What to learn at college(night school)

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?

What to learn at college(night school)

Post by Guest »

I need advice. Having passed my stage 2 Adult English exam ( Way to go me :D :D ) That is it I can't go any further with that at present.

I want to learn some more. I have signed up for computer courses learning the basic, database, presentation, word processing type of thing. Plus maths(base level) Might do touch typing as well yet.

There is a new course on offer which is Archaeology and Law (base level) am I aiming to high for those?

What should I be learning at college(night school), I don't have a clue? I want to learn I've been bitten by the educaton bug. :D

Please advise.

Goshawk

Post by Goshawk »

Actually, anything you sign up to learn will be educational--there's nothing magically "educational" about certain subjects, and "not educational" about others. If pottery or art appreciation or contract bridge or Irish step dancing interests you, then go for it. Something doesn't have to be a college-type "course" in a college-type subject to be "educational".

Community colleges, and their Adult Continuing Education programs, totally rock. Props to you for having the smarts to take advantage of a resource that, sadly, goes unused by most people.

Post by Guest »

Thanks well I signed up for a few courses. Sadly my local college isn't blessed with many things. As I an unable to get to other colleges I am stuck with their choice for the time being.

I can't wait. :D

Flannery

Post by Flannery »

Oh yes . . . I too have been bitten by the education bug. I love community college. I spent the day at the admissions office. I desperately want to take at least one class this term. It has been three years since my last go and it is killing me to have been idle for so long. I really love to learn. I was sidetracked with pregnancies. Sadly, I don't think I can afford to go this term. I am going to spend the next few months trying to get scholarships and financial aid. Wish me luck.
(on seeing a former lover for the first time in years) "I thought I told you to wait in the car."
~Tallulah Bankhead

OleRon

Post by OleRon »

Depends what you want to do with the qualifications. If you want to learn simply for the love of learning then you have made a good start already. Maths and English will have given you a good base education. There is absolutely nothing wrong with studying a subject simply because you like learning.

If however you wish to use the qualifications to help with getting a job/swiching careers then I would suggest thinking about the computer courses. Most jobs now require at least some IT literacy.

Personally I have always preferred 'book learning' to instructor-led courses, mostly because I can take things at my own pace. On some courses I've found that the class moves either too quickly or not quickly enough. It's always good though to have someone to query things with if you are having difficulty. I have recently found that internet forums like this one or the JREF have an abundance of smart people in various fields to bounce things off. And they're free!

Good luck in whatever you decide. :)

exarch

Post by exarch »

OleRon wrote:And they're free!
That's just what they want you to think ;)

I have been thinking about doing some evening classes again. They're ideal for learning a new language. Spanish is still on my list, but sadly, I just started out at a new gym this summer, and going there a few times a week is really eating up all my time :(

I'm also contemplating going back to school full-time, but the tought of giving up my job and relying on unemployment (there's a few special programs I've heard of that allow you to keep full benefits as long as you're studying, but they require you to pas every year, and they only have them for specific fields for which there is currently a shortage in qualified people :/) really scares me.
[size=75]Lord high emperor Skinny-god's first heir to the throne[/size]

Saxlover

Post by Saxlover »

I followed Fluffy's lead and took up ECDL (european computer driving licence) and touch typing/word processing course. The latter has been suspended for a week.

The former I can say at least I turned on the computers compared to those that had more computer experience than I. :lol:

Although I don't understand power-point presentation that well (first lesson) I enjoyed the course no end. The teacher was lovely, it showed she loved teaching and the course. I think that helped greatly:D

As most of the other students on my course were NHS employees. It seems this was a good course choice and a possible career opportunity.

Saxlover

Post by Saxlover »

exarch wrote:
OleRon wrote:And they're free!
That's just what they want you to think ;)

I have been thinking about doing some evening classes again. They're ideal for learning a new language. Spanish is still on my list, but sadly, I just started out at a new gym this summer, and going there a few times a week is really eating up all my time :(

I'm also contemplating going back to school full-time, but the tought of giving up my job and relying on unemployment (there's a few special programs I've heard of that allow you to keep full benefits as long as you're studying, but they require you to pas every year, and they only have them for specific fields for which there is currently a shortage in qualified people :/) really scares me.
True I had to pay for my course which was just short of £200, for the ECDL. Though it was said some employers will actually fund some of the courses. Why not ask yours if they would?