Skepticism and Deism - Are they compatable at some level?

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
User avatar
DanishDynamite
Posts: 2608
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:58 pm
Location: Copenhagen

Post by DanishDynamite »

hammegk wrote:
DanishDynamite wrote: .... Get back to me when you've understood the solipstic point of view.
Who would bother since you obviously have no understanding of the concept? There is nothing that can be negated by solipsism. The best we can do is assume both of us think.
"There is nothing that can be negated by solipsism".

QED.
User avatar
DanishDynamite
Posts: 2608
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:58 pm
Location: Copenhagen

Post by DanishDynamite »

hammegk wrote:There is nothing that can be negated by solipsism.
Precisely.
User avatar
hammegk
Posts: 15134
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:16 pm
Title: Curmudgeon
Location: Hither, sometimes Yon

Post by hammegk »

DanishDynamite wrote:
hammegk wrote:There is nothing that can be negated by solipsism.
Precisely.
Er, yas, including itself. Now what?
The most important things in life–beauty, grace, redemption, compassion, loyalty, love–are beyond the reach of reason. Which doesn’t make them any less real. Stay far back: I'm allergic to Stupid.

The simple rule, the greatest plan, that he should keep who has the power, and he should take who can.

The only enemies of guns: rust ... and politicians.

Philanthropist (n.) - Someone who spends his own money to advance his version of Utopia. Socialist (n.) - Someone who spends your money to advance his version of Utopia.

“Jesus loves the little cheeses, all the cheeses of the world. Swiss and Cheddar, stinky, too. If He loved them, so should you. Jesus loves the little cheeses of the world.”

I'm right 98% of the time; who cares about the other 3%?
User avatar
Skeeve
Posts: 12735
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:35 am

Post by Skeeve »

DanishDynamite wrote:No. Nothing could be probed or investigated in a solipstic universe.
Why not? What keeps the great dreamer from having an internally consistant dream, including all of physics, chemistry, and such?

Nothing. If physics, chemistry, etc, are included, you can probe and/or investigate them without any difficulty.
Nothing can be derived in a solipstic universe. Look up the meaning, for christ's sake.
Rather than cry ignorance, why don't you look up the meaning yourself. Assuming, for the sake of argument, the ultimate solipcistic universe, where we're all figments, autonomous ones, of Hammegk's mind, wherein he impliments physics, etc, as they presently are, as far as our perceptions can detect, why could we not derive that implimentation, to the limits of our perception.
Of course it could.
I'm afraid it couldn't. Get back to me when you've understood the solipstic point of view.
I don't think you understand what solipcism is.
Then Skank Of America could start in...
User avatar
hammegk
Posts: 15134
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:16 pm
Title: Curmudgeon
Location: Hither, sometimes Yon

Post by hammegk »

Skeeve wrote: .... we're all figments, autonomous ones, of Hammegk's mind, ...
Say what?

Is the concept of Franko Figments known to you? Or do you search for Elephants? :P
The most important things in life–beauty, grace, redemption, compassion, loyalty, love–are beyond the reach of reason. Which doesn’t make them any less real. Stay far back: I'm allergic to Stupid.

The simple rule, the greatest plan, that he should keep who has the power, and he should take who can.

The only enemies of guns: rust ... and politicians.

Philanthropist (n.) - Someone who spends his own money to advance his version of Utopia. Socialist (n.) - Someone who spends your money to advance his version of Utopia.

“Jesus loves the little cheeses, all the cheeses of the world. Swiss and Cheddar, stinky, too. If He loved them, so should you. Jesus loves the little cheeses of the world.”

I'm right 98% of the time; who cares about the other 3%?
User avatar
Skeeve
Posts: 12735
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:35 am

Post by Skeeve »

hammegk wrote:
Skeeve wrote: .... we're all figments, autonomous ones, of Hammegk's mind, ...
Say what?

Is the concept of Franko Figments known to you? Or do you search for Elephants? :P
??

What's a Franko Figment? What about an elephant? Is there an invisible pink elephant like the invisible pink unicorn?

Sorry, you lost me there.
Then Skank Of America could start in...
User avatar
Sundog
Posts: 2576
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:27 pm

Post by Sundog »

Skeeve wrote: Sorry, you lost me there.
Oh, you youngsters. :lol:
User avatar
Skeeve
Posts: 12735
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:35 am

Post by Skeeve »

Sundog wrote:
Skeeve wrote: Sorry, you lost me there.
Oh, you youngsters. :lol:
Oh, I wish I was young, but what are you talking about, anyhow?
Then Skank Of America could start in...
User avatar
hammegk
Posts: 15134
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:16 pm
Title: Curmudgeon
Location: Hither, sometimes Yon

Post by hammegk »

Just a passing reference to a couple of ancient-history TOP posters who would chat about stuff like solipsism.
The most important things in life–beauty, grace, redemption, compassion, loyalty, love–are beyond the reach of reason. Which doesn’t make them any less real. Stay far back: I'm allergic to Stupid.

The simple rule, the greatest plan, that he should keep who has the power, and he should take who can.

The only enemies of guns: rust ... and politicians.

Philanthropist (n.) - Someone who spends his own money to advance his version of Utopia. Socialist (n.) - Someone who spends your money to advance his version of Utopia.

“Jesus loves the little cheeses, all the cheeses of the world. Swiss and Cheddar, stinky, too. If He loved them, so should you. Jesus loves the little cheeses of the world.”

I'm right 98% of the time; who cares about the other 3%?
User avatar
Sundog
Posts: 2576
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:27 pm

Post by Sundog »

hammegk wrote:Just a passing reference to a couple of ancient-history TOP posters who would chat about stuff like solipsism.
Who do solipsists chat with? Other solipsists?

These are very deep waters.
User avatar
hammegk
Posts: 15134
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:16 pm
Title: Curmudgeon
Location: Hither, sometimes Yon

Post by hammegk »

Do you get in arguments when you talk to yourself? :D
The most important things in life–beauty, grace, redemption, compassion, loyalty, love–are beyond the reach of reason. Which doesn’t make them any less real. Stay far back: I'm allergic to Stupid.

The simple rule, the greatest plan, that he should keep who has the power, and he should take who can.

The only enemies of guns: rust ... and politicians.

Philanthropist (n.) - Someone who spends his own money to advance his version of Utopia. Socialist (n.) - Someone who spends your money to advance his version of Utopia.

“Jesus loves the little cheeses, all the cheeses of the world. Swiss and Cheddar, stinky, too. If He loved them, so should you. Jesus loves the little cheeses of the world.”

I'm right 98% of the time; who cares about the other 3%?
User avatar
Skeeve
Posts: 12735
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:35 am

Post by Skeeve »

hammegk wrote:Just a passing reference to a couple of ancient-history TOP posters who would chat about stuff like solipsism.
Oh.

Well, I have to admit that I also think discussions of extreme solipcism are useless except as mental exercise, but the fact that solipcism is in fact useless does not allow DD to simply throw it away like he'd like to.
Then Skank Of America could start in...
User avatar
Skeeve
Posts: 12735
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:35 am

Post by Skeeve »

hammegk wrote:Do you get in arguments when you talk to yourself? :D
No!
Then Skank Of America could start in...
User avatar
Skeeve
Posts: 12735
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:35 am

Post by Skeeve »

Skeeve wrote:
hammegk wrote:Do you get in arguments when you talk to yourself? :D
No!
Yes!
Then Skank Of America could start in...
User avatar
hammegk
Posts: 15134
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:16 pm
Title: Curmudgeon
Location: Hither, sometimes Yon

Post by hammegk »

At least you always win your argument.

Would The Solipsist care? :?
The most important things in life–beauty, grace, redemption, compassion, loyalty, love–are beyond the reach of reason. Which doesn’t make them any less real. Stay far back: I'm allergic to Stupid.

The simple rule, the greatest plan, that he should keep who has the power, and he should take who can.

The only enemies of guns: rust ... and politicians.

Philanthropist (n.) - Someone who spends his own money to advance his version of Utopia. Socialist (n.) - Someone who spends your money to advance his version of Utopia.

“Jesus loves the little cheeses, all the cheeses of the world. Swiss and Cheddar, stinky, too. If He loved them, so should you. Jesus loves the little cheeses of the world.”

I'm right 98% of the time; who cares about the other 3%?
User avatar
Skeeve
Posts: 12735
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:35 am

Post by Skeeve »

hammegk wrote:At least you always win your argument.

Would The Solipsist care? :?
I don't know, you tell me :D
Then Skank Of America could start in...
User avatar
hammegk
Posts: 15134
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:16 pm
Title: Curmudgeon
Location: Hither, sometimes Yon

Post by hammegk »

I state that I do not accept the possibility I'm The Solipsist, and in fact deny it at 100% certainty (if I'm wrong about that, who cares? :D ).

As you have avered to be a materialist, you should ask yourself. :wink:
The most important things in life–beauty, grace, redemption, compassion, loyalty, love–are beyond the reach of reason. Which doesn’t make them any less real. Stay far back: I'm allergic to Stupid.

The simple rule, the greatest plan, that he should keep who has the power, and he should take who can.

The only enemies of guns: rust ... and politicians.

Philanthropist (n.) - Someone who spends his own money to advance his version of Utopia. Socialist (n.) - Someone who spends your money to advance his version of Utopia.

“Jesus loves the little cheeses, all the cheeses of the world. Swiss and Cheddar, stinky, too. If He loved them, so should you. Jesus loves the little cheeses of the world.”

I'm right 98% of the time; who cares about the other 3%?
User avatar
Pólux
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:02 pm

Post by Pólux »

Martin Gardner is a theist. If I'm not mistaken a deist is somebody who claims there's (logical) proof for God. OK, it's not Gardner's case, he admits there is no proof whatsoever, but he simply believes and that's pure faith. And he knows he could be wrong.
With this example I would say that at least skepticism is not incompatible with theism.
User avatar
Skeeve
Posts: 12735
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:35 am

Post by Skeeve »

hammegk wrote:I state that I do not accept the possibility I'm The Solipsist, and in fact deny it at 100% certainty (if I'm wrong about that, who cares? :D ).

As you have avered to be a materialist, you should ask yourself. :wink:
Naah. You're just a bunch of wetware pretending to be a self-contradicting solipicst. :D
Then Skank Of America could start in...
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

SNARF!