Bishop Berkeley is right!

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
Sundog

Bishop Berkeley is right!

Post by Sundog »

OK, I just wanted to get Ian all excited.

What I mean is this. I threw in a comment in another thread that was probably too off-topic for anyone to respond to there, so let's try it in a thread of its own.

Does love exist when you aren't thinking about it? It isn't a trivial question. Is there a place in the brain where "love" exists and can always be located, or is it simply a transitory pattern of firing neurons that disappears whn it's not being actively thought about?

If you dislike the "love" example, insert anything else you like that is part of your psyche. In what sense can any emotion be said to "exist" when it isn't being actively thought about?
Guy Noir

Re: Bishop Berkeley is right!

Post by Guy Noir »

Define love. (That should derail the discussion forever.)

I think you could restate the concept as; Are abstract ideas real?

Also I think Ian’s position is not quite that of Berkley. But he never answered the more recent questions I posed in my thread, so I am not sure.
[Insert pointless political statement here.]
Sundog

Re: Bishop Berkeley is right!

Post by Sundog »

Guy Noir wrote:I think you could restate the concept as; Are abstract ideas real?
Probably so, if you grant the dubious proposition that things we think about are "real".
Sorgoth

Post by Sorgoth »

In the sense that they are little chemical signals in your mind, yes, they are real.

I would think that anything that affects anything else must be real, right?
Sundog

Post by Sundog »

Sorgoth wrote:In the sense that they are little chemical signals in your mind, yes, they are real.

I would think that anything that affects anything else must be real, right?
Sure, and I agree. But what I really want to know is, does it go away when you aren't thinking about it?
Andonyx

Post by Andonyx »

Hmmm, I understand the quandry from a temporal point of view.

My instinct, though is to look at it this way:

After some time with a partner that inspires this emotional response, I believe merely the site, smell, sound, or mention of their name is all that's required to stimulate that response pattern in the brain. I would consider being in love with someone the state attained when their memories and aspects are associated deeply in your brain with the emotion of love.

So when you have that mechanism tied to a memory or thought, I would say yes love exists even when you are not thinking about it, because the association still exists.
DanishDynamite

Post by DanishDynamite »

Thanks, sundog, for inviting me.

As far as you question goes, let me repeat what I said in another thread:
Makes no difference what you are currently thinking. It's like claiming that a computer couldn't possibly know about Excel as it is currently running Word.
The fact that your brain is currently processing some other sub-routine not related to love, doesn't mean that it won't return to processing the routine "Am I still in love?"
Sundog

Post by Sundog »

DanishDynamite wrote:Thanks, sundog, for inviting me.

As far as you question goes, let me repeat what I said in another thread:
Makes no difference what you are currently thinking. It's like claiming that a computer couldn't possibly know about Excel as it is currently running Word.
The fact that your brain is currently processing some other sub-routine not related to love, doesn't mean that it won't return to processing the routine "Am I still in love?"
Sure. But I think you had an interesting approach with your computer question. It will return to running Excel at some point, but does Excel "exist" when it isn't running? Is the stored program file "Excel", or is it only "Excel" when it's in RAM?

I don't know, I just think it's an interesting question.
DanishDynamite

Post by DanishDynamite »

Sundog wrote:
DanishDynamite wrote:Thanks, sundog, for inviting me.

As far as your question goes, let me repeat what I said in another thread:
Sure. But I think you had an interesting approach with your computer question. It will return to running Excel at some point, but does Excel "exist" when it isn't running?
I would think it exists just as much as you thinking about your love for someone exists while you are busy concentrating on taking a proper dump. :)
Is the stored program file "Excel", or is it only "Excel" when it's in RAM?
My understanding of how the human brain works means that you can't make quite as sharp a differentiation between hardware and software as you can with computers.
I don't know, I just think it's an interesting question.
And you were right in thinking so.
MLynn

Post by MLynn »

This is my first attempt to respond to a question like this. Sundog, I hope this makes sense.

I define love as caring for others more than for myself. I've been married a long time, so even when I'm not consciously thinking of it, it's assumed within myself that I love my hubby and am committed to his life and wellbeing in an on-going fashion. The mental and emotional "programming" are there whether I stop to think about it or not and my actions reflect the love continually.

Does this make sense?
Obey the zombie whippet or she will eat your brain
I for one welcome our zombie Christian overlord - Philip