I'm not going to cheat in exams because

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Geni

I'm not going to cheat in exams because

Post by Geni »

I promised not to
Millions of Chinese students taking university entrance exams this week are being tested for their honesty as well as their academic prowess.
All 7.2 million applicants have been asked to sign a pledge promising not to cheat in the exams, according to the state-run China Daily newspaper.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 786305.stm

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

Actually, I've done that too. Signed an honor pledge, that is. It was standard issue on many of my standardized tests, called the "academic honesty policy". I never cheat, anyways.
You'll all be mine, in the end.

Flannery

Post by Flannery »

Quester_X wrote:Actually, I've done that too. Signed an honor pledge, that is. It was standard issue on many of my standardized tests, called the "academic honesty policy". I never cheat, anyways.
My highschool had the same policy. On each test we were asked to sign an honor pledge. Most of the time the teacher gave out the tests and left the room.

slimshady2357

Post by slimshady2357 »

Flannery wrote:
Quester_X wrote:Actually, I've done that too. Signed an honor pledge, that is. It was standard issue on many of my standardized tests, called the "academic honesty policy". I never cheat, anyways.
My highschool had the same policy. On each test we were asked to sign an honor pledge. Most of the time the teacher gave out the tests and left the room.
What would happen should you cheat and be caught?

Was there a worse punishment for tests where you signed the 'honour pledge'?

Seems to me they were just trying to guilt people into not cheating.

Adam

Flannery

Post by Flannery »

slimshady2357 wrote:
Flannery wrote:

Adam
Well first of all it was a catholic high school. So guilt was often used to persuade behavior. I don’t recall what the punishment was for cheating. I am sure some people did. I just know that I did not. I have always been willing to fail on my own.

slimshady2357

Post by slimshady2357 »

Flannery wrote:
slimshady2357 wrote:
Flannery wrote:

Adam
Well first of all it was a catholic high school. So guilt was often used to persuade behavior. I don’t recall what the punishment was for cheating. I am sure some people did. I just know that I did not. I have always been willing to fail on my own.
Oh jeez, I hope I didn't imply you would know because you cheated :shock:

I just found it weird.... sign this "honour pledge" because if you DO sign and THEN cheat... well! It'll be totally different then when you cheat without signing because you'll ...... what? :D

It just seems to me a pointless thing, anyone cheating will catch mighty trouble anyway, why the need for a signature?

I was just curious as to the reason for it, really.

Adam
If there is a sin against life, its consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life. -- Camus

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

You know, I don't think there is a resonable explanation for honor pledges. I think they were mainly used to make students more aware of the prevalence of cheating. Certainly though, those who would be dishonest enough to cheat wouldn't mind lying as well.
Last edited by Quester_X on Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yahweh

Post by Yahweh »

They signed the pledge, that'll learn 'em...
Jesus, Buffy! [url=http://www.fstdt.com]Fundies Say the Darndest Things![/url]

Post by Guest »

I'm not smart enought to cheat.

Pepper's Ghost

Post by Pepper's Ghost »

What happens if you don't sign?
[size=75]JREF Lurker
U.S.L.S. 1985-????
[url=http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php?p=2836096&postcount=274]"Skeptic Holy War" Banana Buffer[/url]
[url=http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=93580]Read the thread. Stick to the scenario.[/url] [/size]

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

You aren't allowed to take the test. As you can imagine, this would be a BIG problem on standardized tests such as the SATs and ACTs that you need in order to gain acceptance to college.

Pepper's Ghost

Post by Pepper's Ghost »

Quester_X wrote:
You aren't allowed to take the test. As you can imagine, this would be a BIG problem on standardized tests such as the SATs and ACTs that you need in order to gain acceptance to college.
Seems strange that they "ask" you to sign it, they should TELL you to sign it. Ask implies to me that you have a choice and you'd still be able to take it.
[size=75]JREF Lurker
U.S.L.S. 1985-????
[url=http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php?p=2836096&postcount=274]"Skeptic Holy War" Banana Buffer[/url]
[url=http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=93580]Read the thread. Stick to the scenario.[/url] [/size]

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

Like I said, there's no reasonable explaination for honor policies. Who knows what kind of thinking is behind them?

Gregory

Post by Gregory »

I suppose the point is simply to emphasize that the teacher takes honesty seriously.

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

I suppose the point is simply to emphasize that the teacher takes honesty seriously.
A possible explaination, one that is most likely correct. Although it is usually not individual teachers who use honor pledges, but standardized tests. I think the most likely reason they use them is so that afterwards they can punish cheaters fully, since they cannot use the excuse that they didn't "know it was wrong" or didn't "consider what they did cheating".

Saxlover

Post by Saxlover »

I wouldn't have a problem signing such a document. I wouldn't cheat regardless.

Chupacabras

Post by Chupacabras »

Probably the issue here should be what this has to do with real-life situations. I can think of some professions in which knowing the answers from memory is of vital importance (medicine/anatomy in the operating room, or piloting a commercial jetliner), but in many cases you can just pick the phone and call a friend (search the web, look up in a book, etc...). Wouldn't it be better if we were tested to see if we can look the answer instead of knowing the answer?

I try to do my part in my photo class - I tell them about history of photography, but they get their grades based exlusively on the photos they bring or sometimes have to make right in front of me.
... Its full of stars!

rwald

Post by rwald »

I once had an untimed, open-Internet final in a biology class. Easiest class I've ever taken.
For the record, I don't actually know anything. Not even this.

Ever wondered what being a Caltech undergrad was like?
[url=http://caltizzle.caltech.edu]caltizzle.caltech.edu[/url]

DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Why don't you sign it with your fingers crossed behind your back? That invalidates any promise, doesn't it?
Nunc Tutus Exitus Computarus

LizardPeople

Post by LizardPeople »

I usually don't cheat, but once ran into a situation where I cheated a little. It was in college, a take home exam. Everyone was supposed to do their own work, but pretty quickly several large groups of roughly half a dozen people started working together. My partner and I each did our own work seperately, but then (gasp) compared answers just to make sure our answers were in some sort of agreement. I had to cheat just this little bit, didn't I? Because everyone else was working in groups to make sure THEY got everything correct, and I had to compete with them, right? Am I going straight to hell?
Sunshine and Flies