Millennial Saints

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Millennial Saints

Post by Pyrrho »

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/12/92304005 ... nial-saint
A teenage computer gamer and programmer from Italy who devoted the final years of his life to the church until his death in 2006 was beatified over the weekend, making him the first millennial to be put on the path to Catholic sainthood.

A portrait of Carlo Acutis, who died of leukemia at age 15, was unveiled at the beatification ceremony at the Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi. In it, he is wearing a red polo shirt and his curly hair is ringed by a faint halo of light.

Acutis has been called the "patron saint of the Internet." He created a website to catalog miracles and managed sites for local Catholic organizations.
https://carloacutis-en.org/
Last edited by Pyrrho on Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Millennial Saints

Post by sparks »

Jeebus stupid fucking Christ.

There will never be an end to this bullshit.

We are doomed.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

'Programme'.

Indeed.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Much less impressive origin story than Joan of Arc. :p
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

There we go, much better.
About that stereo
Witness

Post by Witness »

Trying to lure the kiddos… You too can become a Saint™.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Aren't Saints supposed to perform miracles?

I know that they have ways of fudging that requirement. Someone will claim that a witch turned them into a newt, and they prayed to him for help and--miraculously!--they were no longer a newt.
Acutis' first miracle was proclaimed in 2013 when the Vatican says he interceded from heaven to save the life of a Brazilian who was suffering from a rare pancreatic disease.
Yes, of course. Must have been heavenly intercession. No other possible explanation.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

I love the façade of investigation of said miracles.

Harder to get away with it though.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Anaxagoras wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:18 am Aren't Saints supposed to perform miracles?

I know that they have ways of fudging that requirement. Someone will claim that a witch turned them into a newt, and they prayed to him for help and--miraculously!--they were no longer a newt.
Acutis' first miracle was proclaimed in 2013 when the Vatican says he interceded from heaven to save the life of a Brazilian who was suffering from a rare pancreatic disease.
Yes, of course. Must have been heavenly intercession. No other possible explanation.
Fuck me! A newt that can type!
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Anaxagoras wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:18 am Aren't Saints supposed to perform miracles?
An old woman saying she's healed while praying at his tomb will do the trick, supposing he did no known miracles in his earthly life.

BTW, already noted that Isidore of Seville is the patron saint of the internet (see quote below).

Perhaps the new guy can be the patron saint of the world wide web more specifically?
You wouldn't pray o him to heal a bad connection, or a problem configuring your email client, but he's the perfect character to pray for strength in the face of shitposting.

viewtopic.php?p=970822#p970822
Abdul Alhazred wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:09 am A prayer before connecting to the internet
http://wdtprs.com/blog/a-prayer-before- ... -internet/

This is the blog of a Roman Catholic priest, and yes he is totally fucking serious.

So serious that he wrote it in Latin and translated it or had it translated into a whole mess of languages.

The linked post has a long preface of how he came to write the prayer and how popular it became.

Here it is in English.
A prayer before logging onto the internet:

Almighty and eternal God, who created us in Thine image and bade us to seek after all that is good, true and beautiful, especially in the divine person of Thine Only-begotten Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, grant, we beseech Thee, that, through the intercession of Saint Isidore, Bishop and Doctor, during our journeys through the internet we will direct our hands and eyes only to that which is pleasing to Thee and treat with charity and patience all those souls whom we encounter. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Last edited by Abdul Alhazred on Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

duplicate deleted
Last edited by Abdul Alhazred on Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Anaxagoras wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:18 am Yes, of course. Must have been heavenly intercession. No other possible explanation.
Funny thing about that.

They do examine the evidence (according to their own rules) and sometimes decide it was something you or I would consider a rational explanation. This frequently happens with alleged apparitions of the Blessed Virgin (which are popping up all the time).

Our Lady of Bayside is an example of that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veronica_ ... pparitions