Tokyo school to host first robot teacher

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

UPI via Space Daily
Students at a Tokyo primary school will soon be learning from the first robot teacher, a Japanese science professor says.

University of Tokyo Professor Hiroshi Kobayashi has created a robot capable of teaching human students while also expressing a limited range of emotions, including anger in case of unruly children, The Daily Telegraph said Thursday.

The robot is named Saya and has been under development for 15 years leading up to the scheduled school trial. The robot's 18 facial motors are what give it the ability to mimic certain human emotions while the humanoid's other inner workings allow it to speak multiple languages and set tasks, the newspaper said.

Saya's planned appearance at the primary school will mark the most recent attempt by Japan to integrate robotics into everyday life.

The Telegraph said the Japanese government is hopeful that by 2015, each home in Japan will be equipped with a robot. To meet this end, the government has invested $35 million in the technological field.
Emphasis added. :o
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

I am sorry to say what we are all thinking. The Japanese are pretty creepy people.

(n.b. I know that they have every right to be since they were nuked by their round eyed imperialist oppressors. I also know that they are, paradoxically, not creepy. What we see as "creepy" is mearly a quaint cultural thing to be applauded and given equal time in your own country if requested to do so)
About that stereo

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

ed wrote:I am sorry to say what we are all thinking. The Japanese are pretty creepy people.
I absolutely disagree.

Bring on the robots! 8)

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

OK. If Doctor X's photo is for real, that is a bit much.

But somehow I like it.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Agree with ed on this one. Big question in my tiny Earth mind is: Why? Human teachers not quite good enough for the little yellow bastards? And why does every home need a robot?

Batshit.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

It's the demographic collapse.

Cultural continuity doesn't require genetic relatedness, but the Japanese don't want immigrants. And probably couldn't assimilate them anyway.

Unlike Koreans or whoever, robots can be programmed to be Japanese. 8)

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

sparks wrote:Agree with ed on this one. Big question in my tiny Earth mind is: Why? Human teachers not quite good enough for the little yellow bastards? And why does every home need a robot?

Batshit.
So that VIKI can protect us from ourselves. Duh!
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

gnome

Post by gnome »

What was that movie about the school where they hired robot-teachers to keep order and they started killing the students instead?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

gnome wrote:What was that movie about the school where they hired robot-teachers to keep order and they started killing the students instead?
Class of 1999

gnome

Post by gnome »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
gnome wrote:What was that movie about the school where they hired robot-teachers to keep order and they started killing the students instead?
Class of 1999
Thanks!!! That's the one.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

They mean to win Wimboldton.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Post by 196 »

I find it hard to see how a robot could ever simulate the enthusiasm, flexibility, and human qualities that a teacher brings to the classroom. When I'm teaching I am also modeling normal human social interactions. I am always looking for moments in the class where it is beneficial to stray from the prepared lesson to build upon the students' expressed interests. I've even been known to shout and jump around when my students come up with something completely awesome!! Some days we learn there has been a death in this small, close community and I give students a chance to talk about it. Last week, I found a young girl sitting in the hall looking sad. I stopped to ask her if she was OK. Her mood seemed to brighten just from me asking. I’m no Marva Collins, but I care about our students, and I let them know that I care.

I think robots have a place in our modern lives, but I don't think it is in teaching. I think Japanese children would be better served if the government recruited young teachers from other countries and trained them on Japanese culture.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

gnome wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Class of 1999
Thanks!!! That's the one.

It goes again to everyone around here having their specialty. :wink:

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Update: More on the same story, with pictures.

Saya-sensei: Synthetic substitute teacher
Pink Tentacle (blog)
196 wrote: ... I find it hard to see how a robot could ever simulate the enthusiasm, flexibility, and human qualities that a teacher brings to the classroom. ...
But what about substitute teachers? :twisted: