Diploma Denied To Student Who Bowed, Blew Kiss To Family

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?

Post by 196 »

Mary Denney said she can't believe how her son's taking a bow and blowing a kiss on stage was grounds for the superintendent to withhold his diploma.

<snip>

"There was no misbehavior. Showboating is not misbehavior," Mary Denney said. "A bow, a kiss to your mom is not misbehavior. There was no need of my son not getting his diploma."
We're having our graduation on Monday. This year we have six graduates (only one last year and none during the two years of hell prior to that). I've taught them all at least once. These kids have worked hard and have earned a moment in the spotlight.

Short of a kid mooning me with "to 196" written on his or her cheeks, I think they can do whatever they want on stage and should leave with a diploma. In fact, I might even blow kisses or do cartwheels myself, I'm so proud of them!

I've already telegraphed my opinion, but I want to know what you think. Did the Superintendent overreact, or is she justified in trying to keep the graduation ceremony dignified?
196 reflected in a window

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Over bloody reaction. C'mon, damnit. It's just high school.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Mentat

Post by Mentat »

Plain absurd. Not only withholding the diploma, but actually doing this in front of everybody in a ceremony for the students.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

clarsct

Post by clarsct »

Hrm.

Superintendent, eh?

I think I would take that matter to the school board.

Is it bad when the school administration is more juvenile than the students?
When Religion becomes State, and breaking the Law becomes a Sin, then Dissenters will become Heretics.

"Reading other people's opinions is a good way to avoid thinking." --My Wife

JEROME DA GNOME

Post by JEROME DA GNOME »

Watch the defenders of Cartman.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious.

Update

Post by 196 »

A small update
Parents to vent after graduation crackdown
David Hopkins, chairman of the Board of Directors for School Administrative District 6, says the goal of Monday's meeting is to figure out how to make graduation better. He says parents and students need to decide whether they want a “refined event” or “a circus.”
Well, there's your problem. Someone thinks that kids being kids = a circus. I think that for the sake of everyone, control freaks should stay away from working with kids.
196 reflected in a window

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Control freaks, be they adults or kids, need to be deported to another planet. :!:
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

Um, where in the rules does it say you can't say "hi mom"?

That Superintendent ought to be recalled. Now.
Formerly jj, the enemy of the people, aka the bullies who rant and lie here.

Mentat

Post by Mentat »

jj wrote:Um, where in the rules does it say you can't say "hi mom"?

Volume 5, Chapter 14, Section 10, Rule 45.3, 7th edition, 5th paragraph in:
... and the during the graduation ceremony the student shall make no eye contact, nor acknowledgement to, but not limited to, the following: parents, guardians, parents of guardians, siblings, household pets, coworkers, and lemurs. Doing so will result in a DOD (Denial Of Diploma). ...

Incidentally, Rule 46.2 prohibits smiling, and Rule 46.3 prohibits laughing.

Our graduations had a whole bunch of rules. I zoned out when the principal recited them, every time. Including during the ceremony. Half out of boredom, half due to the lack of focus from hunger, and half due to the lack of focus from an already short attention span.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

Mentat wrote:

... and the during the graduation ceremony the student shall make no eye contact, nor acknowledgement to, but not limited to, the following: parents, guardians, parents of guardians, siblings, household pets, coworkers, and lemurs. Doing so will result in a DOD (Denial Of Diploma). ...

Our graduations had a whole bunch of rules. I zoned out when the principal recited them, every time. Including during the ceremony. Half out of boredom, half due to the lack of focus from hunger, and half due to the lack of focus from an already short attention span.
No matter, the person who made these rules can always be recalled by popular vote, I suspect, or at least the person who ENFORCES them via schoolboard.
Formerly jj, the enemy of the people, aka the bullies who rant and lie here.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

jj wrote:
Mentat wrote:

No matter, the person who made these rules can always be recalled by popular vote, I suspect, or at least the person who ENFORCES them via schoolboard.
Age of majority. The kid can run for school board. On the "Focus on What Matters" ticket.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

DrMatt wrote:Age of majority. The kid can run for school board. On the "Focus on What Matters" ticket.
8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.