Beforelife

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
joyrex

Beforelife

Post by joyrex »

Considering afterlife from oppisite point of view, what if you hadn't existed in the first place? Would 'you' be someone else? Would the observer that now is you, have some one else's POV? Could it be otherwise and if so, how?

I'm afraid this will lead to a dead end even before it starts.
ceo_esq

Post by ceo_esq »

The "afterlife vs. beforelife" question reminds me of the opening paragraph of Vladimir Nabokov's autobiography Speak, Memory:
The cradle rocks above an abyss, and common sense tells us that our existence is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness. Although the two are identical twins, man, as a rule, views the prenatal abyss with more calm than the one he is heading for (at some forty-five hundred heartbeats an hour).
LostAngeles

Re: Beforelife

Post by LostAngeles »

joyrex wrote:Considering afterlife from oppisite point of view, what if you hadn't existed in the first place? Would 'you' be someone else? Would the observer that now is you, have some one else's POV? Could it be otherwise and if so, how?

I've considered that myself.

It does, in fact, lead to a dead end. :D
Sorgoth

Post by Sorgoth »

The 'self' is illusory...we're two battling brain halves, which are each composed of lots of neurons and stuff, which themselves are complex interactions of molecules, so on and so forth. It's a pointless question, because there is no "I" to exist anywhere else. What we consider self is the present form of whatever your physical boundaries are. Anything else isn't you.
joyrex

Post by joyrex »

Sorgoth wrote:The 'self' is illusory...we're two battling brain halves, which are each composed of lots of neurons and stuff, which themselves are complex interactions of molecules, so on and so forth. It's a pointless question, because there is no "I" to exist anywhere else. What we consider self is the present form of whatever your physical boundaries are. Anything else isn't you.
When I present my philosophical speculations about what is outside our individual lives from the individual POV, this point is often raised. Still I fail to see how it is relevant - I'm precisely talking about the illusion that we experience, I'm just calling it with names we're accustomed to. I don't think it's entirely pointless subject; many people are afraid of death and don't know what comes after it. I claim my "model " to be one answer.

It's just often hard to put into words. I could say we're all observers, observing our illusion of self. This observing doesn't stop at death because the world is still here - humans are still here. The POV just shifts to another newborn who will slowly develop consciousness and become another observer. Though putting it this way might sound supernatural to some.
Beanbag

Post by Beanbag »

I have no memories of existance before I was born. Hell, the earliest cogent memories I have are from, maybe, three or four years old. I draw a great deal of comfort from this fact. To me, the nonexistance before birth is like the nonexistance after death. No bad memories of the former implies no bad experiences in the latter. If I remember correctly, this is called the Epicurean philosophy (which has nothing to do with the preparation of foods).

Regards
Beanbag
I fear no gods, because they don't exist, but I fear the fool that truly Believes.

I'm voting Romney this time around, because I've never settled for the lesser of two evils.
Kilted_Canuck

Post by Kilted_Canuck »

I've pondered this issue quite a bit (for no reason apparently....it seems my subconcious just likes to screw itself over by thinking about the unknowable).

I assume christians think that there's a pool of souls or something and Big Daddy sends them down to earth in each baby, but that's just my interpretation of their beliefs.
joyrex

Post by joyrex »

Beanbag wrote:I have no memories of existance before I was born. Hell, the earliest cogent memories I have are from, maybe, three or four years old. I draw a great deal of comfort from this fact. To me, the nonexistance before birth is like the nonexistance after death. No bad memories of the former implies no bad experiences in the latter. If I remember correctly, this is called the Epicurean philosophy (which has nothing to do with the preparation of foods).

Regards
Beanbag
How could one have memories from "previous lives"? I think that's absurd. We, as the current individuals that we are, didn't exist before our lives nor will we exist afterwards This isn't about supernatural phenomena.
joyrex

Post by joyrex »

Kilted_Canuck wrote:I've pondered this issue quite a bit (for no reason apparently....it seems my subconcious just likes to screw itself over by thinking about the unknowable).

I assume christians think that there's a pool of souls or something and Big Daddy sends them down to earth in each baby, but that's just my interpretation of their beliefs.
I think there's a good reason for thinking about it; I wouldn't see it impossible if an interpretation to the issue at hand would mean the whole "meaning" of life to someone.

Beliefs are quite irrelevant; this is a thing that needs to be figured out - I think it's going to reveal us more reasons evolution has made us conscious.
Beanbag

Post by Beanbag »

joyrex wrote:How could one have memories from "previous lives"? I think that's absurd. We, as the current individuals that we are, didn't exist before our lives nor will we exist afterwards This isn't about supernatural phenomena.
My point exactly. I deal with what I know from personal experience.

Regards;
Beanbag
I fear no gods, because they don't exist, but I fear the fool that truly Believes.

I'm voting Romney this time around, because I've never settled for the lesser of two evils.
xouper

Post by xouper »

joyrex wrote:... We, as the current individuals that we are, didn't exist before our lives nor will we exist afterwards ...
May I ask, what do you mean by that?
xouper

Post by xouper »

Beanbag wrote:I deal with what I know from personal experience.
Some people who believe in the efficacy of homeopathy say the same thing.
gentlehorse

Post by gentlehorse »

I feel as thouogh I'm missing the point of the thread, but I'll answer as best I can.
joyrex wrote:Considering afterlife from oppisite point of view, what if you hadn't existed in the first place?
Then I wouldn't exist. The universe would have to hum along without me, unless I am indeed the progenitor solipsist as I've suspected all along. :wink:
Would 'you' be someone else?
No. Consciousness would exist, but since I never existed in the first place, I couldn't very well be someone else.
Would the observer that now is you, have some one else's POV? Could it be otherwise and if so, how?

The observer that is me now would not exist if I hadn't existed in the first place. If the observer "me" had someone else's POV, then it wouldn't be the observer "me". It would be the observer "someone else". Could it be otherwise? It seems as though you might be asking if it's possible to be me and not-me at the same time. I'd have to say no.
It seems so. If I entirely missed the point of your thread, I apologize.
[size=75]"How can the third-person requirements of the scientific method be reconciled with the first-person nature of consciousness?" Win

"Oh Holy gravity,
the mother of all powers,
what you do to us,
the children of the stars" pillory[/size]
joyrex

Post by joyrex »

xouper wrote:
joyrex wrote:... We, as the current individuals that we are, didn't exist before our lives nor will we exist afterwards ...
I mean the personal boundaries of our lives, birth & death.
xouper

Post by xouper »

joyrex wrote:
xouper wrote:
I mean the personal boundaries of our lives, birth & death.
Well, dang, I didn't ask my question clearly enough. You clarified the part of your comment that didn't need clarification. My fault. Let me try again.

I meant to ask, what exactly is it you are claiming does not exist before or after? I am not familiar enough with your position on the matter to make any assumptions what you mean.
joyrex

Post by joyrex »

No. Consciousness would exist, but since I never existed in the first place, I couldn't very well be someone else.
Consciousness is the key in my pondering. I'm suggesting that instead of your consciousness there would be another; one before birth and one after death.
The observer that is me now would not exist if I hadn't existed in the first place. If the observer "me" had someone else's POV, then it wouldn't be the observer "me". It would be the observer "someone else". Could it be otherwise? It seems as though you might be asking if it's possible to be me and not-me at the same time. I'd have to say no.
It's the words that are hard to choose.. by "observer" I mean the "act of observing" - that is a common factor for all humans. So there would be someone else observing instead of you, hadn't you been born.
joyrex

Post by joyrex »

xouper wrote:I meant to ask, what exactly is it you are claiming does not exist before or after? I am not familiar enough with your position on the matter to make any assumptions what you mean.
:D
It is us that don't exist before or after, but consciousness does, the denominator that we all share.
xouper

Post by xouper »

joyrex wrote:
xouper wrote:I meant to ask, what exactly is it you are claiming does not exist before or after? I am not familiar enough with your position on the matter to make any assumptions what you mean.
:D
It is us that don't exist before or after, but consciousness does, the denominator that we all share.
Yer not being very helpful. But thanks anyway.
Beanbag

Post by Beanbag »

xouper wrote:
Beanbag wrote:I deal with what I know from personal experience.
Some people who believe in the efficacy of homeopathy say the same thing.
I have a tag I wear around my neck that is engraved with three very important words: DO NOT RESUSCITATE. It pretty much never leaves my posession. I died once. It really wasn't that bad. What hurt like hell was getting pulled back. I don't mind dying once more, but I sure as hell don't want to get pulled back by some well-intentioned idiot.

No further comment is available from me on the subject. It's like sex -- you can describe the sensation all you want, but you have to actually have the experience to understand.

Regards;
Beanbag