the Freeper thread I just read goes here ==> https://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bl ... 0678/posts

Synopsis: Serious speculation about demonic possession. Apparently barking like a dog is known to be a symptom. :lmao:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:05 pm Synopsis: Serious speculation about demonic possession. Apparently barking like a dog is known to be a symptom. :lmao:
Wildly exaggerated, you mad Arab. :roll:

The two posts quoted in full:
To: artichokegrower

Demonic Possession?
To: left that other site
Demonic Possession?

My first thought too.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Faith healing “school” becomes a COVID hotspot with 137 cases. It has ties to Donald Trump.

The man who runs the school was reportedly asked by Trump to "anoint every door in the White House" with olive oil.

Someone at the Bethel School of Supernatural Ministry (BSSM) wasn’t paying attention in class. The California “school” for faith healers is the latest COVID hotspot with 137 infections in the past month alone.

And, of course, the leadership of the ministry has ties to President Donald Trump’s coterie of evangelical Christian “advisors” and reportedly anointed “every door in the White House” with olive oil at Trump’s request.

“We have seen that a primary source of the transmission has occurred in off-campus living situations and social interactions outside of school hours that are common to student life,” a news release from the school said, reporting that there are currently 68 active cases.

Apparently students don’t get homework at the school.

Trump allegedly disguised the unaccredited school’s owner, Bill Johnson, as a janitor shortly after taking office and instructed him to anoint every door with olive oil in a bid to ward off demons according to the megachurch’s east coast head.

Trump has met with evangelical leaders and submitted to the anointing and “laying on of hands” ritual in photos widely circulated by the religious right.

1600 people have registered at the “school” this year to learn how to fleece gullible Christians out of their money.

Earlier this year, the school agreed to stop sending students to local hospitals to “cure” coronavirus. The church canceled missionary trips and told congregants who are feeling sick to stay home. They encouraged their over 9000 members to wash their hands frequently, too.

“We believe that wisdom, modern medicine, and faith are meant to work together, and express the value for each in the pursuit of continued health and healing,” church spokesperson Aaron Tesauro said.
https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2020/10/fai ... ald-trump/

We will take the allegations with a grain of sand, uh, I mean salt. :mrgreen:
Witness

Post by Witness »

The Satanic Temple Appeals Missouri Abortion Lawsuit to US Supreme Court

SALEM, MA — The Satanic Temple (TST) has appealed a member’s reproductive rights case to the US Supreme Court in response to the Eighth Circuit Court’s dismissal of TST’s claim that Missouri abortion laws violate TST’s religious beliefs.

When TST member Judy Doe sought to terminate her pregnancy in the state of Missouri, she was faced with legal requirements that contravene her religious beliefs and were not medically necessary. Missouri mandated that she receive literature which asserts that “the life of each human being begins at conception,” and that “[a]bortion will terminate the life of a separate, unique, living human being.” Doe was also required to endure a 72-hour waiting period, designed so that the state’s position on life, which contradicts a prior legal ruling by the Eighth Circuit, will be thoroughly considered before undergoing the procedure.

TST argued in their lawsuit that the mandated imposition of religious opinions upon Satanists seeking to terminate a pregnancy violates TST’s deeply-held beliefs of bodily autonomy and scientifically-reasoned personal choice.
https://www.apnnews.com/the-satanic-tem ... eme-court/ for the rest.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Pastor arrested for allegedly doing meth with parishioners and exorcising toddler

Police say drugs and pipe found in Lloyd Lasker Jr’s truck

An Arkansas pastor was arrested for allegedly doing meth with parishioners and conducting an exorcism on an emaciated toddler.

Lloyd Lasker Jr, who runs the House of Refuge and Deliverance Ministries church, was detained by police at a gas station allegedly in possession of methamphetamines and a pipe.

Police say they were earlier called to the church to do a welfare check and found a bruised and emaciated 21-month-old child and his mother.

The woman told them that the boy was “possessed by a demon” and the youngster was admitted to hospital with a brain bleed and malnourishment.

When police arrested 49-year-old Lasker in Mayflower, Arkansas, he reportedly admitted trying to carry out the exorcism but would not give officers any details.

Officers say he told them he did not know the drugs or pipe were in his truck but supposedly admitted taking the drug with parishioners and the boy’s mother.

When Lasker’s home was searched police found a shotgun, which as a convicted felon he was banned from possessing.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 27188.html
Witness

Post by Witness »

Ireland:
Catholic symbols in State schools to be phased out

Move aims to emphasise multidenominational ethos of hundreds of schools

State secondary schools are to phase out a range of Catholic influences such as mandatory graduation masses, the display of Catholic symbols only and visits from diocesan inspectors.

The new rules will apply to more than 200 secondary schools run by the State’s Education and Training Boards (ETBs) – formerly vocational schools – which are officially categorised as multidenominational.

However, an unpublished document on the core values of these schools has raised concern within the sector that Catholic practices are normalised in many State schools.

State secondary schools are to phase out a range of Catholic influences such as mandatory graduation masses, the display of Catholic symbols only and visits from diocesan inspectors.

The new rules will apply to more than 200 secondary schools run by the State’s Education and Training Boards (ETBs) – formerly vocational schools – which are officially categorised as multidenominational.

However, an unpublished document on the core values of these schools has raised concern within the sector that Catholic practices are normalised in many State schools.

The “framework for the recognition of religious belief/identities of all students in ETB schools” outlines steps schools should follow to bring them into line with a multidenominational ethos. They include that any religious symbols on display must echo the beliefs of the wider school community rather than one particular religion. It also means schools that symbolically represent religious celebrations should ensure balance, such as a school displaying a crib at Christmas but also Islamic symbols for Eid.

The framework states that ETB schools will not offer religious instruction or faith formation for a particular religion during the school day. Instead schools will offer the State curriculum on religious education in which students learn about a range of different religions and beliefs.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/educati ... -1.4378103
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Much funnier than the usual fundy funnies on the question. :)