Handy French Phrases

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Jeff

Handy French Phrases

Post by Jeff »

French-impaired people need a few handy phrases to use when unfortuneatly surrounded by people who pretend to only speek French.
1. One is, "Feu tu." It's pronounced like "Foo too"
One occasion where this would be appropriate would be if someone used "tu" at you. That means "you" in the familar usage. Sort of like calling Kiwis "Sheepfuckers". It's only appropriate if you're family or friends.

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

Voudrez-vous un phoque? (VOO-dray voo uhn FOCK?)

Translates to "would you like a seal?". Can also mean something else in the minds of people who don't speak French, and thus might be handy at parties. ;)
I just bought real estate in your mind.

Rat

Re: Handy French Phrases

Post by Rat »

Jeff wrote:French-impaired people need a few handy phrases to use when unfortuneatly surrounded by people who pretend to only speek French.
Does this show my ignorance? I read this as 'fire you!' I guess I don't have the hang of the French imperative. Or indeed vocabulary.

Cheers,
Rat.
"Man muß den Menschen vor allem nach seinen Lastern beurteilen. Tugenden können vorgetäuscht sein. Laster sind echt." - Klaus Kinski

UKLS 1988-?

ratbag

Post by ratbag »

Ik verkies het Nederlands te spreken,
oder Deutscher möglicherweise
but, speak French? what the hell for?
Rat

tesseract

Post by tesseract »

Jeff wrote:French-impaired people need a few handy phrases to use when unfortuneatly surrounded by people who pretend to only speek French.
One occasion where this would be appropriate would be if someone used "tu" at you. That means "you" in the familar usage. Sort of like calling Kiwis "Sheepfuckers". It's only appropriate if you're family or friends.
Unless you're in quebec, where "tu" is used in a more relaxed manner. Other fun Quebecois slang; if something is "tout fuckez" it's all screwed up. And they use it as commonly as english canadians saying "all screwed up" -it's not swearing for them.
Thrilled to be here

Badger

Post by Badger »

"Donnez moi un (deux, trois, ..... cinqaunt) bier, s'il vous plait."

What more does one really need to know?

Oh, wait! Aprez combien des biers, vous voulez connaissez "Ou est la salle de bain?"

Apologies for any spelling, tense, or other grammatical errors. It's been a large number of years since highschool french classes.
Nineteen tequilas later, we had a deal.
You are my density. (G. McFly)
As my daddy always said, always check the fine print for penectomies. (punchdrunk)
Opinions aren't like assholes, because I don't know anyone with a million assholes.
Bettie Page set the standard for fetish models. (selwynator12/5/2008 5:34:37 PM)
Rugby players eat their dead.

ratbag

Post by ratbag »

ratbag wrote: but, speak French? what the hell for?
Rat
No offense meant to any Canadians
Rat

exarch

Post by exarch »

Rat wrote:
Does this show my ignorance? I read this as 'fire you!' I guess I don't have the hang of the French imperative. Or indeed vocabulary.
Hmm, I read it as "veut-tu?", meaning "will you?" or "are you up for?", which could be easily misunderstood to have a sexual connotation :D

I'm unaware of any French expression that is pronounced "foo too" though :?

There is of course "foutu"(sp?), which means something like "gone to hell" or "FUBAR", as in "c'est completement foutu", (it's completely messed up).

And "fou tu" would mean, "crazy, you".
[size=75]Lord high emperor Skinny-god's first heir to the throne[/size]

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Sorry, maybe it was "Fout toi." Fou is crazy.

Kilted_Canuck

Post by Kilted_Canuck »

Tu Manges Merde Works for me all the time

exarch

Post by exarch »

Jeff wrote:Sorry, maybe it was "Fout toi." Fou is crazy.
Fout toi would work. Very efficient would also be "ta mère!", although that may just be a European thing.
[size=75]Lord high emperor Skinny-god's first heir to the throne[/size]