Madonna is now Esther

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
Denise

Madonna is now Esther

Post by Denise »

From here :http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/0 ... index.html
The Catholic-bred singer/actress said in an ABC News "20/20" interview airing on Friday that her identification with the Biblical queen celebrated in the Jewish festival of Purim stems in part from her adherence to the study of Jewish mysticism known as Kabbalah.
Well, Prince became a symbol, now Madonna is going to be Esther. I hope Cher doesn't change her name too! I don't know a lot about kabbalah, but I do know that some consider it a cult. It must have quite the effect on her.
Saxlover

Post by Saxlover »

It's a form of witchcraft :shock: Or so my first search result came up with an occult site on the Kabbalah.
Kabbalah is an aspect of Jewish mysticism. It consists of a large body of speculation on the nature of divinity, the creation, the origin and fate of the soul, and the role of human beings. It consists also of meditative, devotional, mystical and magical practises which were taught only to a select few and for this reason Kabbalah is regarded as an esoteric offshoot of Judaism. Some aspects of Kabbalah have been studied and used by non-Jews for several hundred years
http://www.digital-brilliance.com/kab/faq.htm
Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

We have found a witch, may we burn her?
You'll all be mine, in the end.
Denise

Post by Denise »

She already did the burning thing in the "Like a Prayer" video.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Burn her anyways!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

But first, make her take her clothes off. She's still really hot.
"I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa."
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Oh, lovely, now she'll offend Judaism the way she offended Christianity.

"It's all about money, folks."
hgc

Post by hgc »

Saxlover wrote:It's a form of witchcraft :shock: Or so my first search result came up with an occult site on the Kabbalah.
Kabbalah is an aspect of Jewish mysticism. It consists of a large body of speculation on the nature of divinity, the creation, the origin and fate of the soul, and the role of human beings. It consists also of meditative, devotional, mystical and magical practises which were taught only to a select few and for this reason Kabbalah is regarded as an esoteric offshoot of Judaism. Some aspects of Kabbalah have been studied and used by non-Jews for several hundred years
http://www.digital-brilliance.com/kab/faq.htm
That's an interesting and reasonable description of Kabbalah. But I can simplify it for you. Kabbalah is a big numerology text. They love the magic of numbers.
Andonyx

Post by Andonyx »

hgc wrote:That's an interesting and reasonable description of Kabbalah. But I can simplify it for you. Kabbalah is a big numerology text. They love the magic of numbers.
So they're mathemagicians?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I had some comments on this in JREF. She wants to be taken seriously on this kabbalah trip. Sure. She was sincere about hinduism for one album, until she began to lose her audience, then she magically "reinvented" herself for the next time out. As long as the public buys into this garbage (and I'm talking about Madonna/Esther/Gladys/Bertha, whatever the hell she's calling herself, not kabbalah, which I admit I know nothing about), then she'll be into it. Once the fad fades, she'll try something else. You can bet on it.
If you can't laugh, what good are you?

I thought I won't submit this...but who cares...let it roll. -Pillory
dgartmaker

Kabballah Schmaballa

Post by dgartmaker »

Madonna is a fruit loop. :roll: 'nuff said
<we human beings share 98.8% of our DNA with chimpanzees, making them our closest living relatives in the primate family tree>
thaiboxerken

Post by thaiboxerken »

Is she going to go by Esther now, or will she still be marketing under the name of Madonna?

She certainly is weird, but HOT!!
Carlos is on my ignore list.
Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

and I'm talking about Madonna/Esther/Gladys/Bertha, whatever the hell she's calling herself
Ha ha ha! I hope she changes her name to Bertha next, that would be priceless! :D
You'll all be mine, in the end.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Not that I believe in any of it, but Kalifornia Kabbalah
is not "Jewish mysticism".

It is the same old Kalifornia mush with a slice of lox on it.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
tamiO

Post by tamiO »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Not that I believe in any of it, but Kalifornia Kabbalah

Do you think that it might be a slight expression of something gone awry in the mental department to deeply identify with a character of spiritual distinction that has long since died?

In new age, people channel these dead people and even people who may not be people, but entities who have never experienced third dimensional physical existance and would resemble geometry to our limited visual reference library.

I have a grandmother-in-law whose real name is Esther. She mixes a little Bible in her spiritual fanatasy and relates to the Esther in the Bible. It's not so much her, as it is her little group of followers. They aren't the cult of Esther, don't get me wrong. That branch of the family enables everyone in their little group of spiritual seekers to believe irrational things.

I was going to look up the references to Esther in the Bible and learn what fans of Esther are relating to and wanting to emulate. It's fine to want to model yourself after a great example of an ideal to you, but when you start identifying a bit too much and get the idea that there is some kind of Divine Purpose to it all and you are somehow an Important Player in Divine Plans being carried out now.....well. Isn't that special.
rwald

Post by rwald »

The Book of Esther (from sacred-texts.com)

Note that this is the Passover story. I'm way too lazy to summarize it now; someone else may do so later.
For the record, I don't actually know anything. Not even this.

Ever wondered what being a Caltech undergrad was like?
[url=http://caltizzle.caltech.edu]caltizzle.caltech.edu[/url]
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

tamiO wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:Not that I believe in any of it, but Kalifornia Kabbalah

Do you think that it might be a slight expression of something
gone awry in the mental department to deeply identify with a
character of spiritual distinction that has long since died?

In new age, people channel these dead people and even people
who may not be people...
Hi there TamiO. Shouldn't you attach your famous eyes, so
we all know it's really you?

Channellers channel non-existent people. Miz Ciaccone is
channelling non-existent religions.

The "material girl" is far too spiritual for my tastes.

She is however alleged to be hot. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Dr Matt had the following to say on Esther on the JREF forum:

"Historically, "Esther" aka Ishtar aka Astarte aka Aphrodite was a fertility goddess, and the Feast of Ishtar and Marduk was a rite marked with gambling (Heb: Purim = Lots as in lottery tickets), drinking, singing, and wild sex. When rabbinical efforts to suppress Feast of Ishtar were unsuccessful, the rabbis coopted it, penning a book called "Esther" with a chaste relationship with Marduk who is presented as Esther's father, an exotic setting (the court of the fictional leader Akhusverus in Persia), and a storyline which crossed Moses In Egypt with contemporaneous experience under the Helenic empires.

But getting back to roots, Esther was a myth of divine sexuality. Sorta an odd name for a disgusting old aunt, seen in that light, but who knows!"

Copyright DrMatt

So there you go.
Loon

Post by Loon »

rwald wrote:The Book of Esther (from sacred-texts.com)

Note that this is the Passover story. I'm way too lazy to summarize it now; someone else may do so later.
FTR, it's actually the story of Purim.

I'd not heard the bit that from Dr. Matt (via Beancounter). Interesting stuff.
I guess there he chose to err on the side of more votes. -[size=75]Grammatron[/size]