A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
Stimpson J. Cat

Post by Stimpson J. Cat »

1. b
2. c
3. a or b. Not enough information is provided to choose.
4. c
5. b
6. b
7. c
8. None of the above
9. a
10. c or d. I don't know what the intended difference between "likely" and "probable" is.
11. None of the above.

Not a very well constructed set of questions, if you ask me.
Of course this is extremely misleading. Idealists' recognise science for what it is and its legitimate scope. In this context idealism is actually consonant with science; unlike naturalism and materialism.
An awful strong assertion, coming from somebody who doesn't actually know anything about science, or even understand what science is. :roll:

Dr. Stupid
A poke in the eye makes Baby Jesus cry.

MRC_Hans

Re: A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Post by MRC_Hans »

OK, I'll bite and answer without reading subsequent posts. Notr that I give a damn what 'ism II wants to pin on me, but there might be a sensible debate in this.

(1) b

(2) c

(3) b

(4) c

(5) b

(6) b

(7) c

(8) d

(9) a

(10) d

(11) c

Some of the questions are a bit limited in the options.

Hans
[i]Fly pretty, anyone can fly safe...[/i]

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

slight derail...

why does that sunglasses smiley keep showing up for someone's number 8? If you hit quote, the post looks normal.

weird. Paranormal maybe??????????????
"I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa."

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Hexxenhammer wrote:slight derail...

why does that sunglasses smiley keep showing up for someone's number 8? If you hit quote, the post looks normal.

because an 8 followed by a ) makes a 8) unless you intentionally disable smilies in your post. When you quote it breaks it back up, just like ay other smily symbol

LostAngeles

Post by LostAngeles »

Interesting Ian wrote: (1) Telepathy would occur when one person could receive another person's thoughts, without speech or electronics. On present evidence is telepathy (a) impossible, <b>(b.) unlikely</b>, (c) possible, or (d) actual?

(2) Suppose that there were firm evidence of telepathy. Would this mean that physics ought to be (a) abandoned, (b) supplemented with a very different discipline, <b>(c) expanded</b>, (d) left as it is?

(3) Suppose there were statistical evidence that the positions of the planets influence human fate. Would this be because of (a) an accident, <b>(b) unknown causal processes</b>, (c) something beyond our understanding, or (d) the truth of astrology?

(4) That human beings can survive death is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) unlikely, <b>(d) impossible</b>.

(5) That today's physics may someday be seen as wildly inaccurate myth is (a) impossible, (b) unlikely, <b>(c) possible</b>, (d) probable.

(6) Where are rainbows: (a) in the sky, (b) in people's minds, <b>(c) in raindrops</b>, (d) nowhere?

(7) Numbers are (a) fictions, (b) marks on paper, <b>(c) ideas in our minds</b>, (d) objects independent of us.

(8) Compare democracy (in politics) and energy (in science): <b>(a) energy and democracy are both just concepts we use to describe our experiences</b>; (b) both energy and democracy are dubious concepts; (c) energy is a useful concept and democracy a dubious one; (d) energy is real and democracy is just an idea.

(9) A factor in many diseases is 'stress', which in part depends on a person's experiences and emotions. The suggestion that stress might one day be understood in purely physical terms is (a) likely, <b>(b) possible</b>, (c) improbable, (d) impossible.

(10) Brain chemistry seems to be connected with some severe mental disorders. The possibility that a person's personality might be completely explicable in terms of their brain chemistry is (a) crazy, (b) far-fetched, (c) likely, <b>(d) probable</b>.

(11) People who believe that they are biological organisms governed by biological principles are likely to treat other people in a way that is (a) more understanding than, (b) different from, <b>(c) the same as</b>, (d) less understanding than those who believe that humans are exceptions to the principles governing other animals behaviour.
My answers bolded.

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

Nyarlathotep wrote:

because an 8 followed by a ) makes a 8) unless you intentionally disable smilies in your post. When you quote it breaks it back up, just like ay other smily symbol
So it is paranormal. Hmmmm....

DanishDynamite

Post by DanishDynamite »

Oh, goodie. An 11-question questionaire that determines my view of the Universe:

1. b
2. c
3. a
4. d
5. b
6. a
7. c
8. d
9. b
10. d
11. c

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Hexxenhammer wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:

Well, all of the smilies can bemade by inserting certain symbols, so a : followed by a ( makes a :( and a : followed by a D makes a :D and so on.

Hadn't you noticed that before?

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Hexxenhammer wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:

Well, all of the smilies can bemade by inserting certain symbols, so a : followed by a ( makes a :( and a : followed by a D makes a :D and so on.

Hadn't you noticed that before?
Uhh........no.

Yahweh

Post by Yahweh »

Interesting Ian wrote:The quiz is from the book Philosophy in Practice by Adam Morton.

(1) Telepathy would occur when one person could receive another person's thoughts, without speech or electronics. On present evidence is telepathy (a) impossible, (b.) unlikely, (c) possible, or (d) actual?

That question is too generally phrased. I had to choose "actual" because I recognize shapes, colors, bodylanguage, postcards, and many other forms of communication without speech or electronics.

(2) Suppose that there were firm evidence of telepathy. Would this mean that physics ought to be (a) abandoned, (b) supplemented with a very different discipline, (c) expanded, (d) left as it is?

(3) Suppose there were statistical evidence that the positions of the planets influence human fate. Would this be because of (a) an accident, (b) unknown causal processes, (c) something beyond our understanding, or (d) the truth of astrology?

Supersticion. (Not an unknown causal process, but the answer I consider to be "the least far off from the others".)

(4) That human beings can survive death is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) unlikely, (d) impossible.

(5) That today's physics may someday be seen as wildly inaccurate myth is (a) impossible, (b) unlikely, (c) possible, (d) probable.

(6) Where are rainbows: (a) in the sky, (b) in people's minds, (c) in raindrops, (d) nowhere?

(7) Numbers are (a) fictions, (b) marks on paper, (c) ideas in our minds, (d) objects independent of us.

(8) Compare democracy (in politics) and energy (in science): (a) energy and democracy are both just concepts we use to describe our experiences; (b) both energy and democracy are dubious concepts; (c) energy is a useful concept and democracy a dubious one; (d) energy is real and democracy is just an idea.

My official answer is (e) Energy and democracy are real

(9) A factor in many diseases is 'stress', which in part depends on a person's experiences and emotions. The suggestion that stress might one day be understood in purely physical terms is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) improbable, (d) impossible.

(10) Brain chemistry seems to be connected with some severe mental disorders. The possibility that a person's personality might be completely explicable in terms of their brain chemistry is (a) crazy, (b) far-fetched, (c) likely, (d) probable.

(11) People who believe that they are biological organisms governed by biological principles are likely to treat other people in a way that is (a) more understanding than, (b) different from, (c) the same as, (d) less understanding than those who believe that humans are exceptions to the principles governing other animals behaviour.
My answers are in bold, my comments are in green.

The options were very limited, and the questions were poorly constructed.
Jesus, Buffy! [url=http://www.fstdt.com]Fundies Say the Darndest Things![/url]

Sorgoth

Post by Sorgoth »

*Shrug* I answered the nearest to what I thought:

1. b
2. c
3. b
4. c
5. c
6. c
7. c
8. a
9. a
10. d
11. c

Hmm...lots of cs :p

LostAngeles

Post by LostAngeles »

Yahweh wrote:
Interesting Ian wrote:The quiz is from the book Philosophy in Practice by Adam Morton.

(1) Telepathy would occur when one person could receive another person's thoughts, without speech or electronics. On present evidence is telepathy (a) impossible, (b.) unlikely, (c) possible, or (d) actual?

That question is too generally phrased. I had to choose "actual" because I recognize shapes, colors, bodylanguage, postcards, and many other forms of communication without speech or electronics.

(2) Suppose that there were firm evidence of telepathy. Would this mean that physics ought to be (a) abandoned, (b) supplemented with a very different discipline, (c) expanded, (d) left as it is?

(3) Suppose there were statistical evidence that the positions of the planets influence human fate. Would this be because of (a) an accident, (b) unknown causal processes, (c) something beyond our understanding, or (d) the truth of astrology?

Supersticion. (Not an unknown causal process, but the answer I consider to be "the least far off from the others".)

(4) That human beings can survive death is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) unlikely, (d) impossible.

(5) That today's physics may someday be seen as wildly inaccurate myth is (a) impossible, (b) unlikely, (c) possible, (d) probable.

(6) Where are rainbows: (a) in the sky, (b) in people's minds, (c) in raindrops, (d) nowhere?

(7) Numbers are (a) fictions, (b) marks on paper, (c) ideas in our minds, (d) objects independent of us.

(8) Compare democracy (in politics) and energy (in science): (a) energy and democracy are both just concepts we use to describe our experiences; (b) both energy and democracy are dubious concepts; (c) energy is a useful concept and democracy a dubious one; (d) energy is real and democracy is just an idea.

My official answer is (e) Energy and democracy are real

(9) A factor in many diseases is 'stress', which in part depends on a person's experiences and emotions. The suggestion that stress might one day be understood in purely physical terms is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) improbable, (d) impossible.

(10) Brain chemistry seems to be connected with some severe mental disorders. The possibility that a person's personality might be completely explicable in terms of their brain chemistry is (a) crazy, (b) far-fetched, (c) likely, (d) probable.

(11) People who believe that they are biological organisms governed by biological principles are likely to treat other people in a way that is (a) more understanding than, (b) different from, (c) the same as, (d) less understanding than those who believe that humans are exceptions to the principles governing other animals behaviour.
My answers are in bold, my comments are in green.

The options were very limited, and the questions were poorly constructed.
I agree. They all seemed a tad off, but most especially the one about "surviving death." I grasp that it's asking about an afterlife, but that's still a contradiction, there.

Interesting Ian

Post by Interesting Ian »

zer0vector wrote:1.b
2.c
3.b
4.c
5.c
6.c
7.c
8.d
9.b
10.c
11.a
Naturalist. Almost materialist. Same score as Hex and co.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

LostAngeles wrote:
I agree. They all seemed a tad off, but most especially the one about "surviving death." I grasp that it's asking about an afterlife, but that's still a contradiction, there.
This is what I wrote about the death question:
For example, (4) That human beings can survive death... does that mean life after death? (I presume that's it), nde, surviving a car crash that kills someone else, etc.
And this is II's response:
It means what it says. Is it possible we survive the death of our bodies. I don't know how straightforward the questions need to be before people understand them.
(See above, this thread.)
If you can't laugh, what good are you?

I thought I won't submit this...but who cares...let it roll. -Pillory

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Interesting Ian wrote:
Naturalist. Almost materialist. Same score as Hex and co.
So what is this telling you Ian?
If you can't laugh, what good are you?

I thought I won't submit this...but who cares...let it roll. -Pillory

slimshady2357

Post by slimshady2357 »

1) b
2) c
3) b
4) b
5) c
6) a
7) c
8 ) a
9) b
10) d
11) c
If there is a sin against life, its consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life. -- Camus

Interesting Ian

Stimpson J. Cat wrote:1. b
2. c
3. a or b. Not enough information is provided to choose.
4. c
5. b
6. b
7. c
8. None of the above
9. a
10. c or d. I don't know what the intended difference between "likely" and "probable" is.
11. None of the above.
I cannot give you a score unless you answer all questions.

But, having said that:

I agree about question 3. But choose one anyway, huh?

I also absolutely agree about question 8. However, just choose the one you feel most sympathetic about.

Regarding question 10, I agree with you again. I just took likely to mean "on the balance of odds" and probable to mean "very suggestive". As I say, you'll need to choose in order for me to score.

It's only a daft quiz. Let's not try to score cheap points over this.

Not a very well constructed set of questions, if you ask me.
Well, arguably. I think they're as good as any other questionnaire though.
Of course this is extremely misleading. Idealists' recognise science for what it is and its legitimate scope. In this context idealism is actually consonant with science; unlike naturalism and materialism.
An awful strong assertion, coming from somebody who doesn't actually know anything about science, or even understand what science is. :roll:
Your former statement is essentially correct; your latter statement is way off.

Interesting Ian

MRC_Hans wrote:OK, I'll bite and answer without reading subsequent posts. Notr that I give a damn what 'ism II wants to pin on me, but there might be a sensible debate in this.

(1) b

(2) c

(3) b

(4) c

(5) b

(6) b

(7) c

(8) d

(9) a

(10) d

(11) c

Some of the questions are a bit limited in the options.

Hans
Han's, this is not my quiz. I do not say that it accurately reveals a persons views. So let's just get that out of the way. I most certainly do not wish to "pin" any label upon you.

Natuaralist. Again the exact same score as about 4 others now.

Interesting Ian

LostAngeles wrote:
Interesting Ian wrote: (1) Telepathy would occur when one person could receive another person's thoughts, without speech or electronics. On present evidence is telepathy (a) impossible, <b>(b.) unlikely</b>, (c) possible, or (d) actual?

(2) Suppose that there were firm evidence of telepathy. Would this mean that physics ought to be (a) abandoned, (b) supplemented with a very different discipline, <b>(c) expanded</b>, (d) left as it is?

(3) Suppose there were statistical evidence that the positions of the planets influence human fate. Would this be because of (a) an accident, <b>(b) unknown causal processes</b>, (c) something beyond our understanding, or (d) the truth of astrology?

(4) That human beings can survive death is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) unlikely, <b>(d) impossible</b>.

(5) That today's physics may someday be seen as wildly inaccurate myth is (a) impossible, (b) unlikely, <b>(c) possible</b>, (d) probable.

(6) Where are rainbows: (a) in the sky, (b) in people's minds, <b>(c) in raindrops</b>, (d) nowhere?

(7) Numbers are (a) fictions, (b) marks on paper, <b>(c) ideas in our minds</b>, (d) objects independent of us.

(8) Compare democracy (in politics) and energy (in science): <b>(a) energy and democracy are both just concepts we use to describe our experiences</b>; (b) both energy and democracy are dubious concepts; (c) energy is a useful concept and democracy a dubious one; (d) energy is real and democracy is just an idea.

(9) A factor in many diseases is 'stress', which in part depends on a person's experiences and emotions. The suggestion that stress might one day be understood in purely physical terms is (a) likely, <b>(b) possible</b>, (c) improbable, (d) impossible.

(10) Brain chemistry seems to be connected with some severe mental disorders. The possibility that a person's personality might be completely explicable in terms of their brain chemistry is (a) crazy, (b) far-fetched, (c) likely, <b>(d) probable</b>.

(11) People who believe that they are biological organisms governed by biological principles are likely to treat other people in a way that is (a) more understanding than, (b) different from, <b>(c) the same as</b>, (d) less understanding than those who believe that humans are exceptions to the principles governing other animals behaviour.
My answers bolded.
Please give a list like everyone else was good enough to do. I am not going to waste my time with people who just can't be bothered.

Interesting Ian

DanishDynamite wrote:Oh, goodie. An 11-question questionaire that determines my view of the Universe:

1. b
2. c
3. a
4. d
5. b
6. a
7. c
8. d
9. b
10. d
11. c
Naturalist, nearly materialist. Again the exact same score as about 5 others now.

I'll give the scoring system soon. I find it astounding that so many people are getting the exact same score. Maybe adding up wrong?? :shock: