College admissions bribery scandal

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: College admissions bribery scandal

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:49 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:49 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:35 pm

From a month ago:

(Video at the link.)

Jimmy the Gent
Title: Goodfella

Post by Jimmy the Gent » Fri May 24, 2019 3:51 pm

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-yale-d ... 1552588402
The tipster who led federal authorities to the biggest college-admissions scam they have ever prosecuted was Morrie Tobin, a Los Angeles financial executive who was being investigated in a securities fraud case, according to a person familiar with the investigation.

Mr. Tobin was being questioned in an alleged pump-and-dump investment scheme—in which people conspire to inflate the price of a stock so they can sell it at a profit—when he offered a tip to federal authorities in an effort to obtain leniency.
Who else? What a ballbuster.
You trying to be a wiseguy with me?

Tommy D
Title: Real Funny Guy

Post by Tommy D » Sat May 25, 2019 1:40 am

Fuckin' rat!
What's really funny is . . . the fucking bank job away in Secaucus . . . I'm in the middle of the fucking weeds!

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:18 am

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:49 am

A new "scam" or just creative gaming of the system?

Parents Are Giving Up Custody of Their Kids to Get Need-Based College Financial Aid
Dozens of suburban Chicago families, perhaps many more, have been exploiting a legal loophole to win their children need-based college financial aid and scholarships they would not otherwise receive, court records and interviews show.

Coming months after the national “Varsity Blues” college admissions scandal, this tactic also appears to involve families attempting to gain an advantage in an increasingly competitive and expensive college admissions system.

Parents are giving up legal guardianship of their children during their junior or senior year in high school to someone else — a friend, aunt, cousin or grandparent. The guardianship status then allows the students to declare themselves financially independent of their families so they can qualify for federal, state and university aid, a ProPublica Illinois investigation found.

“It’s a scam,” said Andy Borst, director of undergraduate admissions at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. “Wealthy families are manipulating the financial aid process to be eligible for financial aid they would not be otherwise eligible for. They are taking away opportunities from families that really need it.”
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:07 pm

It's not about "education" or colleges in general, it's about getting a shot at joining the ruling class.

Who already cheat merely by being ruling class.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:41 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:07 pm
It's not about "education" or colleges in general, it's about getting a shot at joining the ruling class.

Who already cheat merely by being ruling class.
You are right. We should level the playing field so that EVERYONE is a member of the ruing class.

I will take on the burden of performing this service, Me and my team of nubile acolytes. We will work diligently to make everyone equal and our requirements are simple. Allow me to make up the laws necessary for this actualization of proletarian elevation. I promise I will not abuse my authority. Naturally, this will be a complicated process and the inner workings of it must remain secret. I will need a small police force for security. Since I AM the people, in effect, there is not need for anyone to possess weapons of any sort. We will be going door to door to collect them and if you are not sure if you have any we will help you look for them.

We will make various drugs legal and freely available. The motto of our new world order will be:

proletarian elevation thru stupification
I know making everyone the same has been tried before but not like this. This time it will work because I can be trusted. See? I said it.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:13 pm

On the contrary ed.

The ruling class universities used to provide a "well rounded education" such that (for example) a BA in English lit was a good preparation for a career in business. So did the second tier colleges such as the SUNY college I attended.

But these days they do not.

I would recommend college for a non-ruling class young person only if one of these things are true:

1) Ambition is a profession such as law or accounting.
2) Ambition is science, medicine, or engineering.
3) Ambition is to be a college professor (you little schmuck) or a schoolteacher (you moron).

There may be a few other exceptions.

But in general if it's just to earn a reasonable living, skilled trade or sales depending on personality type.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:26 am

This is just a book review by George Will, but I enjoyed it:

A Parable of ‘Privilege-Hoarding’
It is not easy being an affluent progressive and a scourge of privilege.
William Shakespeare

robinson
Title: Hmmm ...

Post by robinson » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:14 pm

Did anyone ever go to jail over this?
You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

robinson
Title: Hmmm ...

Post by robinson » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:29 pm

OMG, the suffering, the horror, the horror
You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:58 am

robinson wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:29 pm
OMG, the suffering, the horror, the horror
Felicity Huffman released from prison early, served 11 days of two-week sentence
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/f ... ence-early

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:42 pm

Some cases are still pending. Those who pled guilty, like Felicity Huffman, have already served their sentences, but for those who didn't, they added more charges like money laundering. Those cases could take months or years to resolve. I think Lori Loughlin's case is still pending.

There's a table here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_coll ... ry_scandal

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ac ... l-n1070111
Actress Lori Loughlin and husband facing additional charges in college admissions scandal

Actress Lori Loughlin and 10 other parents accused in a massive college admissions scandal are facing additional charges, the Department of Justice announced Tuesday.

A grand jury in the District of Massachusetts brought the new charges against 11 of the 15 parents charged in the case, including Loughlin and her fashion designer husband, Mossimo Giannulli.

Loughlin and the 10 other parents facing new charges have pleaded not guilty to the previous charges in the alleged scheme.
Ultimately they could spend more time in jail than Huffman and others who took the plea deal.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:12 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:42 pm
Ultimately they could spend more time in jail than Huffman and others who took the plea deal.
Isn't the whole idea of plea deal to limit damage (when you know you're toast, of course) while easing the judge's work?
That process always seemed weird to me.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:24 pm

Witness wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:12 pm
Anaxagoras wrote:
Isn't the whole idea of plea deal to limit damage (when you know you're toast, of course) while easing the judge's work?
That's the idea, yes.
William Shakespeare

shuize

Post by shuize » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:22 am

Witness wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:12 pm
Anaxagoras wrote:

Plea bargaining is more about trading reduced charges and a recommendation by the prosecutor to the judge for a reduced sentence in exchange for making the prosector’s life easier. Judges like plea deals too, and thus will usually go along with the prosecutor’s sentencing recommendations. But prosecutors benefit more.

When you realize that only five to ten percent of all criminal cases go to trial (the rest either get dismissed or a plea deal), you understand that the prosecutors can’t try every case. Going from five percent to ten percent trials would nearly double their work load. When prosecutors were being dicks, the only real leverage we had in the PD’s office was “No more pleas. All our clients want jury trials.”

It rarely came to that. Usually the mere threat was enough. I didn’t like it myself, since it meant individual clients would get slammed. And everyone usually understood what was reasonable. But occasionally prosecutors would try to play hardball for as long as they could (usually new prosecutors). I never saw it last. Not only was it an impossible work load, the judges would get pissed off and start leaning on them, too.