With all the controversy about abortion, too little attention is paid to that *other* horror of female modernity.

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

With all the controversy about abortion, too little attention is paid to that *other* horror of female modernity.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:52 pm

Is it too late to undo what the Pill has done?
Angelus News (Roman Catholic outfit)
The unintended consequence of widespread birth control — on individuals, families and society — cannot be denied.
Loneliness has become an “epidemic” in the world today, says scholar Mary Eberstadt.

Eberstadt, author of the 2013 book “Adam and Eve After the Pill” (Ignatius, $13), believes this loneliness is in part a consequence of the spread of the birth control pill and artificial contraception in the West.

“Fifty years after the embrace of the pill — undeniably, because of the embrace of the pill — loneliness is spreading across the materially better-off countries of the planet,” she writes in a new article in the April edition of First Things magazine.

In a recent conversation with Angelus News, she expands on the themes of her new article, describing the “prophetic power” of “Humanae Vitae” (“On Human Life”), Pope Paul VI’s 1968 encyclical letter on birth control and married love, which turns 50 this summer.

Full interview at link. Yes a woman wrote this.

For extra giggles, here's the Freeper thread:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/3780504/posts
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Anaxagoras

Re: With all the controversy about abortion, too little attention is paid to that *other* horror of female modernity.

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:08 pm

Gallup has done some polling on the issue:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/257858/bir ... ssues.aspx

The author would be part of a very small minority today, assuming she's an American.

You don't get much more consensus than 92% agreement on much of anything these days. Probably can't get that many people to agree that the Earth is round.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Re: With all the controversy about abortion, too little attention is paid to that *other* horror of female modernity.

Post by Witness » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:27 am

"Loneliness epidemic"? What a convenient media/first-world Angst.

I wonder if the learned author would be happier in some village where everybody knows, and cares, about what everybody else does? :mrgreen:

For my part I'm just happy to be left alone.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:48 am

The older I get, the less loneliness seems to bother me. I rather prefer being alone more often than not.

The author is probably just the sort of person who would be happy in a village like that.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:40 pm

There is an old German saying: "Stadtluft macht frei." City air frees you.