IQ. Do UQ? A Sojourn Among the True Believers.

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:40 pm

Not quite science. Could go in politics. Education it is.

Fred Reed in Unz Review
Writing about intelligence is splendid fun if you like watching dogfights among towering vanities. (This assumes that vanities can tower, though I’m not sure how dogs come into it.)

On one side you have the politically correct protectors of Appropriate Values. These secretly believe that blacks are less intelligent than whites and live in terror that genetics will shortly prove it. This is why they call genetics “pseudoscience.” Which it isn’t.

On the other side you have the cultists of IQ. These are bright white guys who conflate the results of IQ tests with intelligence, a fit which is imperfect. Their political aim is to show that whites, especially IQists, are brighter than blacks and Hispanics and pretty much everybody else, except East Asians who have higher IQs than white guys. Admitting the superiority of the Asians is the political price of showing the inferiority of everyone else.

Politics is a strange place. Anyway they take IQ with the solemnity appropriate to a mass funeral and overlook multiple nonsenses. For example:

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: IQ. Do UQ? A Sojourn Among the True Believers.

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:43 pm

Come the revolution, only stupid people will be smart.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:25 am

I also read the article in that Unz Review about the Mormons killed in Mexico. Interesting and very different from the official media version, but I don't know how much I should believe.

Do you have some info on the Review, Abdul? (As I see it from skimming, it's a weird mix.)

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:25 am

Ron Unz is an eccentric millionaire who provides a platform for outre types.

So you get non-party-line leftists, alt right, and various odds and ends.

A lot of them previously had their own sites and lost them, and none of them advocate violence.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:26 am

What's significant about the Fred Reed piece is you rarely see an anti-IQ editorial from a more or less right wing point of view.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:41 am

I took the MENSA test when I was a young man and qualified to join with an IQ of 148.

Then decided not to join because beer, music and girls seemed like lots more fun than hanging around with a bunch of IQ geeks.

:D
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:03 am

Like how you slipped that in there. You are a GOT villain, the lord of name dropping
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
I care :rub:
My Totem Injun Spirit Animal

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:09 am

Heh. Interestingly, the topic of IQ arose during a conversation with skeptica and she nearly exploded! It's fair to say she's not a fan!
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:53 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:41 am
I took the MENSA test when I was a young man and qualified to join with an IQ of 148.

Then decided not to join because beer, music and girls seemed like lots more fun than hanging around with a bunch of IQ geeks.

I have varied from 95 (bad attitude 5th grader) to 200+ (Army recruiter who promised I'd have a job maintaining nukes and not with a rifle).

Mighty skeptical of the Army test, but two observations about it:

1) I was smart enough not to join.

2) Many years later when I was contractor doing technical writing for IBM, they had a program where you could feed in a document and it would tell you the grade level of the writing. If you specified a grade level, it would highlight the problem areas and explain why. US Army tech manuals has to be fifth grade (sometimes modulo relevant technical jargon). Air Force, tenth grade. I was told this but never saw it in writing, however it was relevant to the job so I believe it is true. I do not know what it is for the other services because that was not relevant to the job.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:11 pm

About 150 seems right for me. It was enough to win me a free scholarship to a top private school, anyway. (Not that I did much with it other than play lots of lacrosse!)

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:16 pm

I dunno, it's a fair measure of how likely people are to be able to comprehend advanced concepts. But, it misses a lot. I was an A grade artist at school and off the scale musically, (pun intended). IQ doesn't test for skills like that.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:49 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:53 pm
asthmatic camel wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:41 am

I have varied from 95 (bad attitude 5th grader) to 200+ (Army recruiter who promised I'd have a job maintaining nukes and not with a rifle).
The armed forces does not give an IQ test. They give the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) test. Your score on which represents the percentile of all others taking the test. The highest possible score is 99. If we convert that to an IQ percentile, a perfect score would represent an IQ of 135 or above; how far above cannot be determined. An IQ of 200 would pretty much make you one of the three smartest people on earth, which I know isn't true because I get two Christmas cards every year and neither are from you. So yea, the recruiter was blowing smoke up your ass.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:37 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:49 pm
So yea, the recruiter was blowing smoke up your ass.
They have been known to do that. :wink: