More money for education == better grades.

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

More money for education == better grades.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

But the meanies vetoed it. :evil:

District nixes cash-for-grades fundraiser
News & Observer (NC)
Selling candy didn't raise much money last year, so a Goldsboro middle school tried selling grades.

However, the fundraiser came to an abrupt halt today after a story in The News & Observer raised concerns about the practice of selling grades.

Wayne County school administrators stopped the fundraiser, issuing a statement this morning.

"Yesterday afternoon, the district administration met with [Rosewood Middle School principal] Mrs. Shepherd and directed the the following actions be taken: (1) the fundraiser will be immediately stopped; (2) no extra grade credit will be issued that may have resulted from donations; and (3) beginning Novermber 12, all donations will be returned."

A $20 donation to Rosewood Middle School would have gotten a student 20 test points - 10 extra points on two tests of the student's choosing. That could raise a B to an A, or a failing grade to a D.

Susie Shepherd, the principal, said a parent advisory council came up with the idea, and she endorsed it. She said the council was looking for a new way to raise money.

"Last year they did chocolates, and it didn't generate anything," Shepherd said.

Shepherd rejected the suggestion that the school is selling grades. Extra points on two tests won't make a difference in a student's final grade, she said.

It's wrong to think that "one particular grade could change the entire focus of nine weeks," Shepherd said.

State education officials, who typically shy from talking about grading at individual schools, were not pleased to hear of Rosewood's effort.

Carmen Zepp, a Raleigh parent, said there should be policies against offering students test credit for anything other than what they've learned.

Zepp objected this year when her daughter's social studies teacher at Knightdale High School had students bring to school tissues and hand sanitizer. The supplies counted for 25 percent of a "supply check" grade.

"It's awful," Zepp said. "It's indicative of the fact that our schools don't have enough money. They can't get tissues or hand sanitizer or whatever without bribery. And that's pretty sad."

Shepherd, the Rosewood principal, said her school needs more technology. She said any money raised would help buy digital cameras for the school's computer lab and a high-tech blackboard.

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Mentat

Post by Mentat »

I've been to a Goldsboro high school for a race. They barely had enough runners to qualify as a team. Anywho, back on topic, from what I've heard of their schools, more people learn by using a book as their pillow than going to class. Not one of North Carolina's gems, for sure. And this is from the state that is one of the lowest performing k12 public schools in the country.

A little while ago, I've heard of talks of closing down schools in Goldsboro because they were so bad. Admittedly, it's hearsay, so take it for what it's worth.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

digital cameras for the school's computer lab and a high-tech blackboard
Mmm, yes, trendy lab equipment. If we're equipping kids to have an 18-month career using the technology that was current when they left high school. Principles of learning, self-sufficiency, critical thinking, and experience... these kinds of things only belong in ritzy sneering places, right?
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Mentat

Post by Mentat »

Around here, a computer lab is a closet with an abacus. :P

Wealthy schools may be even able to afford for lighting in the lab.
It's "pea-can", man.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Mentat wrote:Around here, a computer lab is a closet with an abacus. :P

Everyone has a bad english comp day from time to time Mentat, but........what the fuck are you trying to say here? :lol:
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Mentat

Post by Mentat »

sparks wrote:
Mentat wrote:Around here, a computer lab is a closet with an abacus. :P

Everyone has a bad english comp day from time to time Mentat, but........what the fuck are you trying to say here? :lol:
The rest of us po' fokes have to share an abacus in the dark. :P
It's "pea-can", man.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

I'll just bet that gets real interesting when you have large numbers to carry.......................................... :shock:
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Mentat

Post by Mentat »

sparks wrote:I'll just bet that gets real interesting when you have large numbers to carry.......................................... :shock:
We get a second abacus.
It's "pea-can", man.

Cool Hand

Post by Cool Hand »

Mentat wrote:
sparks wrote:I'll just bet that gets real interesting when you have large numbers to carry.......................................... :shock:
We get a second abacus.
You don't need even one.

CH
....life purpose is pay taxes -- pillory 12/05/13

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

"Time" -- Pink Floyd

Mentat

Post by Mentat »

Cool Hand wrote:
Mentat wrote:
We get a second abacus.
You don't need even one.

CH
I remember seeing that in some documentary. Absurdly fast. How good are they when they've done that for twenty years?
It's "pea-can", man.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

1980-1985, Irvin E. Houck Computing Center at Oberlin had a Xerox Sigma 9 with 512 KB (that's 0.50 MB) RAM in it (they'd gotten it a few years earlier and gotten rid of it a few years later, but those were the years that I personally witnessed it). It was two rows of cable-interconnected boxes the size of fridges, 9 boxes in all, one with blinky lights and toggle switches all over it.
The one with lights and switches on it was the equivalent roughly of a PPC chip. Chip, mind you, not computer.
On the front was a little clear case.
Inside the case was an abacus.
Atop the case was a sign: "In emergency, break glass."
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.