I'm not going to cheat in exams because

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
LostAngeles

Post by LostAngeles »

Once upon a time, I admitted in a class discussion that in a desperate situation and were the means there, I would in fact cheat.

The teacher (who hated me anyway) was shocked. I replied that I was just being honest.

Have I ever cheated? Not really. I've been in the situation (11 one term in Honors Chemistry) and been wholly unable to. Normally, I can do a test easily and b.s. it if I have to. I test well. I do confess to having many derviatves and integrals in my TI-82.

Have I helped others to cheat? For a price.

Would I sign such a pledge? Absolutely.

suezoled

Post by suezoled »

Hmf. I was involved in cheating. It seems someone swiped a copy of a written exam that I had taken in previous years and tried to pass it off as their work... for the same professor. Unfortunately, the professor has a long memory, and, well...

I was also invovled in a high school prank where everyone agreed ahead of time what answers to make on the test (even without reading the questions), and so all the tests came back at 13% corect. But it was just a joke, and we too the real test the following day.
"Nothing goes together like zombies and root beer!" -Me

roger

Post by roger »

DaveH wrote:Why don't you sign it with your fingers crossed behind your back? That invalidates any promise, doesn't it?
Sweet! Good call. I think this works to protect yourself from perjury on the witness stand as well. :D

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

slimshady2357 wrote:
Flannery wrote:
Quester_X wrote:Actually, I've done that too. Signed an honor pledge, that is. It was standard issue on many of my standardized tests, called the "academic honesty policy". I never cheat, anyways.
My highschool had the same policy. On each test we were asked to sign an honor pledge. Most of the time the teacher gave out the tests and left the room.
What would happen should you cheat and be caught?

Was there a worse punishment for tests where you signed the 'honour pledge'?

Seems to me they were just trying to guilt people into not cheating.

Adam
At Oberlin, the Academic Honor Committee had faculty on it, students, and an administrator--I think usually it was the college president. At some time during my college years I read the regulations and standard penalties, but since I was neither serving on the committee nor engaging in any shady behavior, I had no motivation to memorize the penalties, so I didn't.

The student culture at Oberlin was studious--very studious--so the students on the committee were likely to be more stern towards offenders than the faculty, and thus probably needed the calming influence of the faculty.

This cultural situation isn't readily portable to all schools, though.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

rwald

Post by rwald »

Taking DrMatt's example to another school: Caltech has a very strong Honor Code ("No member of the Caltech community shall take unfair advantage of any other member of the Caltech community"), and as a result we have (so far that I know) minimal cheating. We're trusted so much that we have almost no proctored exams. All exams are just packets of papers which are stapled shut. You take the packet back to your dorm room, start a timer, open up the staples, and stop the exam when the timer runs out. You then just drop off the packet in someone's mailbox. Clearly, under this system, cheating is trivial; however, most people just don't do it.

For those students who do cheat, the Board of Control (a committee of students and faculty) starts secret investigations, talks to witnesses, and tries to nullify the unfair advantage while ensuring that the cheating does not happen again. Having not been involved with the BoC (as it's called), I can't directly say how many cases they take, but I've been told by some former members that there are surprisingly few.
For the record, I don't actually know anything. Not even this.

Ever wondered what being a Caltech undergrad was like?
[url=http://caltizzle.caltech.edu]caltizzle.caltech.edu[/url]